• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erdrick

As soon as Shane Doan retires, that'll be the last connection I feel we have in Winnipeg to the Coyotes. Aside from the hanging banners for the old Jets like Hull, Hawerchuk and Steen, that is. As if Phoenix appreciates our history.

Just ship them off to Quebec already. I'd much have my old franchise play somewhere where they would be appreciated and genuinely cared about.

How much are Coyote's tickets anyway? Pathetic how the attendance there is so abysmal. Sure there are fans who care there, but not *enough*

And when they move, we can reclaim our records back for our own again.

Edit: @Smiley90- Go Canucks then!*

But not on Thursday.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
PSHyb.png

"Announced" attendance LOL
:lol such a dick. But yea the team to Quebec please, we could use a legit rival besides Boston.

Should be a good Sens vs. Hawks game tonight.

Former crazy ex-Sens goalie vs. the current crazy Sens goalie, we may even see a goalie fight.

Marvie_3

Banned
As soon as Shane Doan retires, that'll be the last connection I feel we have in Winnipeg to the Coyotes. Aside from the hanging banners for the old Jets like Hull, Hawerchuk and Steen, that is. As if Phoenix appreciates our history.

Just ship them off to Quebec already. I'd much have my old franchise play somewhere where they would be appreciated and genuinely cared about.

How much are Coyote's tickets anyway? Pathetic how the attendance there is so abysmal. Sure there are fans who care there, but not *enough*

And when they move, we can reclaim our records back for our own again.
Almost all their lower bowl season tickets were $45 per game before the season, exceptions being the first few rows($135-$255) and 4 full sections by center ice($80).

Upper bowl season tickets were $10-$25 per game.

Should be a good Sens vs. Hawks game tonight.

Former crazy ex-Sens goalie vs. the current crazy Sens goalie, we may even see a goalie fight.

I'm expecting the same quality as the Leafs/Blackhawks game on Wednesday. Needless to say, I'm already drinking in preparation.

fallout

Jesus. How can anyone make an argument for keeping the team in Glendale?
"Lucrative" TV deals have always been one of the better arguments. As successful as most Canadian teams have been at the gate, none of that compares to what bigger sports can make through TV.

I'm expecting the same quality as the Leafs/Blackhawks game on Wednesday. Needless to say, I'm already drinking in preparation.

Hey you won and Crawford isn't starting this time :)

We're paying Emery to play against us tonight, so he'll be extra motivated I'm sure.

Marvie_3

Banned
"Lucrative" TV deals have always been one of the better arguments. As successful as most Canadian teams have been at the gate, none of that compares to what bigger sports can make through TV.
Most of the revenue in the NHL comes from tickets though. NBC didn't even give a shit about losing an American market when Atlanta moved and Phoenix is barely above what Atlanta used to draw in tv ratings. Neither of those two are/were as bad as Florida but with the exception of miniscule local tv deals, none of them play any factor into the major television deals.
Hey you won and Crawford isn't starting this time :)

We're paying Emery to play against us tonight, so he'll be extra motivated I'm sure.
Seems like Emery is being paid to play against the Blackhawks a lot of other nights too!

Everyone in this damn thread are literally being fucking dicks towards Phoenix. I think they have a great team there.

Did people forget why Quebec couldn't sustain an nhl teamin the first place? Nprdiques were a small market team that didn't produce enough revenue to keep the team alive.

They also needed a new arena and couldn't get enough funding to get the project going. The Government also refused to help the team financially.

Finally some also speculate that it was the greedyness of Marcel Aubut - team's owner that made the move to Denver happen so quickly.

There were some other reasons as well, I could be wrong but if you ask me, it's pretty much the same damn situation that Phoenix is having at the moment.

And the same logic (revenue --> tv ratings, attendance etc...) applies to Winnipedg jets as well.

Marvie_3

Banned
Everyone in this damn thread are literally being fucking dicks towards Phoenix. I think they have a great team there.
They do have a good team. Problem is, nobody gives a shit about them.

Did people forget why Quebec couldn't sustain an nhl teamin the first place? Nprdiques were a small market team that didn't produce enough revenue to keep the team alive.
This was also back before the NHL had a salary cap, revenue sharing, and the canadian dollar was worth dick.
They also needed a new arena and couldn't get enough funding to get the project going. The Government also refused to help the team financially.
New arena construction starts soon and they have a solid ownership plan ready to go.
Finally some also speculate that it was the greedyness of Marcel Aubut - team's owner that made the move to Denver happen so quickly.

There were some other reasons as well, I could be wrong but if you ask me, it's pretty much the same damn situation that Phoenix is having at the moment.
It's not though. Salary cap is in place. Coyotes receive revenue sharing. They still lose $30M+ each year. Phoenix has been trying to find an owner for 3 years. NOBODY wants to buy them and keep them in Arizona. The Nordiques were victims of the NHL climate at the time. Phoenix is a victim of their own market.
And the same logic (revenue --> tv ratings, attendance etc...) applies to Winnipeg jets as well.
And we see how well Winnipeg is doing with their new team, don't we?

Parch

Phoenix having problems selling bargain tickets is not good. They just couldn't get the locals excited about the game like a Nashville. I cant see the Coyotes working.

It's a completely different situation in Canada with a different economic situation now. The cap era changes everything. I have no problem believing that Winnipeg can now maintain a viable franchise. Quebec City too. Saskatoon? That might be pushing it, but if they can sell 13,000 overpriced season tickets for multi-years just like Winnipeg, then there's no reason why they couldn't maintain a franchise too.

Marvie_3

Banned
Phoenix having problems selling bargain tickets is not good. They just couldn't get the locals excited about the game like a Nashville. I cant see the Coyotes working.

It's a completely different situation in Canada with a different economic situation now. The cap era changes everything. I have no problem believing that Winnipeg can now maintain a viable franchise. Quebec City too. Saskatoon? That might be pushing it, but if they can sell 13,000 overpriced season tickets for multi-years just like Winnipeg, then there's no reason why they couldn't maintain a franchise too.
Saskatoon is waaay too small. It'd be like putting a team in Fargo, ND.

Winnipeg is considered a small market and it's 3-4 times the size of Saskatoon. AHL team would probably work there though.

Average Attendance Numbers:

2003-04

15,469 - Phoenix Coyotes
13,253 - Chicago Blackhawks

2004-05

(incomplete data, lockout)

2005-06

15,582 - Phoenix Coyotes
13,318 - Chicago Blackhawks

2006-07

14,988 - Phoenix Coyotes
12,727 - Chicago Blackhawks

Clearly, Chicago doesn't deserve a team.

/devil's advocate lol

Erdrick

I'd love more Canadian cities with teams, but baby steps first. Stick with an AHL team first to get a taste of how things could be. It doesn't seem feasible to me but I also don't know too much about anything in SK other than I have driven through it many times to other places.

Hockeywise... They have the Blades, which is in the WHL? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Saskatoon isn't getting a team. What you're seeing is little more than that province's recent economic growth getting into the heads of the local politicians and citizens of Saskatoon.

Quebec (city) has a population of over a million. Hamilton a little over half a million. Victoria - where I live - has a population of about 340,000. Saskatoon has a metropolitan population of 250,000. I'd give them a WHL franchise at most (edit, if they don't have one already).

Parch

Yeah, Saskatoon is probably not possible, but the guidelines are set. We know what it takes and if they can get it done, good on 'em. They deserve consideration.

Rink size, ticket prices, multi-year season tickets sold.

If a community can match the long term commitment like Winnipeg, then there's no reason to deny them consideration. I do think that it would be extremely difficult for Saskatoon to reach that minimum standard and there shouldn't be any room to lower it any further.

UberTag

Now that the trade deadline has come and gone I'm getting amped for hockey and the rush for the playoffs again.

Really looking forward to the Bruins / Rangers matchup on Sunday afternoon. New York has had Boston's number all season. The Bs need a meaningful win after coasting through a mediocre February.

Saskatoon isn't getting a team. What you're seeing is little more than that province's recent economic growth getting into the heads of the local politicians and citizens of Saskatoon.

Quebec (city) has a population of over a million. Hamilton a little over half a million. Victoria - where I live - has a population of about 340,000. Saskatoon has a metropolitan population of 250,000. I'd give them a WHL franchise at most (edit, if they don't have one already).

Quebec City's metro area's population is under 770,000. It would be the 70th largest metro in the US (just under Grand Rapids, MI). So, yeah, Quebec City and Winnipeg are the absolute minimum-sized metros for an NHL team in Canada. Hamilton is only considered because it could draw fans from the southern sections of the GTA.

Marvie_3

Banned
Average Attendance Numbers:

2003-04

15,469 - Phoenix Coyotes
13,253 - Chicago Blackhawks

2004-05

(incomplete data, lockout)

2005-06

15,582 - Phoenix Coyotes
13,318 - Chicago Blackhawks

2006-07

14,988 - Phoenix Coyotes
12,727 - Chicago Blackhawks

Clearly, Chicago doesn't deserve a team.

/devil's advocate lol
You can thank Bill Wirtz for those numbers.
Yeah, Saskatoon is probably not possible, but the guidelines are set. We know what it takes and if they can get it done, good on 'em. They deserve consideration.

Rink size, ticket prices, multi-year season tickets sold.

If a community can match the long term commitment like Winnipeg, then there's no reason to deny them consideration. I do think that it would be extremely difficult for Saskatoon to reach that minimum standard and there shouldn't be any room to lower it any further.
Saskatoon won't be able to sustain an NHL team for decades. There simply isn't the number of people/amount of corporate support there to survive long term.

Besides, there are far better markets then Saskatoon that don't have teams.

Quebec City's metro area's population is under 770,000. It would be the 70th largest metro in the US (just under Grand Rapids, MI). So, yeah, Quebec City and Winnipeg are the absolute minimum-sized metros for an NHL team in Canada. Hamilton is only considered because it could draw fans from the southern sections of the GTA.

Ah, under a million. Thanks

Marvie_3

Banned
Hamilton itself has a metro population in the 700k range(same as Winnipeg and QC) so the potential is definitely there. Not sure how far the metro "border" goes for Hamilton but it doesn't seem to account for cities to the west like Kitchner, London, etc so it seems like the metro is way over 700k.

fallout

Most of the revenue in the NHL comes from tickets though. NBC didn't even give a shit about losing an American market when Atlanta moved and Phoenix is barely above what Atlanta used to draw in tv ratings. Neither of those two are/were as bad as Florida but with the exception of miniscule local tv deals, none of them play any factor into the major television deals.
Oh, for sure. It's just that the room for growth is there with the TV deals, which is what is so "lucrative" about it. Of course, if it's not going to sell, then none of that potential really matters.

Speaking as a Canadian, I've always been for the expansion of hockey. I love seeing it succeed in "non-traditional" markets. I want to see it succeed. However, if it's not working out, then it's probably hurting the league overall and that's not good for anyone.

Parch

You cant just use city population. The regional population supports the team. Hamilton has a much larger source of fans than just city proper.

I think the most logical spot for relocation is somewhere in southern Ontario. There really is no economic reason for a team to not thrive there, but it's simply a case of the Leafs not willing to share the market. I really don't think it would have a major impact on MLSE so they're just being tools about it.

Marvie_3

Banned
Oh, for sure. It's just that the room for growth is there with the TV deals, which is what is so "lucrative" about it. Of course, if it's not going to sell, then none of that potential really matters.

Speaking as a Canadian, I've always been for the expansion of hockey. I love seeing it succeed in "non-traditional" markets. I want to see it succeed. However, if it's not working out, then it's probably hurting the league overall and that's not good for anyone.
Yeah, considering the size of the NBA deal alone, there is definitely room for growth. The NHL needs ESPN to start slobbering all over it's nuts to get that kind of deal though.

Agree with you about the 2nd part. Teams like San Jose, Nashville, etc have done great jobs succeeding in non-traditional markets while others like Atlanta, Phoenix, and Florida have failed/are failing. I'm really happy to see markets like Winnipeg get second chances as well though. If Phoenix was successful like Nashville, I'd have no problem with the Coyotes staying, but the situation is so toxic that it's obvious there's no future in Phoenix right now. It pisses me off that the NHL continues to defy all logic and keep that team there at the expense of the other teams.

Fei

but it's simply a case of the Leafs not willing to share the market. I really don't think it would have a major impact on MLSE so they're just being tools about it.

Sabres have quietly objected to a Southern Ontario team as well as the Leafs. There are a number of Canadian Sabres fans living near the border. Will be interesting if Hamilton makes a push again whether new ownership still has a problem with it.

Cake Boss

Banned
HEY FOLIGNO

YOU HAVE TEAMATES OUT THERE TO PASS TO YOU FUCKING DIPSHIT.

Stop thinking your fucking Gretsky trying to dangle everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom