• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Ho ho ho, well done to the Panthers for playing "Shipping Up to Boston" in the arena as the final seconds ticked off the clock. The only thing nicer than beating a Boston team is rubbing their faces in it.

A joyous occasion calls for celebration in the form of an updated avatar; "We See Red" edition for the remainder of the season!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How nice of NHL live, they put together a highlight package of Crosby skating around during the game last night so Spire and Alucard have something to masturbate too during breakfast.

t0mp

How nice of NHL live, they put together a highlight package of Crosby skating around during the game last night so Spire and Alucard have something to masturbate too during breakfast.
My favorite kind of montage! And only one sidney shop last night from alu.. I wonder if theres some deeper meaning behind it..

But seriously, pens gaf: hows staal? That high stick looked bad

Merguson

Banned
Fucker won't sign. Going UFA because of a loophole too if i'm not mistaken... Probably going to check out his options...

Hm...

Schultz and Gardiner said:
Although they aren’t bolstering the same blue line anymore, they stay in touch and even make plans when possible.

“I was actually talking to him a couple of days ago and I’m going to go back to Wisconsin for the All-Star break to see him and get some skating in,” said Gardiner. “It”s good working with him because we teach each other little things.”

Even though they are part of two different organizations, being just 21 years old, both should have lengthy NHL careers ahead of them; which leaves the door open for a potential reunion one day.

“We’ve joked around that someday, maybe we’ll play together again.”

It's a conspiracy! No really, hope he signs with the Ducks. They've been extremely patient with his development.

Ho ho ho, well done to the Panthers for playing "Shipping Up to Boston" in the arena as the final seconds ticked off the clock. The only thing nicer than beating a Boston team is rubbing their faces in it.

A joyous occasion calls for celebration in the form of an updated avatar; "We See Red" edition for the remainder of the season!

Another fellow Panthers fan? Yes! I need change avatar too.

Serious question: How awkward does it feel to watch a hockey game in May/September in Florida?!?

Been following the Panthers since 95 when hey went to the cup. For years it has been poor management and "1 man" teams (Bure, Oli J, Loungo) now though with a team of vagabonds and competent coaching the team is playing very well. It's more of a relief to see the team playing as a whole and seeing the Cats actually fighting for points rather than being 2 points and South Beach for the league.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Markov is injured and won't play tonight.

Hee haw.

That's all you really needed to say.

Dubbedinenglish said:
Been following the Panthers since 95 when hey went to the cup. For years it has been poor management and "1 man" teams (Bure, Oli J, Loungo) now though with a team of vagabonds and competent coaching the team is playing very well. It's more of a relief to see the team playing as a whole and seeing the Cats actually fighting for points rather than being 2 points and South Beach for the league.

And the league is grateful for their service.

NwkKu.gif

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Serious question: How awkward does it feel to watch a hockey game in May/September in Florida?!?

Dunno, I'm watching them from California - feels pretty good from here!

Not sure why people marvel at the idea of hockey teams in warm climates... there's this marvelous thing called air conditioning, and we can make ice as good as anywhere else to play on. People love to mock the turnout for Panthers games, but every time they've been competitive that arena gets filled. There is a fanbase there in Miami that will go to games when the team shows that they're actually putting an effort into winning.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Dunno, I'm watching them from California - feels pretty good from here!

Not sure why people marvel at the idea of hockey teams in warm climates... there's this marvelous thing called air conditioning, and we can make ice as good as anywhere else to play on. People love to mock the turnout for Panthers games, but every time they've been competitive that arena gets filled. There is a fanbase there in Miami that will go to games when the team shows that they're actually putting an effort into winning.

I remember thr Vancouver-Nashville series were they had MASSIVE ice problems with the heat... And I have no idea what the reputation of hockey in the south is, only from what i read, not really first-hand accounts

Socreges

Banned
Iginla is an awesome HOF hockey player and the only reason (ignoring Kipper) that the Flames haven't been a bottom feeder year-in, year-out. He absolutely deserves a Cup... but fuck the Flames. They can continue to suck until the end of time. Iggy will need to go elsewhere.

My only thing about Iginla is that the moment he's being interviewed he transforms into this disingenuous "aw gee heck" guy that puts on a smile every three seconds and fake chuckles without fail. It's like he's been grooming himself for a place in broadcasting for years.

How.... the fuck is that news?

(not directed at you, Spire)

dem

Iginla disappears and looks asleep on the ice half of the year.
He sets the tone for the flames terrible seasons.

If I was a Flames fan I'd want him gone.

Socreges

Banned
Iginla disappears and looks asleep on the ice half of the year.
He sets the tone for the flames terrible seasons.

If I was a Flames fan I'd want him gone.
Not at all the case. He'll have slumps and high points like any other forward, but there's no rhyme or reason to them. But when they're good it's probably because he's playing at his best.

Socreges

Banned
Surely you don't buy into that speculative fiction still.
It's a trap system, even though Hitchcock doesn't want to identify it as such (maybe because he knows his players would be less likely to buy into it then). It's not a traditional, sit back and wait trap, but still a trap. I love Hitchcock's way of framing it:

"Our system isn’t a trap -- it’s a really aggressive reload. But you end up trapping people because they’re overwhelmed and forcing pucks through traffic."

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Christ, I didn't realize edmonton was playing the flames and the yotes one after another. Please stop sucking for a couple of games.

:(
Amen. Kaberle is injured too wtf? Last time I checked his gf gave birth not him, Markov out only helps the tank so w/e, Randy should be playing Budaj though.

belvedere

Junior Butler
It's a trap system, even though Hitchcock doesn't want to identify it as such (maybe because he knows his players would be less likely to buy into it then). It's not a traditional, sit back and wait trap, but still a trap. I love Hitchcock's way of framing it:

"Our system isn’t a trap -- it’s a really aggressive reload. But you end up trapping people because they’re overwhelmed and forcing pucks through traffic."

This is closer, but insinuates any high pressure system playing team plays the trap.

It’s the new defacto term for teams who give very little space. In the past trap would describe boring teams that waited for turnovers and not typically describe teams who regularly outshoot their opponents by a significant margin. It’s clear that many teams, including the Blues force turnovers as a result of constant pressure. That’s hardly the same thing as waiting around for a turnover.

Socreges

Banned
How is it not?
Oh, you.

This is closer, but insinuates any high pressure system playing team plays the trap.

It’s the new defacto term for teams who give very little space. In the past trap would describe boring teams that waited for turnovers and not typically describe teams who regularly outshoot their opponents by a significant margin. It’s clear that many teams, including the Blues force turnovers as a result of constant pressure. That’s hardly the same thing as waiting around for a turnover.
I've missed the last two games against the Blues, but my understanding was that the idea is still to clog the neutral zone and inhibit any amount of offensive flow (for the opposition and therefore for themselves). It's not just about high pressure.

St Louis has the best record in the NHL, but is still 21st in goals for, so I don't think pointing to shots means much of anything. The Blues have by far the lowest scoring games on average.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I've missed the last two games against the Blues, but my understanding was that the idea is still to clog the neutral zone and inhibit any amount of breakout flow (for the opposition and therefore for themselves). It's not just about high pressure.

St Louis has the best record in the NHL, but is still 21st in goals for, so I don't think pointing to shots means much of anything. The Blues have by far the lowest scoring games on average.

I'm not saying the term isn't accurate in some ways, but it seems to be a bit generalized lately.

Acid08

Banned
I'm not saying the term isn't accurate in some ways, but it seems to be a bit generalized lately.

I've always been talking about the neutral zone trap. Blues play it to a tee and run interference at the same time. It doesn't get called because of the way the NHL seems to be calling neutral zone interference this season i.e. not at all. It's incredibly passive and boring to watch.

Heretic

Christ, I didn't realize edmonton was playing the flames and the yotes one after another. Please stop sucking for a couple of games.

:(

I've always had a soft spot for the Avs and now even more that you guys have Giggy so I promise you that I will do everything in my power to have the Ducks beat the queens tonight in regulation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom