• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0mp

It was nice to see bryz being the baus we pay him to be. Gg

I'm more impressed with his off the ice attitude. He said the boys played amazing and wouldn't answer if he "found his game" and bullshit like that. About fucking time.

LGF!!! Good thing kubina came back!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
nyi won again! fuck yeah!

i wonder if habs players will target cammy when they play flames

According to a Boston police report, witnesses told police that they heard Lucic yelling at his girlfriend and heard “what sounded like a slap,” though no one saw it. One witness told police they saw Lucic throw his girlfriend’s purse and shoe at her while she was on the ground.

Officers later arrived by Lucic’s apartment on Fleet Street for questioning, and he was “highly intoxicated and volatile.”

http://sportsofboston.com/2011/09/0...r-argument-with-girlfriend-brittany-carnegie/

After slamming his cell phone down on the ground in rage, he then uttered the words any famous athlete should never, ever utter.

“Do you know who I am?”

:lol yep sounds like a Bruin to me.

Spl1nter

Toronto media planting a new seed with Carlyle vs. Kessel?
:lol

Media thinks Carlyle's going to change Kessel's playing style, Kessel basically says no. OMG CONFLICT'S GONNA HAPPEN.

There is a reason Kessel never speaks to the media, he cant. It just leads to what he means being put out of context.

yN3cd.gif

Gift for Bolts-age from a friend of mine on another forum

MacAttack

It's really sad to see a once great organization like the Canadiens and their fans in the position they are in now. No hopes for the playoffs, public demonstrations over coaches, fights between players/coaches, cheering for losses and little hope for a turnaround in the near future.

I guess when you look at it like that, you can understand why their fans would bring up an incident that happened six months ago out of the blue. There is nothing worthwhile to be said about the Habs anymore. They are becoming irrelevant.

Quick

Banned
Freaks me out how Burke's son Patrick sounds exactly like him.

They made a PSA for You Can Play, I'll let their mission statement explain it:

You Can Play is dedicated to ensuring equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation.

You Can Play works to guarantee that athletes are given a fair opportunity to compete, judged by other athletes and fans alike, only by what they contribute to the sport or their team’s success.

You Can Play seeks to challenge the culture of locker rooms and spectator areas by focusing only on an athlete’s skills, work ethic and competitive spirit.

I remember NHL on TSN having both Brendan and Brian Burke on the air and they were interviewed on Brendan coming out of the closet to his dad. Touching but fucking awkward because of the set-up. Good to see Burke continue this. Brofist.

Quick

Banned
It's really sad to see a once great organization like the Canadiens and their fans in the position they are in now. No hopes for the playoffs, public demonstrations over coaches, fights between players/coaches, cheering for losses and little hope for a turnaround in the near future.

I guess when you look at it like that, you can understand why their fans would bring up an incident that happened six months ago out of the blue. There is nothing worthwhile to be said about the Habs anymore. They are becoming irrelevant.

What happened now?

MacAttack

What happened now?

Im not dignifying their posts with quotes but posts #1849 and #1853 just kind of got me down about the Habs fans current state of mind.

Just kidding, I love this shit. Suck it Les Habitants. Enjoy the basement of the Eastern Conference!

tumblr_lzgzuhcSnR1qbgyrqo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_m0al08DLHP1qjjex1o1_500.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You would think fans of such a brutish, simple minded team wouldn't be so sensitive.

And whatever GM offered the sheet would've looked like a dick and his own RFAs would be exposed to future offer sheets in retaliation.

So?

Stamkos is that damn good, force the Bolts to pay him max money and have to make hard decisions on other contracts

If a GM is dumb enough to retaliate by offering more than market value to another RFA, then let them get stuck with that bad contract

So?

Stamkos is that damn good, force the Bolts to pay him max money and have to make hard decisions on other contracts

If a GM is dumb enough to retaliate by offering more than market value to another RFA, then let them get stuck with that bad contract

Yeah I was saying that during the offseason. Stamkos is such a great player I would have tried hard to come up with an offer the TB couldnt match. The current system totally fucks the players over. In other sports RFAs get offers from other teams and it drives their price up.

ZeroGravity

No player is worth $11-12 million a year, or whatever the maximum he could have been offered. Just having Stamkos on your roster doesn't guarantee you're a playoff team. See: 2011-12 Tampa Bay Lightning.

Solo

You're still talking about them though, aren't you?

No player is worth $11-12 million a year, or whatever the maximum he could have been offered. Just having Stamkos on your roster doesn't guarantee you're a playoff team. See: 2011-12 Tampa Bay Lightning.

He is the best player in the league, adding him makes everyone else better. I would have given him the max and not even batted an eye.

Curufinwe

After last night's game, I wonder if it's really Ovechkin and not Bryzgalov who has the worst long contract in the league. The Caps have to pay that guy 9.5 million a year until 2020-21.

My god Ovi was horrible last night. I dont get to see a lot of Caps games but he was so lazy. Kept hanging back trying to hit those homerun passes, and didnt want to get his nose dirty at all. I really feel bad for Dale Hunter. He is going to get blamed for not turning around this team, but I am not sure if anyone could have.

hubes

watching ovechkin nowadays is depressing. i haven't seen many caps games this year, but whenever i do it's the same thing. ovechkin coasting around for 90% of the game, but for 10% of the game he's awesome setting up teamates, skating past everybody, getting some nice shots on net. don't know what changed unless he just became lazy, but hopefully he starts putting in more effort.

I'm at work...

But RW is fired. Yes. I've never felt more happy before as a leaf fan in recent years. Honestly, it was about time and it's good to see that Randy Carlyle is the new coach for leafs.

And it was a good game Saturday too versus the habs and we won (3-1?) right? I was at a party, couldn't catch the game.

Fuck yeah, go leafs go! But we still have our same old issues. Our goalies, defence and we're still missing that number 1 centre for Kessel and Lupul.

Can't wait for future games regarless with Carlyle behind the bench. :)

Edit: By the way, Don Cherry went fucking nuts on Saturday night, holy grapes. He's really entertaining to watch. But I somewhat agree / disgree with him on certain points. If that makes any sense.

Edit 2: Bob McCowan is going to have a field day with the RW firing today.

Dammit Sens. Couldn't beat the Panthers, huh? At least Philly is still beating Washington as I type, but jeez, the East lower half is sure packed. It's basically anyone who can get a good win streak going who will get the last few playoff spots.

Well I had a feeling that Ottawa's streak against Florida would end at some point :)

The Sens are in a slump right now, almost half our roster are rookies who have yet to play one full NHL season, I think a lot of them have hit a wall some time ago. Hopefully they can snap out of it. It's been our "big 4" who have been carrying most of the load: Spezza, Karlsson, Michalek and Alfie and of course goaltending has been solid.

Wishing to win the NE division is stupid, we'll be lucky to make the playoffs. The good news is we've hit slumps before so we'll snap out of it, hopefully we won't lose 7 in a row again or something.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Wat fortunateson? The defense was a disaster because of Ron Wilson. Players like schenn, komisarek, gunnarsson and Phaneuf are likely to improve under Carlyle, and in effect make the goalies look better

Socreges

Banned

Daaamn you've got a dangerously high sodium content.

LevelNth

Banned
Wat fortunateson? The defense was a disaster because of Ron Wilson. Players like schenn, komisarek, gunnarsson and Phaneuf are likely to improve under Carlyle, and in effect make the goalies look better
Agreed, frankly I love our D. Phaneuf, Liles, Gardiner, Schenn, Franson and Gunnarsson are a great 6 going forward, and I as well believe the game plan will improve and play better to their styles under Carlyle. Reimer and Gusty have been taking too much flak from the idiotic Toronto media, though I wouldn't mind getting a vet for a season or two to help Reimer develop.

We need to replace Bozak.

rellix

Didn't realize Tampa and Buffalo were only 2 points out of 8th. Wasn't too concerned when the Caps' competition was only a floundering Toronto team and a Winnipeg team playing above their ability (and with more GP as well).

Throw that optimism out the door. No playoffs.. jesus I can't believe it. Not sure whether to laugh or .. nah... laughing.

watching ovechkin nowadays is depressing. i haven't seen many caps games this year, but whenever i do it's the same thing. ovechkin coasting around for 90% of the game, but for 10% of the game he's awesome setting up teamates, skating past everybody, getting some nice shots on net. don't know what changed unless he just became lazy, but hopefully he starts putting in more effort.

Money, and no consequences I would imagine.

Solo

I think Ovechkin's wreckless style of play has finally taken its toll on his body. That, combined with him likely being resigned to the fact he isn't going to win a Cup in Washington (and is stuck in Washington) and his ever increasing weight = current day AO, I think. He'll never be the same player he was 4 years ago. Sadly, the same can be said for his once-rival, Crosby.

rellix

There's a few things all contributing to his lackluster performance. Calling it 10% effort is a bit of an exaggeration though.

1. He's still not down to his ideal playing weight.
2. Since his season with two suspensions, he doesn't take nearly as many risks, both physically and offensively.
3. Boudreau, over these last two seasons made him change his play style, absolutely killing the 'holy shit' aspect of him.
4. Captaincy, pressure.

I think it's mostly mental.

Caps need to admit their mistake here and just let him be the sniper he was before all that. Encourage him to step down from Captain and give it to someone like Laich. Unleash Ovechkin. If giving him immunity to the system they play means he's back to scoring 100+ points, then I couldn't care less if he doesn't play defense.

But they won't. Unless GMGM is let go at the end of the season along with Hunter, Leonsis will keep copying the Penguins as much as possible. His infatuation with the team is disgusting. Ovechkin is only Captain because Crosby is, and it's time to stop. Caps were a better team beforehand.

rellix

I think Ovechkin's wreckless style of play has finally taken its toll on his body. That, combined with him likely being resigned to the fact he isn't going to win a Cup in Washington (and is stuck in Washington) and his ever increasing weight = current day AO, I think. He'll never be the same player he was 4 years ago. Sadly, the same can be said for his once-rival, Crosby.

He's had a wrist issue for a couple years now but that's from opponents slashing him endlessly. There's no sign of wear and tear anywhere else really. He's toned down the physicality a bit because he kept getting suspended. That's as much mental as anything.

His weight at one point (last season) was 240. His ideal playing weight is probably around 217-222 and he's sitting in the high 220's right now, from what I've read. That gap makes a huge difference.

Ovechkin hasn't been the same since the Olympics.

It seems the game is no longer 'fun', he was at his best when he was just having fun out there.

Now there's actual expectations, living up to his massive contract, captaincy, delivering the Cup to Washington, Olympics ....

Agreed, frankly I love our D. Phaneuf, Liles, Gardiner, Schenn, Franson and Gunnarsson are a great 6 going forward,

I've honestly never come across Schenn and 'great ... going forward' in the same sentence. Level, you realize that Schenn is often allowed to attempt to carry the puck forward by opposing teams? Because he's so awful at it?

I hate to say this, but I find myself reluctantly agreeing with Cherry about Burke's behind the scenes machinations. While I'm no fan of the Cherry, I like that he brings something a bit different to the NHL's otherwise bland broadcasting. And this dispute with Burke seems to be as much about Burke feeling embarrassed by his failure in Toronto than it does with anything one particularly loud-mouthed commentator said.

Regarding the CBC and future broadcast rights, am I the only one that hopes and prays Sportsnet/TSN doesn't win the bidding for Saturday night games? I'm no fan of the CBC's production, but I may become suicidal if subjected to 6 days a week of James Duthie/Jeff Marek.

Socreges

Banned
I wonder if the playoff disappointments might have gotten to him and taken away his motivation. Why try hard all season if we're just going to get bounced in the first or second round by the end of it? Why keep myself in top shape? Better to just enjoy my millions, fuck Russian whores and make embarrassing rap videos.

Solo

2005-2006 Capitals 81 GP 52 G 54 A 106 PTS 1.31 PPG
2006-2007 Capitals 82 GP 46 G 46 A 92 PTS 1.12 PPG
2007-2008 Capitals 82 GP 65 G 47 A 112 PTS 1.37 PPG
2008-2009 Capitals 79 GP 56 G 54 A 110 PTS 1.39 PPG
2009-2010 Capitals 72 GP 50 G 59 A 109 PTS 1.51 PPG
2010-2011 Capitals 79 GP 32 G 53 A 85 PTS 1.08 PPG
2011-2012 Capitals 77 GP 33 G 29 A 62 PTS 0.81 PPG (these are his on-pace-for numbers)

This is a career on the decline.

OnPoint

2011-2012 Capitals 77 GP 33 G 29 A 62 PTS 0.81 PPG (these are his on-pace-for numbers)

Man, that's depressing to see.

My take? Management either needs to get him into shape this summer or trade him away. There's definitely something wrong there, whether it's a motivation problem, playstyle issue or the fact that he just doesn't want to be there, but something needs to happen.

Solo

Yeah, I remember like 2007-2009 when he was best player in the world (yes, better than Crosby, Alu) and was just clowning the league, winning 2 straight Harts, etc. Now he is like an empty shell of his former self. I wouldn't call him one of the Top 10 players in the NHL anymore, let alone #1.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

I've been saying this since last year and people just laughed at me.

Ovechkin is washed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom