• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Get ready for the Blue Jackets to air a special documentary chronicling their rebuild, titled Jacket Change: Getting rid of that Nashy Jacket.

Howson's probably gonna pick Yakupov, and this is him watching for formality's sake.
Yea I know the chances of them picking Grigorenko is 1% but I have a lot of time on my hands to think about the draft alright, lemme dream.

:lol

This state is full of nothing but fairweather jackasses.

I can attest to that at some level, he hates sports and he fucking went CRAZY over the Favre era of the Vikings. It was like night and day, suddenly football is the greatest thing ever. Haven't heard shit about football from him since Favre choked.

Solo

Leafs...............

11514%20-%20animated_gif%20charlton_heston%20laughing%20planet_of_the_apes%20reaction_image.gif

OnPoint

Ready for what it seems to be our bi-weekly matchup with Buffalo.

Is Marty ready to go?

It's looking like you guys might get Enroth. If so, congrats on your win. He's been putrid since his great start.

I really hope the game during PAX ends up being worthwhile... you know, since I'll be there and all. Tonight could point which direction that takes.

Sanjuro

It's looking like you guys might get Enroth. If so, congrats on your win. He's been putrid since his great start.

I really hope the game during PAX ends up being worthwhile... you know, since I'll be there and all. Tonight could point which direction that takes.

**prepares shiv for the glass bridge stealth kill**

OnPoint

**prepares shiv for the glass bridge stealth kill**

**Google searches for cheap Bruins memorabilia to blend into the crowd**

But really, f-that. Coming in Sabres jersey, ready to lose my voice screaming at girls about Berkley again.

Win or lose, I'll give you a hug Sanjuro. Put the shiv aside.

fallout

Yeah, I took a bit of a gamble loading up on late-season Jets games, hoping for a last minute push to the playoffs. It's tight, because it feels like every game they lose is absolutely catastrophic to their cause and simply winning games is just breathing room.

OnPoint

Yeah, I took a bit of a gamble loading up on late-season Jets games, hoping for a last minute push to the playoffs. It's tight, because it feels like every game they lose is absolutely catastrophic to their cause and simply winning games is just breathing room.

It's a hell of a way to reenter the league as a fanbase. Can't say it isn't exciting, eh?

Sanjuro

**Google searches for cheap Bruins memorabilia to blend into the crowd**

But really, f-that. Coming in Sabres jersey, ready to lose my voice screaming at girls about Berkley again.

Win or lose, I'll give you a hug Sanjuro. Put the shiv aside.

New Hitman is coming out. I will find you, kill you, and walk out with a new Bruins sweater!

Everyone will be in awe of our gritty promo and pre-order right away. I'd have to shave my head and beard though...

OnPoint

New Hitman is coming out. I will find you, kill you, and walk out with a new Bruins sweater!

Everyone will be in awe of our gritty promo and pre-order right away. I'd have to shave my head and beard though...

So... stay away from bald, clean-shaven people with shivs. Got it.

Marvie_3

Banned
I can attest to that at some level, he hates sports and he fucking went CRAZY over the Favre era of the Vikings. It was like night and day, suddenly football is the greatest thing ever. Haven't heard shit about football from him since Favre choked.
Yeah, I remember people that had talked shit about Favre for years suddenly being his biggest fan. It was pathetic. His last season where new and hilarious shit went wrong every week was a lot of fun though.

OnPoint

How many people are going to that game? Still need to look into tickets for that

There's going to be three or four of us going, not sure on the final number just yet. Stubhub currently has the tickets listed for a lot, but today's game is cheaper, so I think we're going to wait and buy closer to PAX.

Are you going?

There's going to be three or four of us going, not sure on the final number just yet. Stubhub currently has the tickets listed for a lot, but today's game is cheaper, so I think we're going to wait and buy closer to PAX.

Are you going?
If you guys can include me into that set that would be pretty cool.

I'll definitely be at PAX.

Sanjuro

Yeah, they normally get cheaper closer to the day of game. You also have many people in the area selling season tickets on craigslist.

fallout

It's a hell of a way to reenter the league as a fanbase. Can't say it isn't exciting, eh?
Yeah, it's been really exciting. Lots of fun coming to work and having everyone talk about the game from the night before. At this point, I'd say the team is exceeding people's expectations.

Revenant

so apparently one of the items up at the GM meetings coming up is bring back the two line pass...... :lol, fuck that noise.

OnPoint

so apparently one of the items up at the GM meetings coming up is bring back the two line pass...... :lol, fuck that noise.

It will hurt the game more than I think they believe it will. Trap style defenses will rise in power again. New Jersey will be a perennial cup contender. Brodeur will play for another 15 years.

Don't do it.

Revenant

aka "lets kill the game again guys!"

The NHL are their own best cock blockers..

This.

The product on the ice is better than it has been for years, the red line will just set it back.

agreed, no reason to slow the game down again, especially since you already revamped the league around the idea of "speed is good"

yes it invites a bit of cherry picking but hell it's an extremely exciting play to watch a d man thread the needle to a streaking player.

I don't get why the NHL feels they need to go and change things again in such a drastic fashion, the sport is having success and it seems to be drawing in and growing it's younger fan base. Now they want to bring back a rule that would set the game back.

as far as changing things I think the NHL could think of better things to talk about like the Trapezoid, Shootout/regular season OT, etc if they really feel the need to tinker.

This.

The product on the ice is better than it has been for years, the red line will just set it back.

I know numerous people who disagree. I personally think the game was better pre-lockout as well. It's not that I don't like the NHL now, or recognize that it appeals more to people who haven't played the game their entire lives, but I refuse to say the league was "bad" pre-lockout. Also, there's a VERY strong argument that slowing down the game again is one of the best ways to help prevent injuries. Everyone seems to ignore that argument in favor of MORE SUSPENSIONS!!!11!!!, but that clearly doesn't seem to be working either.

Revenant

I know none aside from presumably you.

I was just thinking the same thing, Old or young, I don't find many that miss it.

I know numerous people who disagree. I personally think the game was better pre-lockout as well. It's not that I don't like the NHL now, or recognize that it appeals more to people who haven't played the game their entire lives, but I refuse to say the league was "bad" pre-lockout. Also, there's a VERY strong argument that slowing down the game again is one of the best ways to help prevent injuries. Everyone seems to ignore that argument in favor of MORE SUSPENSIONS!!!11!!!, but that clearly doesn't seem to be working either.

I don't think that you're necessarily wrong to think pre-lockout hockey was good, though if the goal is to make your league a profitable league you need to capture as wide an audience as possible, including people who have/had no prior knowledge or interest in the sport. The NHL needed an overhaul at the time and it accomplished that and has grown from it, so why go back in time so to speak?

I know none aside from presumably you.

Different circles I guess.... I mean it might make sense considering the Habs have been considered an "undersized" team for years and the Flyers are culturally a much more physical team, but acting like the people I'm talking about don't exist is insane. They still come through the hockey shop I used to work in all the time and just complain. I understand how someone could prefer this style of game, but really it all is just a matter of preference than one being "better" than the other.

Socreges

Banned
We should sample NHL-GAF. I don't think there's anyone else that would agree with you.

Cake Boss

Banned
The face of the league is facing a concussion from a hit that was no where near the neutral zone. They need to look at their equipment where those shoulder pads are knocking people out.

The face of the league is facing a concussion from a hit that was no where near the neutral zone. They need to look at their equipment where those shoulder pads are knocking people out.

Lindros was the face of the league for a while.... Weird how these questions are so pressing NOW... I'm not even saying this as a "bitter" Flyers fan. At the time people just saw it as, "Damn, good player got injured. Unfortunate." Now it is some pressing matter of extreme importance that warrants rule changes. I don't think players getting injured signifies a problem with the game.

I don't think that you're necessarily wrong to think pre-lockout hockey was good, though if the goal is to make your league a profitable league you need to capture as wide an audience as possible, including people who have/had no prior knowledge or interest in the sport. The NHL needed an overhaul at the time and it accomplished that and has grown from it, so why go back in time so to speak?

This is why I'm not screaming for the game to go back to what it was. I get it appeals to a broader audience now. They're the people jacking up my ticket prices at the Verizon Center, but I do think consideration should be paid to people who have grown up with the game and have dedicated a ton of time to the sport and have certain preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom