• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I guess Burrows just didn't want an empty netter...

LUONGO SCHNEIDER BACK-TO-BACK 1-0 SHUTOUTS.

Socreges

Banned
That delay of game penalty against Hunwick was fucking terrible. We were sincerely angry on the Avs' behalf.

Goaltending saves us again. Reminds me of January.

You know what you have to post now!!!

9WKjc.gif

Heretic

Oh god no :[

new avatar for playoff push
So why was that last goal good? Refs didn't announce shot at the arena. My guess is they said he knocked the net off intentionally?

This really is a bitter sweet win. Sorry, Acid. I was hoping for a 3 point game to keep you guys in playoff spot.

Edit: THERE IT IS!!!

Yeah, that was like eating a delicious pizza only to find out that there is a cockroach baked into the crust at last minute.

Now to focus on who gets matched up with the Queens, first round exit is necessary for them. You can have a shit spot in the draft and have your postseason matter for naught and we'll all be happy.

Acid08

Banned
So why was that last goal good? Refs didn't announce shot at the arena. My guess is they said he knocked the net off intentionally?

This really is a bitter sweet win. Sorry, Acid. I was hoping for a 3 point game to keep you guys in playoff spot.

Yup.

Soooo dumb.

We're still in a playoff spot! That 8th place.

edit: 7th actually!

Heretic

Sharks are in 7th and queens in 8th! Avs still have a chance! Sharks seriously cannot lose anymore.

Acid, what's your schedule like for the remainder of the season?

Acid08

Banned
Sharks are in 7th and queens in 8th! Avs still have a chance! Sharks seriously cannot lose anymore.

Acid, what's your schedule like for the remainder of the season?

Phoenix tomorrow
Dallas x2
Queens x2

I have tickets to the last game against the Queens, should be a good one.

fallout

Just got back from the Ducks game (I'm in Anaheim on business). I was wearing a Jets shirt and ran into someone who used to live in Winnipeg. Good times.

Also, Teemu doesn't look anywhere near retirement. I wouldn't begrudge him for hanging up the skates at this point in his career, but he still looks like an elite player out there.

Marvie_3

Banned
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/HereticSoul/jersey_fouls_getting_to_bottom_of_penguins_foul_sabres_oilers_nickname_follies_ovechkin_army.jpg[img]
[img]http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/HereticSoul/jersey_fouls_getting_to_bottom_of_penguins_foul_sabres_oilers_nickname_follies_ovechkin_army.jpg[img]
[img]http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/HereticSoul/jersey_fouls_getting_to_bottom_of_penguins_foul_sabres_oilers_nickname_follies_ovechkin_army.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
:lol I was wondering when this would show up again.

Really don't want to see L.A. hang on to that 3rd seed. I'd rather play any of the other 3 potential playoff teams from that division.

CCF23

I don't think we've been so close to doubling the other team's shots and still getting shut out before. Schneider will net you fuckers quite a trade next year.

I'm as big a Luongo supporter as they come and even I don't know if I want the Canucks to trade Schneider instead of Luongo. He looks like the real fucking deal.

This playoffs will decide a lot. Luongo is going to need to be in a zone. A couple poor outings and the ball is Schneider's to run with.

I'm as big a Luongo supporter as they come and even I don't know if I want the Canucks to trade Schneider instead of Luongo. He looks like the real fucking deal.

This playoffs will decide a lot. Luongo is going to need to be in a zone. A couple poor outings and the ball is Schneider's to run with.

I'd hang onto Schneider if I were in that position, I just think you'll get a ton more for him because of the lack of a huge contract. Luongo has like 6 years on him too doesn't he?

CCF23

Looking over capgeek though seems like vancouver's hands may be tied if they try to move Schneider alone. Tough situation.

How so? Raymond isn't making 2.5 million again or will be moved. Other than that, there's no one to sign except Salo who would likely take the same deal.

Nobody wants that contract.

If Scott Gomez can get traded, Luongo can get traded...and it's not like Luongo's a shit goalie, either. This will likely be his 4th season (out of 6) with a .920 save% or better with the Canucks. Olympic gold medal. Cup finalist. Say what you will about his shortcomings, but I think there'd still be a market for him.

Tonight was the Canucks' 400th consecutive sellout. That puts them behind only the Mavericks (NBA) and the Red Sox (MLB) for consecutive sellouts in North American pro sports.

How so? Raymond isn't making 2.5 million again or will be moved. Other than that, there's no one to sign except Salo who would likely take the same deal.

If Scott Gomez can get traded, Luongo can get traded...and it's not like Luongo's a shit goalie, either. This will likely be his 4th season (out of 6) with a .920 save% or better with the Canucks. Olympic gold medal. Cup finalist. Say what you will about his shortcomings, but I think there'd still be a market for him.

Because the canucks have next to no cap space. They'd have to shed some contracts or bundle Schneider with some players if they wanted to trade for anything but picks. So maybe a Schneider/Raymond deal or something.

I'm not saying Luongo wouldn't get much interest or offers, just that Schneider would net even more. Especially if he does get playoff time and does well. It's a good situation to be in either way, even if it takes moving some other guys to make it happen.

Speaking of cap space I love how Stastny's bloated ass contract is the only thing that's kept the avs hitting the cap floor the past few seasons. Fucking Kroenke. Too busy with the Nuggets to give a shit about that hockey franchise that brought Denver it's first championship.

Acid08

Banned
Tonight was the Canucks' 400th consecutive sellout. That puts them behind only the Mavericks (NBA) and the Red Sox (MLB) for consecutive sellouts in North American pro sports.

That's nuts, pretty awesome that hockey is so huge there. I'm pretty jealous, must be absolutely nuts.

The fanbase we have is really intense but much smaller. Definitely the 4th team behind the Giants, 49ers, and Raiders(boo). More fans than the A's though but then again who the fuck cares about the A's.

edit: Hit 100 straight sellouts this year so things are definitely moving in the right direction.

CCF23

Because the canucks have next to no cap space. They'd have to shed some contracts or bundle Schneider with some players if they wanted to trade for anything but picks. So maybe a Schneider/Raymond deal or something.

I'm not saying Luongo wouldn't get much interest or offers, just that Schneider would net even more. Especially if he does get playoff time and does well. It's a good situation to be in either way, even if it takes moving some other guys to make it happen.

If Schneider is the one moved it will surely be for younger players probably still on entry level deal(s) or top, top draft pick(s).

Socreges

Banned
I'd hang onto Schneider if I were in that position, I just think you'll get a ton more for him because of the lack of a huge contract.
That's the problem. All else being equal, Canucks should hold onto Schneider. But that would come with consequences.

He'll be gone before the draft. It's going to suck seeing him on a different team.

That's nuts, pretty awesome that hockey is so huge there. I'm pretty jealous, must be absolutely nuts.

The fanbase we have is really intense but much smaller. Definitely the 4th team behind the Giants, 49ers, and Raiders(boo). More fans than the A's though but then again who the fuck cares about the A's.

edit: Hit 100 straight sellouts this year so things are definitely moving in the right direction.
As nice as the sellout streak is, our home crowd is pretty shitty compared to most of the big ones in the league. It's different come playoff time of course, but ticket prices have gotten so expensive that the building just gets filled with suits and people in a higher income tax bracket who may or may not be as vocal as the regular joe (that was some very creative phrasing on my part). We don't have the benefit of zombiedom like Leafs fans who will cheer loudly no matter what (double edged sword) either.

I went to Canucks games every year for over 10 years, and it was sad to see the diehard crowd regress as ticket prices went up and up. I had seats in the lower bowl for the last 5 or so years, and the only time a GO CANUCKS GO chant ever got started down there was during a playoff game.

CCF23

That's the problem. All else being equal, Canucks should hold onto Schneider. But that would come with consequences.

He'll be gone before the draft. It's going to suck seeing him on a different team.

No doubt it will. I'll cheer for whatever team he ends up on...

Socreges

Banned
If Schneider is the one moved it will surely be for younger players probably still on entry level deal(s) or top, top draft pick(s).
e.g., Brett Connolly.

Also,

- Pahlsson is either going to be replaced by someone cheaper or will take something closer to his worth ($1.5M?) to stay. (almost definite)
- Canucks could bundle in Ballard (unlikely)

I think we still retain the record for sell out streak at like 487 games. But I know there's a ton of debate about that record.

Edit: I have a really bad habit of using us, we and you when talking hockey.

I guess that's just a risk you take giving out huge contracts. But Luongo still has plenty left in the tank.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Any chance in hell Luongo gets traded over him?

Would the Canucks org ever pull some crazy shit?

I think if we could, we would trade Luongo over Schneider. Problem is, any team looking for a goaltender would most likely rather get Schneider than Luongo, because he's younger and cheaper. So trading Luongo seems like a no-go, ESPECIALLY since he'd also have to waive his no-movement clause.

Raymond & Ballard will be gone IF we find someone who wants them. Otherwise, I have no idea who to pack Schneider with for a trade for cap space :/ But I'm fairly sure Schneider will leave come draft. It's gonna suck.

Socreges

Banned
Remember we didn't sign Ballard. We traded Grabner for him. Grabner fell off big time this season, though. No idea why.

As nice as the sellout streak is, our home crowd is pretty shitty compared to most of the big ones in the league. It's different come playoff time of course, but ticket prices have gotten so expensive that the building just gets filled with suits and people in a higher income tax bracket who may or may not be as vocal as the regular joe (that was some very creative phrasing on my part). We don't have the benefit of zombiedom like Leafs fans who will cheer loudly no matter what (double edged sword) either.

I went to Canucks games every year for over 10 years, and it was sad to see the diehard crowd regress as ticket prices went up and up. I had seats in the lower bowl for the last 5 or so years, and the only time a GO CANUCKS GO chant ever got started down there was during a playoff game.
Whenever I get hooked up with tickets, it's through corporate ties. Often those seats are filled by "clients" who are going as a novelty and don't know the first thing about hockey. With the game against the Jets, 3 people went and the 4th seat was, I shit you not, a fucking purse seat. I nearly cried when I found out.

Acid08

Banned
I think if we could, we would trade Luongo over Schneider. Problem is, any team looking for a goaltender would most likely rather get Schneider than Luongo, because he's younger and cheaper. So trading Luongo seems like a no-go, ESPECIALLY since he'd also have to waive his no-movement clause.

Raymond & Ballard will be gone IF we find someone who wants them. Otherwise, I have no idea who to pack Schneider with for a trade for cap space :/ But I'm fairly sure Schneider will leave come draft. It's gonna suck.

Ah there it is. Dumb question in retrospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom