• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

t0mp

The Phantoms will make the NHL playoffs for the first time in franchise history this year.

haha, pretty much dude. I mean we called up "Brandon Manning" for either D-man depth or someone else is secretly injured. I know a good amount of phantoms but this guy didn't even make/do camp

Marvie_3

Banned
506sJ.jpg

So salty

Solo

Eller should be taking over Pleks defensive duties next year allowing him to be more offensive again, and he shouldn't spend half the season playing with players like fucking Darche and Moen.

Hopefully we see something like this:

Cole-Grigorenko-UFA
DD-Pleks-Patches
Moen-Eller-Leblanc
Gio-White-UFA

Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Markov
Diaz-UFA
Kaberle

Price
Budaj

The Phantoms will make the NHL playoffs for the first time in franchise history this year.

Last time we had this many Phantoms on the team Carter and Richards were just coming up and Coburn was the new guy. It certainly is an exciting time. I wish someone would kick Bryz to the curb though so we could plan for the future with the new CBA coming up. Even with his improved play lately I think the team needs to consider trying to get amnesty on that contract. He's not worth the most money paid to a goaltender. In the relative scheme of things I'd rather have "half" the talent Bryz gives for one fifth the money.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm still convinced that CBJ/EDM will take Yakupov/Grigorenko. Habs will be left to the scraps.
If Edmonton takes Grigs then Habs should / hopefully will get Galchenyuk, another center with star potential.

Hopefully we see something like this:

Cole-Grigorenko-UFA
DD-Pleks-Patches
Moen-Eller-Leblanc
Gio-White-UFA

Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Markov
Diaz-UFA
Kaberle

Price
Budaj

:lol you can't have Gio on the 4th line, he does score almost 30 goals a year you know. Also I would be tempted to pair Markov with Gorges and Subban with Emelin. Allows both pairings to have good puck movers, and good defensive d-men and makes Markov-Gorges a fantastic top 2 pairing, but Markov will probably be with Emelin to help his development which I'm ok with. you also forgot Bourque in your forward lineup. I'd put him with Eller and Leblanc.

Solo

I know, Gio is a tough one for me. He'll want top line minutes, but I honestly feel he's a bottom six player now for us. Move him up to the third line. Stick Bourque on the 4th instead of UFA.

Cole-Plekanec-UFA
DD-Grigorenko-Patches
Moen-Eller-Gio
LeBlanc-White-Bourque

Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Markov
Diaz-UFA
Kaberle

Price
Budaj

I like Markov-Emelin because a) the shared language for communication and more importantly, b) so that Emelin can protect and insulate him.

Razorskin

----- ------
I know, Gio is a tough one for me. He'll want top line minutes, but I honestly feel he's a bottom six player now for us. Move him up to the third line. Stick Bourque on the 4th instead of UFA.

Cole-Grigorenko-UFA
DD-Pleks-Patches
Moen-Eller-Gio
LeBlanc-White-Bourque

Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Markov
Diaz-UFA
Kaberle

Price
Budaj

I like Markov-Emelin because a) the shared language for communication and more importantly, b) so that Emelin can protect and insulate him.

Yeah I think Emelin would be perfect with Markov, you don't even need to be that good to be with him, look at Komisarek!

Red_Man

No way Gio goes below the 2nd line. He's the captain and one of our most clutch forwards even if he wasn't having the best year this year. Also I think Bourque will fit in better next year on the 3rd line. He's come into a clusterfuck of a situation and to expect him to play his best when the team isn't making the playoffs before he even gets here is asking a lot. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best from him next season.

Solo

Yeah I think Emelin would be perfect with Markov, you don't even need to be that good to be with him, look at Komisarek!

Indeed. Markie was good enough to cover up Komi. When he no longer had Markov making those great first passes for him, he got exposed.

Hoping desperately that Markov can regain that form.

Socreges

Banned
I know, Gio is a tough one for me. He'll want top line minutes, but I honestly feel he's a bottom six player now for us.
/depth?

And all this time I thought /depth was a good thing, but apparently it just spoke to how low a team can be in the standings.

Red_Man

/depth?

And all this time I thought /depth was a good thing, but apparently it just spoke to how low a team can be in the standings.
Should have been pretty obvious, all you need to do is look at where the leafs are.

I dunno, but without finding one and drafting a good player, Habs aren't going to be much better next season.

I was just checking the potential UFA pool on capgeek, and there are some guys who have the potential, but with so much risk attached. Semin? Penner? Yikes!

The way Pacioretty and Cole have worked out, I wonder if <insert GM name> will be tempted to sign another power forward. Smyth jumps out, however he's probably too old and expensive.

Solo

/depth?

Nope, certainly not a /depth issue. But an issue nonetheless. 2 of the Habs top 4 wingers are locked in: Cole and Pacioretty. That leaves 2 slots open for Gionta. But Im guessing they move Desharnais, who is basically turning into a much younger, cheaper Gionta, to the wing next season (as we're likely drafting a centre, and already have Plekanec, Eller and White). That leaves but one slot for Gionta. And if the Habs are serious about turning things around quickly, they need another top 6 forward to play with Plekanec (evidenced by the fact that we only have one good line this year), which leaves Gio shit out of luck and on the third, unless DD gets dropped down there.

Solo

I was just checking the potential UFA pool on capgeek, and there are some guys who have the potential, but with so much risk attached. Semin? Penner? Yikes!

The way Pacioretty and Cole have worked out, I wonder if <insert GM name> will be tempted to sign another power forward. Smyth jumps out, however he's probably too old and expensive.

If only Parise would give us the time of day.......if only.

Red_Man

Plekanec, Cole, Patcioretty, Gionta, Draft pick, and Desharnais / Bourque are a serviceable top 6 if we can't find anyone. It's a good mix of size, speed, and talent and will keep us afloat. Our biggest issue this season was D, which if Markov comes back and is healthy will change everything.

Socreges

Banned
Should have been pretty obvious, all you need to do is look at where the leafs are.
thatsthejoke.jpg ;)

Habs could certainly turn things around quickly next season with a bit of luck. Snagging Grigorenko and a top six UFA would be huge, but obviously isn't entirely within their control.

And what are the chances that Markov can return to form after playing just 7 games over the last two seasons?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Cole-Plekanec-UFA
DD-Grigorenko-Patches
Moen-Eller-Gio
LeBlanc-White-Bourque

Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Markov
Diaz-UFA
Kaberle

Price
Budaj

Where's Gomez bro? Where he at?

Solo

Hamilton, son!

Our biggest issue this season was D

I don't disagree, but not having any secondary scoring also hurt big time. I actually think it hurts more than the D, simply because with the D, we were breaking in two NHL defensemen in Emelin and Diaz and lacking Markov.

Solo

And what are the chances that Markov can return to form after playing just 7 games over the last two seasons?

Slim to none, but expect a sack lathering that would make Manics weep from me if such a thing does occur.

They REALLY need to try to get 10 games or so out of him this season.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Plekanec, Cole, Patcioretty, Gionta, Draft pick, and Desharnais / Bourque are a serviceable top 6 if we can't find anyone. It's a good mix of size, speed, and talent and will keep us afloat. Our biggest issue this season was D, which if Markov comes back and is healthy will change everything.

z27y9.jpg

Red_Man

He's suppose to come back soon. Play him 12-10 games and send him to the World Championship that way we know for sure. They need to figure it out before the season starts this time. I'm remaining optimistic as Wisnewski had the same surgery 2-3 times and is fine, and Markov is the definition of professional.

Solo

If I'm being realistic though, chances are the Habs can't land a top 6 winger. Not only is the talent pool rather shallow this UFA season, but we also need to resign Price (~$5.5M), Pacioretty (~$4.0M), Subban (~$3.5M) and Eller (~$2.0M).

Thankfully it IS realistic to think we can nab Grigorenko.

Red_Man

Habs are 0-9-0 in Alberta since the lockout :D

Getting rid of Gomez will clear a lot of salary, and we have the salary saved from Cammy. If the new GM can somehow trade / send down / kill Kaberle I will build a statue of him in my backyard.

t0mp

Didn't Kubina or Grossman get injured the other night? I seem to remember one leaving the game in DC.

Kubina got hit up high with a puck but he played in the previous game. I think a few stitches

"Manning will become the 12th Flyer rookie to play this season; the 6th rookie to make his debut..."

jeeeeeeeeeesus

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Did they ever actually hint about putting Gomez in the minors, because I don't see that happening. It should, but it won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom