• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the CBC and future broadcast rights, am I the only one that hopes and prays Sportsnet/TSN doesn't win the bidding for Saturday night games? I'm no fan of the CBC's production, but I may become suicidal if subjected to 6 days a week of James Duthie/Jeff Marek.

I just hope that Sportsnet's share of the broadcasts doesn't grow much. Absolutely horrible to watch games on there, the amount of ads they squeeze in is ridiculous, and they compound it by insisting on showing their stupid stat screens afterward, resulting in a huge amount of faceoffs / play that is missed. And then there's the car ads that take up a quarter of the screen while the play's going on. . . For me, broadcasts from best to worst are CBC (without Healy), TSN, LeafsTV / CBC (with Healy), Sportsnet.

According to Swedish newspaper Expressen the Ducks are frontunners in the race for Viktor Fasth and are apperently offering him a oneway contract.

Stet

Banned
I just hope that Sportsnet's share of the broadcasts doesn't grow much. Absolutely horrible to watch games on there, the amount of ads they squeeze in is ridiculous, and they compound it by insisting on showing their stupid stat screens afterward, resulting in a huge amount of faceoffs / play that is missed. And then there's the car ads that take up a quarter of the screen while the play's going on. . . For me, broadcasts from best to worst are CBC (without Healy), TSN, LeafsTV / CBC (with Healy), Sportsnet.

The only thing good about SportsNet is Joe Bowen. Export Joe Bowen to CBC and long live the CBC.

Curufinwe

The Russian Rick Nash!

It's close, but at least Nash has a much more manageable contract. The next CBA really needs to set a maximum length for contracts to save these idiot GMs and owners from their own stupidity, and to stop them trying to get around the salary cap with contracts like Jeff Carter's.

Actually, Brad Richards is probably a better example.

It's close, but at least Nash has a much more manageable contract. The next CBA really needs to set a maximum length for contracts to save these idiot GMs and owners from their own stupidity, and to stop them trying to get around the salary cap with contracts like Jeff Carter's.

I see nothing wrong with what's going on now. If GMs wants to be stupid and sign players to such ridiculous contracts, let them. If things don't work out, they have only themselves to blame.

Nobody is forcing them to make such ridiculous offers.

Quick

Banned

I'd cap contract lengths to five years for players under 35, and cap it to 3 for 35+.

It's a GM's decision to be an idiot and sign players to massive contracts with a stupid amount of years, sure, but it's also in the players' best interest not to be tied down to a team for so long.

Curufinwe

I think seven years would be a good maximum.

I just don't think it's good for the league as a whole to have hundreds of millions of dollars tied up in players who in all likelihood won't come close to being worth it at the tail end of their contracts.

MacAttack

I see nothing wrong with what's going on now. If GMs wants to be stupid and sign players to such ridiculous contracts, let them. If things don't work out, they have only themselves to blame.

Nobody is forcing them to make such ridiculous offers.

If a GM lets a player like Ovechkin walk, who are the fans going to blame?

:lol @ McPhee (from an ESPN Radio interview 3/1/12)

“His commitment to the game, you have no questions about?” Czaban asked.

“Um, well, it’s a lot better than it was,” McPhee answered.

Parch

This should be a wake-up call that Ovechkin isn't the super elite player he was labelled as and Backstrom deserves some more respect.

Razorskin

----- ------

Yeah, I always thought they should set a 6 or 7 year max term for a contract.

Yeah, but those contracts let GMs build teams that can win. You need to have great players on manageable cap hits so you can have depth. I still don't have a problem with the Pronger contract really. The whole point was to create a two to three year window, which we got. Michael Leighton plays like an NHL caliber goaltender and we have a cup and Homer looks like a genius.

Socreges

Banned
Is NHL Network worth a damn? I'm getting a sports package that has it included.

How much is Gamecenter Live per month? I've heard some complaints in here about it, though.

Socreges

Banned
This should be a wake-up call that Ovechkin isn't the super elite player he was labelled as and Backstrom deserves some more respect.
...Swedish? SantaC?

Ovechkin may no longer be a "super elite" player anymore but he was the best in the entire league for a couple seasons. Since Ovechkin's stats have gone down, so have Backstrom's.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
How much is Gamecenter Live per month? I've heard some complaints in here about it, though.

It's $20 a month or something like that. Don't get it. You can't watch any game that is televised locally in your area or that is shown on any national channel (NHL Network, NBC, NBC Sports, etc.). It also won't cover the playoffs. There is no reason to get it this late in the season.

Zack Kassian has crazy "I'LL SHANK YOU MOTHERFUCKER" eyes.

kassian-o.gif

Stet

Banned
The big deal in Ontario right now is that the Liberal government is thinking of revoking the 50% tax rebate that corporations get when they purchase any ticket or VIP box for sports events. This would affect, amongst other teams, the Leafs and the Sens.

Leafs fans are cheering, because it means maybe fewer fucking businesses would own all the Plat seats and we'd see actual people sitting in the chairs right after an intermission instead of the empty gray wasteland we get now.

The Sens say they'll fold.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports...icket+writeoff+Leeder+says/6230463/story.html

Fei

Is NHL Network worth a damn? I'm getting a sports package that has it included.

Compared to Canadian stations, it's completely useless. Compared to American stations, it's about the only place you can find decent recaps of around the league. Also has a few random games on during the week, which is nice (but probably are all simulcasts of Canadian stations).

The big deal in Ontario right now is that the Liberal government is thinking of revoking the 50% tax rebate that corporations get when they purchase any ticket or VIP box for sports events. This would affect, amongst other teams, the Leafs and the Sens.

Leafs fans are cheering, because it means maybe fewer fucking businesses would own all the Plat seats and we'd see actual people sitting in the chairs right after an intermission instead of the empty gray wasteland we get now.

The Sens say they'll fold.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports...icket+writeoff+Leeder+says/6230463/story.html

The PCs are bitching about this already

Home

Surely it's just posturing by the Sens though? I'd be much more worried about teams like the Raptors or the Jays myself.

And even then, why should a fan pay full price when a business gets such a large tax break. dealwithit.gif

I posted this a while ago and got flamed for bringing politics into NHL-GAF, even so I am not sure if people understand this.

- Businesses and corporations still pay full price but can write off 50% off their taxes. Corporations are taxed much lower so they probably only save 10% or less in the end. Smaller business taxed at the non-corporation tax rate would save more (it's almost 50% I believe). Tax payers aren't subsidizing anything here, this is a pretty common tax break around the world and these tickets are arguably a business expense as they are frequently used to entertain clients etc.

- As for the impact to the NHL teams in Ontario it really depends on how many businesses and corporations would cancel their season tickets/suites if they can't write the purchase off. Obviously Toronto has a much bigger market but neither NHL team would agree to this if it impacts their corporate customers in any way. Only they know how many of their existing customers would cancel and how much money they would lose.

- It's supposed to give the province an estimated $15M/year in revenue, I am sure either NHL team generates much more money for the province than that so putting their health at risk would be a bad idea.

In any case, it seems the Feds aren't agreeing to it:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/03/05/no-tax-hit-to-senators-flaherty

Maybe if the Sens didn't build their arena in the middle of nowhere

Not like they had a choice or anything

Socreges

Banned
Compared to Canadian stations, it's completely useless. Compared to American stations, it's about the only place you can find decent recaps of around the league. Also has a few random games on during the week, which is nice (but probably are all simulcasts of Canadian stations).

That's too bad. Its more a bonus channel since I want the other ones that are included, but was hoping NHLN would have some unique content.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Markov took part in contact practice today and played with Emelin.
iVRjjS9I2tpu4.gif

This is great news, if we had him in the lineup this yea we would have been in the playoffs. I wonder if he gets in 10 games or so if he'll consider going to the world championships. Might be good for his rehab, but I don't know if that's too much at once for him, great news regardless.

Erdrick

I managed to get a pair of tickets to the Jets/Sabres game. Will be booing Miller in full effect tonight. How loud depends on how many beers I have before/during the game.

Bogosian is out still so maybe we will see our pickup from Columbus, Grant Clitsome (I'll never get over that name...) in action.

Pretty hyped for this game. Not seen the Sabres here since Brad May, Matthew Barnaby, Rob Ray, Dominik Hasek and Dale Hawerchuk among others were with the team still. Tickets were significantly less expensive too lol.

No excuses for the Jets tonight. They have had plenty of rest and know how important this game has become to their future this year. At least no more Johnny Oduya to give me heart attacks when he fumbles in our own zone with the puck.

Looking forward to at least an entertaining game, regardless who wins.

Cake Boss

Banned
But if the government shuts down the Sens where would the boring government employees go to sit down at a cold arena where they would tell the younger crowd to shut and sit down when the team scores.

But if the government shuts down the Sens where would the boring government employees go to sit down at a cold arena where they would tell the younger crowd to shut and sit down when the team scores.

They're not going to shut them down.

Cyril Leeder is just scaremongering to draw attention to the issue (and it worked). He's also pissed off that the government is considering this without consulting businesses (like the Sens) who would be impacted by the move (also true).

However only he knows how many existing businesses would cancel if they can't use 50% of the ticket cost to reduce their taxable income. I imagine it's a bigger deal for smaller businesses who aren't taxed at the corporate rate (10% ish).

Fill me with juicy details please. Who is this young stud?

Supposedly the best goalie not in the NHL (ie. this year's Jonas Gustavsson).

Dudes got some nice stats!

AIK Elitserien 45 2.04 .934 |
Sweden EHT EHT 4 1.25 .950

Well hello there.

Dan Ellis is probably gone by this stage. Hiller's been an unintentional workhorse covering for him. Deslauriers isn't NHL ready and hasn't been able to step in.

Like it matters, we're fucking toast according to FuckDaddy.

What a depressing article to wake up to, and something that will fuel my anger for the Queens even more.

Supposedly the best goalie not in the NHL (ie. this year's Jonas Gustavsson).

Cool. I'll be sure to burst out crying, Manics-style, when I see him make a sweeping leg pad save on 2 Red Wings prospects in the preseason next year.

Fill me with juicy details please. Who is this young stud?
He is not even young, but damn he has been solid during the last 2 years(and before that but i didn't see him in action as much then). He totally carried his team to the playoffs last year and while there his stats where amazing:

Playoffs 8 1.78 .945

But his most impressing stats has to be for team sweden. Last year:
Sweden (all) International 11 1.67 .945
And this includes the world championship where he was honored with the MVP of the whole tournament which puts him in a kind of exclusive company:
2010-2011 Viktor Fasth (G)
2009-2010 Dennis Endras (G) (fuck this guy, making him look worse)
2008-2009 Ilya Kovalchuk (LW)
2007-2008 Dany Heatley (RW/LW)
2006-2007 Rick Nash (LW/RW)
2005-2006 Niklas Kronwall (D)
2004-2005 Joe Thornton (C)
2003-2004 Dany Heatley (RW/LW)

Last year he basically demanded a oneway contract since he was kind of old and was going to become a father for the first time and wouldn't want a situation were he got moved on since he enjoyed his life in Sweden. But noone gave it to him, I guess that his numbers and MVP wasn't enough when it was still his first year in the league. This year I have read that he has kind of softened his demands, which makes sense since his kid is atleast a little bit older and if Im not completely mistaken Fasth have passed an age limit where he can still get more money even though he gets sent down. I'm not sure about the source(not the most trustworthy) but they seem to be sure. And his old team have been fairly open with the fact that he probably is leaving. So one way contract or no, Ducks or no, this guy will go to the states and he will be good. He is basically the definition of stud(which i guess Gustavsson also was, and we all know how that went).

I'm only sitting cross-legged so you guys can't see my raging boner.

Being in a market like Anaheim means he won't have as much media pressure as Gustofwind got. But a reliable backup with those numbers? Keep your Fleury/Johnson cause Hiller/Fasth will the best current tandem in the NHL.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Phoenix game should be good. Kinda nervous since Letang and Engelland are out (our bottom pair is going to be ugly) but oh well. Let's make it six in a row boys!

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
He missed 15 games in 2009/2010 and 46 games (including playoffs) last year due to injury. He's older and more injury prone than Stamkos

All the ones last year and from this year are due to one injury. The stuff from 09/10 was just minor things that popped up a couple times and happen to everyone. And he's three years older than Stamkos, that's not even really an issue. There is a difference between being injured and being injury-prone. Malkin is not injury-prone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom