• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always had a soft spot for the Avs and now even more that you guys have Giggy so I promise you that I will do everything in my power to have the Ducks beat the queens tonight in regulation!

I expect you to show up with rink side seats and hassle the fuck out of Quick. NOTHING LESS TO BE AN HONORARY AVS FAN.

Heretic

I expect you to show up with rink side seats and hassle the fuck out of Quick. NOTHING LESS TO BE AN HONORARY AVS FAN.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here... I said soft spot! Not a "fan"! Those days ended when the rivalry between the redwings and the Avs ended!

Acid, I've accepted the fact that we're not playoff bound. It is up to you guys to help make sure the queens don't make it too! This is our objective. Flames fans, Avs fans, Sharks fans, Coyotes fan(s?) ... we have the same enemy and for that we unite for this goal and this goal alone. Down with the queens!

Perhaps first-line center Ryan O'Reilly should be considered in the mix with those unique skaters capable of shutting down opposing players while providing occasional strikes on offense.

Hey Ryan, do you consider yourself worthy of the Selke Trophy as the League's best defensive forward?

"Wow, to even be considered for an award like that would be an absolute honor," O'Reilly told NHL.com. "I always approach a game from my own end out and always want to work hard defensively because only then do you become more confident in the other areas of your game."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=622570

Glad to see him get some recognition. He has been as clutch for us this year as Landy has.

Cake Boss

Banned
Ryan Oreilly is fucking awesome, Colorado have done some great drafting in the last couple of years, now if only Duschene could get going and breakout Colorado would be dangerous.

Iginla disappears and looks asleep on the ice half of the year.
He sets the tone for the flames terrible seasons.

If I was a Flames fan I'd want him gone.

Screw all you guys, dem speaks the TRUTH.

I live and work in the heart of the people that pay his salary.

The 2 weeks before the 5 game Flame winning streak, Iggy was the whole talk of the entire Flame fanbase here of how Feaster should have unloaded him at the deadline.

They haven't said anything since, obviously.

But that's how the Calgary fanbase is, so wishy washy and bandwagon to the extreme, like Canuck levels.

I know they will make it in either 7th or 8th due to their goaltending but their fanbase deserves 9th and the worst draft pick possible of a non-playoff team.

Iginla is an awesome HOF hockey player and the only reason (ignoring Kipper) that the Flames haven't been a bottom feeder year-in, year-out. He absolutely deserves a Cup... but fuck the Flames. They can continue to suck until the end of time. Iggy will need to go elsewhere.

My only thing about Iginla is that the moment he's being interviewed he transforms into this disingenuous "aw gee heck" guy that puts on a smile every three seconds and fake chuckles without fail. It's like he's been grooming himself for a place in broadcasting for years.

How.... the fuck is that news?

(not directed at you, Spire)

I'm still not sure how it took so long to give him credit. It seemed pretty obvious that was the secondary assist on it. Maybe they did it just for the attention.

Socreges

Banned
Screw all you guys, dem speaks the TRUTH.

I live and work in the heart of the people that pay his salary.

The 2 weeks before the 5 game Flame winning streak, Iggy was the whole talk of the entire Flame fanbase here of how Feaster should have unloaded him at the deadline.

They haven't said anything since, obviously.

But that's how the Calgary fanbase is, so wishy washy and bandwagon to the extreme, like Canuck levels.

I know they will make it in either 7th or 8th due to their goaltending but their fanbase deserves 9th and the worst draft pick possible of a non-playoff team.
Oh, the delicious salty tears of an Oilers fan digging into his two successful rivals.

So first they want Iginla to be traded. Then the trade deadline passes and a trade is no longer possible. Suddenly they're not asking for him to be traded anymore! Flip floppers!

I feel the same way about Iginla that I do Stastny. Only Iginla has at least a couple of great seasons under his belt. The way we're handling Stastny disgusts me and I'd like to see him traded or given a heavily discounted contract in the future. The franchise was never really placed directly on his shoulders but it was always hinted at him becoming our future Captain and catalyst for success. Maybe he'll have an amazing season next year and I'll eat my words from then on, but I've run out of hope for that.

Iginla is a good guy and a very talented player but he has failed to deliver on expectations time and time again. The blame shouldn't be placed squarely on his shoulders, but I can't remember the last time I saw him actually come out on the ice with passion when his team needed it. That said, I only catch flames games here and there. I'm willing to accept that I'm wrong.

Cactus

Banned
I feel the same way about Iginla that I do Stastny. Only Iginla has at least a couple of great seasons under his belt. The way we're handling Stastny disgusts me and I'd like to see him traded or given a heavily discounted contract in the future. The franchise was never really placed directly on his shoulders but it was always hinted at him becoming our future Captain and catalyst for success. Maybe he'll have an amazing season next year and I'll eat my words from then on, but I've run out of hope for that.

Iginla is a good guy and a very talented player but he has failed to deliver on expectations time and time again. The blame shouldn't be placed squarely on his shoulders, but I can't remember the last time I saw him actually come out on the ice with passion when his team needed it. That said, I only catch flames games here and there. I'm willing to accept that I'm wrong.

How has he failed to deliver? He's been a dominant NHL player for pretty much his entire career and he's registered almost a point per game in the playoffs.

The Flames haven't had much success while he's been there but he's the last person that should be blamed, IMO.

How has he failed to deliver? He's been a dominant NHL player for pretty much his entire career and he's registered almost a point per game in the playoffs.

The Flames haven't had much success while he's been there but he's the last person that should be blamed, IMO.

Because great players can lift moderately skilled teams, and it's been a long time since the flames have actually had a 'bad' roster. If you can take a look at Iginla's career and tell me that it's nothing short of failing to deliver that he has zero cup rings then maybe our standards for delivering differ far too much to see eye to eye. Of course management and coaching play a role as well, and I'm not ignoring that. I just feel as a whole if he deserved the praise many give him here he'd have a championship to speak of.

Also, if we're throwing out stats that arguably mean anything - 54 playoff games and 5 GWG.

zedge

Oh, the delicious salty tears of an Oilers fan digging into his two successful rivals.

So first they want Iginla to be traded. Then the trade deadline passes and a trade is no longer possible. Suddenly they're not asking for him to be traded anymore! Flip floppers!

LOL

No doubt. Flames fanbase is no different than any other. I doubt everyone wanted Iggy traded, maybe a very vocal few that the media made a big deal about, but thats it. Same shit happens anywhere with any sport. Period.

Cactus

Banned
Because great players can lift moderately skilled teams, and it's been a long time since the flames have actually had a 'bad' roster. If you can take a look at Iginla's career and tell me that it's nothing short of failing to deliver that he has zero cup rings then maybe our standards for delivering differ far too much to see eye to eye. Of course management and coaching play a role as well, and I'm not ignoring that. I just feel as a whole if he deserved the praise many give him here he'd have a championship to speak of.

Also, if we're throwing out stats that arguably mean anything - 54 playoff games and 5 GWG.

It's easy to blame the star player for a team's failings, but Iginla can only do so much. If he scores 30-40 goals and the Flames still miss the playoffs, what more could he have done? He can't magically make his supporting cast better hockey players.

All he can really do is put up points and contribute as best he can to the team's effort to win, and I think he's done that. He's never led his team to a Stanley cup, but then again, it's not like the Flames have been cup favourites in recent memory.

It's easy to blame the star player for a team's failings, but Iginla can only do so much. If he scores 30-40 goals and the Flames still miss the playoffs, what more could he have done? He can't magically make his supporting cast better hockey players.

All he can really do is put up points and contribute as best he can to the team's effort to win, and I think he's done that. He's never led his team to a Stanley cup, but then again, it's not like the Flames have been cup favourites in recent memory.

He's the biggest contributor to the success of the Flames but is incapable of taking the team on his back when it matters most. That's my point. Great player, great guy, no extra gear to speak of.

Edit: No reason to repeat myself again though. Won't be around to watch much tonight so I'll just have to hope.

Socreges

Banned

Sundin didn't even take his team to game 7 of the SCF like Iginla did, and I still wouldn't say he "failed to deliver". This isn't the NBA where great players make such a massive difference. It's always by committee. Iginla has always been an awesome performer in the playoffs. He deserves the praise.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

So basically your reason is that you have a dumb cliche stuck in your head and can't get rid of it. You can hardly fault Jarome for that.

So basically your reason is that you have a dumb cliche stuck in your head and can't get rid of it. You can hardly fault Jarome for that.

Standard =/= cliche. I don't expect every great player to be a champion, just the ones that people talk about as though they've achieved the highest of merits.

Sundin didn't even take his team to game 7 of the SCF like Iginla did, and I still wouldn't say he "failed to deliver". This isn't the NBA where great players make such a massive difference. It's always by committee. Iginla has always been an awesome performer in the playoffs. He deserves the praise.

See above.

Edit: Steppin' out now. Feel free to dog pile and I'll get to it when I'm back.

Socreges

Banned
Standard =/= cliche. I don't expect every great player to be a champion, just the ones that people talk about as though they've achieved the highest of merits.
Huh?

Marcel Dionne might have been even more highly regarded had he won a Cup with the Kings, but it's not as if he isn't spoken of with great esteem.

With all due respect, your argument here is pretty stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom