• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revenant

My bad. Gary Bettman, totalitarian sympathizer?
438_rubbing_chin.gif

Wrong theatre of war, but close enough!

Socreges

Banned
Also, you Nucks fans don't give Kesler anywhere near enough credit. To me he's BY FAR your most valuable asset.
Huh? Did you miss those several months where a bunch of us had Kesler avatars? Or the months before that when we were insisting that he be named captain? He's been at God status for a while now.

Huh? Did you miss those several months where a bunch of us had Kesler avatars? Or the months before that when we were insisting that he be named captain? He's been at God status for a while now.

O I agree he gets a good amount of credit. But to me if I'm fantasy drafting an NHL team he's in probably my top 5 picks. I'd pick him before a lot of the statistical superstars like Malkin and Stamkos. He doesn't get that kind of recognition.

Revenant

O I agree he gets a good amount of credit. But to me if I'm fantasy drafting an NHL team he's in probably my top 5 picks. I'd pick him before a lot of the statistical superstars like Malkin and Stamkos. He doesn't get that kind of recognition.

I'd pick him over either of the Sedins frankly.

Socreges

Banned
I don't even know how to make sense of this post. You contest my point by suggesting that we don't.... draft him high enough in fantasy pools? *scratches head*

Anyway, he's also been #1 in jersey sales here for a while now. Despite the Sedins putting up back-to-back Art Ross seasons and Luongo being among the top goaltenders in the league. He certainly gets enough credit from Canucks fans. We know what we've got in Kesler.

I don't even know how to make sense of this post.

Anyway, he's also been #1 in jersey sales here for a while now. Despite the Sedins putting up back-to-back Art Ross seasons and Luongo being among the top goaltenders in the league. He certainly gets enough credit from Canucks fans. We know what we've got in Kesler.

Maybe I'm conflating Nucks fans with the general hockey population then. I can accept that. Bottom line is the guy doesn't get enough credit for what he does, but then again such is the life of the two way player. Most people will never really appreciate what you do. ::cough::MikeRichards::cough::yankeehater::cough::

Steven Stamoks has more goals than the King's entire top line.

Maybe I'm conflating Nucks fans with the general hockey population then. I can accept that. Bottom line is the guy doesn't get enough credit for what he does, but then again such is the life of the two way player. Most people will never really appreciate what you do. ::cough::MikeRichards::cough::yankeehater::cough::

I disagree, I think two ways centers are very much appreciated in this league. You can't tell me that guys like Datsyuk, Kesler, Toews don't get enough respect from hockey fans. In my mind, it's the shutdown center that gets the least amount of respect. They're the guys on the 3rd line, they often play against the toughest competition and when they're at the top of their game, you don't ever notice them, but you also never notice the players they play against either. From the Canucks, it's players like Pahlsson, Malhotra and Lapierre that deserve an inordinate amount of respect and appreciation for the roles they play.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, Selke candidates don't get near the same league-wide recognition as Art Ross candidates. But within their own fanbases guys like Kesler, Datsyuk and Toews are definitely well-loved.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

He had an endless line of fans willing to give him sloppy blowjobs last year. This year, he just hasn't been as good, and seems to still be recovering from his hip surgery.

Steven Stamoks has more goals than the King's entire top line.

The Kings might make the playoffs and are widely seen as a "sleeper" team due to their ability to hang in close games as is necessary in the playoffs.

The Lightning are still in Florida. Doing stuff. I'm sure someone is paying attention.

Acid08

Banned

Apparently you weren't here during the last playoffs. Not sure why you choose such a prolific player to make a point about not getting enough credit. He's one of the most noticed two way players in the league.

Couture is under appreciated in a league wide sense. Sharks fans all know how amazing of a two way player he is but he doesn't get near the attention Kesler has in the past. There are obvious reasons for that though.

Revenant

Apparently you weren't here during the last playoffs. Not sure why you choose such a prolific player to make a point about not getting enough credit. He's one of the most noticed two way players in the league.

Couture is under appreciated in a league wide sense. Sharks fans all know how amazing of a two way player he is but he doesn't get near the attention Kesler has in the past. There are obvious reasons for that though.

can't speak for anyone but all i see is this when he smiles in interviews, logan couture, the hockey player? no for me it's logan couture, that guy who looks like a xenomoprh and plays some hockey.

tumblr_l7x3jo1RPs1qa6ql2o1_400.gif

He had an endless line of fans willing to give him sloppy blowjobs last year. This year, he just hasn't been as good, and seems to still be recovering from his hip surgery.
CanucksArmy posted a piece about the possible reason why Kesler's production is down this season.

Essentially, it's because of Cody Hodgson. Last season, Malhotra was outstanding on the 3rd line and took much of Kesler's defensive workload and allowed him to open up offensively. With Cody Hodgson's 3rd line taking 13 sheltered minutes every game, Kesler was forced to take on the bulk of the defensive and shutdown workload, neutering his offensive game. Pahlsson was acquired in hopes of unshackling Kesler from his shutdown role and letting him run wild offensively again.

Solo

CanucksArmy posted a piece about the possible reason why Kesler's production is down this season.

Essentially, it's because of Cody Hodgson. Last season, Malhotra was outstanding on the 3rd line and took much of Kesler's defensive workload and allowed him to open up offensively. With Cody Hodgson's 3rd line taking 13 sheltered minutes every game, Kesler was forced to take on the bulk of the defensive and shutdown workload, neutering his offensive game. Pahlsson was acquired in hopes of unshackling Kesler from his shutdown role and letting him run wild offensively again.

Basically, the Tomas Plekanec disease.

Solo

Plekanec is *our* Kesler. Great two way player who's offense has been stiffled this season and last because we have shit centre depth, meaning Pleks is forced to always play the shutdown role versus other teams top lines, in addition to more PK minutes than anyone else. If we had someone else to take on that role, and get got to play a more offensive role (like he did in 07-08 and 09-10), Pleky could be a 70 point per season player consistently.

Plekanec is *our* Kesler. Great two way player who's offense has been stiffled this season and last because we have shit centre depth, meaning Pleks is forced to always play the shutdown role versus other teams top lines, in addition to more PK minutes than anyone else. If we had someone else to take on that role, and get got to play a more offensive role (like he did in 07-08 when he played with Kovalev and AK), Pleky could be a 70 point per season player consistently.
We'd give you Lapierre back, but we like him too much.

Still baffled why he doesn't get more PK time though. The guy was stellar on the kill last playoffs.

Socreges

Banned

His wrist shot has sucked ass this season.

Socreges

Banned
Got this PM:
3N16MA said:
Here is the avatar you can use for the next week:

http://i.imgur.com/yHwAs.png

You can put it up the next time you log on to GAF and keep it up for a full 7 days.
The douche is strong with this one.

I resisted at first since he never replied to my question if the other person would choose the avatar and I had already prepared my own, but decided it'd be in the best interest of avatar bets to just go with it.

Acid08

Banned
Got this PM:

I resisted at first since he never replied to my question if the other person would choose the avatar and I had already prepared my own, but decided it'd be in the best interest of avatar bets to just go with it.

LOL

It suits you.

Yikes, Duchene is out 3-4 weeks? Fuck.

Got this PM:

:lol So awesome.

Marvie_3

Banned
Plekanec is *our* Kesler. Great two way player who's offense has been stiffled this season and last because we have shit centre depth, meaning Pleks is forced to always play the shutdown role versus other teams top lines, in addition to more PK minutes than anyone else. If we had someone else to take on that role, and get got to play a more offensive role (like he did in 07-08 and 09-10), Pleky could be a 70 point per season player consistently.

Sounds a lot like Dave Bolland the last few years.

Hockey Analytics Panel

Found this on HFBoards. It's an interesting discussion of hockey stats. About an hour long. Listening now.

So I'm watching this, and the only thing I can keep thinking about is trying to imagine Holmgren on a panel like this. I just can't picture him giving any sort of useful insight like these guys are. Even when the guys are obviously holding some stuff back they are at least providing some concrete rational. All I can imagine Homer saying is "Obviously we look at statistics and we go with the guys whose statistics, we think, give us the best chance to win" or something along those lines.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Eller should be taking over Pleks defensive duties next year allowing him to be more offensive again, and he shouldn't spend half the season playing with players like fucking Darche and Moen.

Who would have thought out biggest game of the year would be against Edmonton? This is huge anyways, thankfully Budaj is in net.

t0mp

looks like Voracek is concussed. was "fine" yesterday, didn't practice today and won't play tonight.

so:
Pronger
Timonen
Mezsaros
JVR
Voracek
Jagr
all out...

is our team even an NHL team anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom