• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2014 |OT| Cleary Must Be Always

Stet

Banned
It would all have been worth it if there was a Nashville soundbite with every player saying "WE'RE ON CLOUD NINE!"

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Some junior hockey team's new mascot

B20-FAkCQAA4yCW.jpg:large

I'd believe you if you told me that was from an Onion article.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Stars are having an awful season.

Sorry for the premature shit talking.

We officially suck.

Defense (or a lack thereof) has killed this team early on.

I'll admit, I was hoping the young core would improve somewhat in that aspect this year. Not only is it bad, it's fricken horrendous.

It's going a long and painful season for Stars fans, that's for sure.

Acid08

Banned
I was going to comment on the Sharks losing the Sabres again, or why the Stars are almost last in the conference, but then I saw the Leafs game, and uh, wow.

Firing Carlyle would be easy, but there are other issues at play, like the leadership on the team. Phaneuf, Lupul, and Robidas are the captain and assistants, right? Phaneuf isn't entirely untradeable (there's a market for a minute eater like him) but his cap hit won't help. Robidas is the new guy so you can't really single him out. I have no opinion on Lupul.

Otherwise, it's hard to fault the entire roster. They have an elite scorer in Kessel, some solid young players, decent depth, and good goaltending. Sure they lack a 1C and a Norris D, but lots of teams do.

At this point, their options are basically fire the coach, make a trade, or strip Phaneuf of the C Sharks-style.
Not much to say about losing to Buffalo. Last game of a seven game road trip, 16th road game in our first 21 games, a handful of practices in that entire time. Team has to be wiped out right now. Still was a particularly poor effort, especially from our third defense pairing. This team has a lot to figure out right now and I think the lineup decisions have been pretty poor too.

trifelife

For overtime, 3 on 3 might be OK after 4 on 4, but I'd be much happier if the NHL switched to one point for an OT win and eliminated loser points entirely.

zroid

Banned
Has the NHL ever taken an official stance on the 3-2-1-0 point system?

edit: I know some research has been done suggesting it wouldn't have a noticeable impact on standings, but then again I don't see how it would hurt, and the existing data doesn't account for the "added incentive" to finish games in regulation, just the way it would shake out if games played out as-is under the new system.

Foggy

So much pessimism and hand-wringing.

Jackets got a date with destiny in the first round of the playoffs against Penguins! They're not done yet! Not by a long shot!

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2014/11/2-1-or-2-9-1.html

--Foligno swallowed multiple teeth when he was high-sticked during a preseason game. He swallowed one of those replacements last night during a third-period fight with Brendan Smith, he said, and was spit at least one other tooth out of his mouth as he threw punches.

<3 Foligno <3

Awful. Out of nowhere.

Letang is back and doing well. Maatta had a speedy recovery. Pittsburgh is otherwise the healthiest team in the NHL with zero injuries besides Dupuis.

When they have had injuries, though, they've been unusually threatening. :/
Well this year so far... Last two years we've been at the top for man games lost. But I was referring to non-hockey illnesses. Vokoun was also out due to health issues off the ice last year. It's just scary due to the severity of these problems. I just hope none of these things are lasting or not if they're not 100% that they're smart enough not to force themselves to play.

I can't figure out why anyone would argue against a coaching change in Toronto.

Carlyle's had almost 3 years to implement his 'systems', identify leaders and learn what motivates his players. He's accomplished none of that, even though he's had the front office build the roster to suit his approach to the game.

zroid

Banned

Carlyle's had almost 3 years to implement his 'systems', identify leaders and learn what motivates his players. He's accomplished none of that, even though he's had the front office build the roster to suit his approach to the game.

The funny thing is people say nothing has changed from Wilson's to Carlyle's tenure, so you know the players are the problem. But there is plenty of data out there to suggest Carlyle is a worse coach than Wilson. Why would anything change?

They're in the playoff bubble, which is exactly where you would expect to see them based on who's on this roster. What do you think will actually change with a new coach?

I hoped to wake up to find that he'd been fired, but he's still there. I don't get it either.

Carlyle is an issue. He's not right for this team and they don't perform well regularly under him. He's been at the helm for two collapses, and this shaky start.

Of course, it's the players' faults too. The coach needs to be fired and changed, though, so that we can assess these guys under new systems.

Merguson

Banned
Carlyle is an issue. He's not right for this team and they don't perform well regularly under him. He's been at the helm for two collapses, and this shaky start.

Of course, it's the players' faults too. The coach needs to be fired and changed, though, so that we can assess these guys under new systems.

I think Bob McKenzie said it best.

The fact that Carlyle wasn't fired in the off-season shows that he won't be fired on a whim. Shanahan is evaluating him on the season.

The fact that Carlyle wasn't fired in the off-season shows that he won't be fired on a whim. Shanahan is evaluating him on the season.

Perhaps, but I feel there's no point to that. The Leafs need a better coach who can coach young players in order to improve. Not a stickler like Randy.

Why bother trying to teach an old dog new tricks and evaluate his mediocrity for the year when you can try to get Babcock?

Yawnier

Banned

Yeah I get the impression that CarlYOLO is staying here for the season, for better or worse.... Probably worse.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Pretty sure if you go back a page you'll see I already claimed him.

This thread, and the league, would be so much better if we had binding GM authority.

My GM Connected posts would be so much more common

Good thing that mode won't be back until like NHL 18

Smiley90

That's only because the menu will take 3 years to load it.

... Yes. That too.

So it looks like Vey will be scratched in favour of... Weber. Yes, Yannick Weber.

Why? Who knows. Vey has been great. He's our best Rookie with 9 points in 18 games but he doesn't deserve a roster spot. Uhhuh.

Desjardins whyyyyy. Why do we keep having coaches who don't give our young players any chance?! Detroit-GAF can probably relate. We're like the opposite of the Oilers.

Merguson

Banned
Perhaps, but I feel there's no point to that. The Leafs need a better coach who can coach young players in order to improve. Not a stickler like Randy.

Why bother trying to teach an old dog new tricks and evaluate his mediocrity for the year when you can try to get Babcock?

Meh.

As soon Burke put created his core, we've had different coaches and different depth players.

Same results.

Let them keep the coach. I don't care. A high pick is welcome.

ghost77

Banned
Leafs situation is Knicks level beyond saving. It can, in time be saved. One move will not change everything tho. I would say fire randy, bring in Babcock or someone that will develop the players better. At this point though you have two nasty contracts (phaneuf, clarkson) that are on your books. I would try to trade dion or buy him out. Clarkson won't be traded and I believe his contract is super hard to buy him out.

Still theirs good assets, Reilly, nylander, jvr, bernier. Maybe trade Reiner for picks. See what you have with kadri. Theirs hope but it takes time. Much like the Knicks, who have made good moves but still have to wait to get rid of amare.

They can't act like their the frigging panthers in free agency. You don't go after David Clarkson and spend that money like he's a hot Indian chick. Spend that money on the big dogs, the Perry's the staals. Good players. They're a legendary franchise they need to act like it.

Quick

Banned
They can't act like their the frigging panthers in free agency. You don't go after David Clarkson and spend that money like he's a hot Indian chick. Spend that money on the big dogs, the Perry's the staals. Good players. They're a legendary franchise they need to act like it.

Around these parts, we call them GOOD ONTARIO KIDS.

DonCherry.620.jpg

Smiley90

Hey Sammy/anyone who likes advanced stats,
here's something for ya:

Delta Corsi. Basically Corsi (so, shot attempts for vs shot attempts against) accounting for zone starts and quality of competition. It's a thing trying to... uh... well... basically show how well you're doing in terms of getting shots/preventing shots while accounting for who you're matched up against

Delta Corsi impact is your impact on the corsi of your team. Only players with 200+ minutes played are on it. Some personal highlights:

Stephen Weiss is in the "worst top10 of all time this data was taken" TWICE, playing for Detroit AND Florida :lol

EDIT: If you want a text-based explanation: dCorsi = Over 60 minutes of 5on5 play, this is how many more (or less) shot attempts than the opposition your team has when this player is on the ice vs how many more (or less) shot attempts than the opposition your team has if there was the "average" player playing against the same opposition.

Top 10 for 2014-15:

771 Nikita.Kucherov R T.B 5.87 59.63
685 Matt.Nieto L S.J 5.28 65.83
651 Ryan.Ellis D NSH 5.12 68.73
618 Zbynek.Michalek D ARI 4.89 71.39
726 Nick.Leddy D NYI 4.72 62.72
805 Paul.Postma D WPG 4.72 57.83
815 Matt.Beleskey L ANA 4.58 57.49
791 Mattias.Ekholm D NSH 4.36 58.4
975 Jake.Muzzin D L.A 4.34 47.52
1084 Dominic.Moore C NYR 4.2 42.62

(the 4-5 value is the dCorsi, the last value is the impact on the team. the higher, the bigger the part is they contribute to their team's total corsi)

for comparison here are the top 10 in terms of impact on the team's corsi:

618 Zbynek.Michalek D ARI 4.89 71.39
651 Ryan.Ellis D NSH 5.12 68.73
685 Matt.Nieto L S.J 5.28 65.83
726 Nick.Leddy D NYI 4.72 62.72
771 Nikita.Kucherov R T.B 5.87 59.63
791 Mattias.Ekholm D NSH 4.36 58.4
805 Paul.Postma D WPG 4.72 57.83
815 Matt.Beleskey L ANA 4.58 57.49
942 Mike.Green D WSH 4 49.38
970 Duncan.Keith D CHI 3.08 47.86

For the laughs, here are the worst 10 for 2014/15

3770 Thomas.Vanek L MIN -5.82 -60.39
4145 Trevor.Daley D DAL -5.61 -89.23
3731 Andrew.Shaw C CHI -5.3 -57.86
3698 Nail.Yakupov R EDM -5.2 -56
3842 Valtteri.Filppula C T.B -5.09 -65.28
3605 Brad.Stuart D COL -4.7 -49.65
3668 Jack.Johnson D CBJ -4.59 -53.91
3920 Roman.Josi D NSH -4.05 -69.93
3694 Nick.Holden D COL -4 -55.79
3712 Brooks.Orpik D WSH -3.81 -56.75

I even took the time to filter teams

Anaheim's Best: Matt Beleskey
Worst: Clayton Stoner

Arizona: Who cares

Boston Best: Patrice Bergeron (shocker)
Worst: Adam McQuaid

Chicago Best: Hossa
Worst: Shaw

Colorado Best: Landeskog
Worst: Stuart

Dallas Best: Shithead (Roussel)
Worst: Daley

Detroit Best: Kindl
Worst: Kronwall

LA Best: Muzzin
Worst: Stool

Montreal Best: Eller (then PAP, BGally, AGally)
Worst: Emelin (then Gilbert, DD and Subban)

Isles Best: Nick Leddy
Worst: Hamonic

Sens Best: Gryballs
Worst: Babby

Philly Best: Giroux
Worst: Grossmann

Pens Best: Kunitz (then Crosby)
Worst: Sutter

SJ Best: Nieto (then Vlasic and the Joes)
Worst: Hannan

Toronto Best: Kadri (then Reilly and Santorelli)
Worst: JVR (then Bozak&Kessel)

Vancouver Best: Edler (then the Sedins & Tanev)
Worst: Bieksa & Hamhuis

ADVANCED STATS POST OUT

Acid08

Banned
Yeah Nieto has been driving play so well this season. Kid has had awful luck getting points, it'll turn around eventually for him though.

And lol Brad Stuart

Not much to say about losing to Buffalo. Last game of a seven game road trip, 16th road game in our first 21 games, a handful of practices in that entire time. Team has to be wiped out right now. Still was a particularly poor effort, especially from our third defense pairing. This team has a lot to figure out right now and I think the lineup decisions have been pretty poor too.

Rookie goalie also wasn't able to match his amazing debut. Troy Grosenick went from an amazing 45 shot on goal shut-out against Carolina to a game where he only took 14 shots from Buffalo and let 3 of them through.

calder

Not sure if it was already posted, but Ron Wilson just popped up out of nowhere with enough ether for the whole city of Toronto.

"And now with the throwing of the jerseys on the ice, does it get any worse than that? That's despicable,'' said Wilson. "I know a lot of people say Toronto is the best place to play, but that's only if it's going miraculously well.

"And the only way you're going to be cheered in Toronto is if you happen to be leading with five minutes to go. And you've got a significant lead, then they might happen to get off their hands and give you a cheer.''

Damn Ron, I think they're down! Ease up maybe.

"I was watching last night and at the start of the second period, all the platinums [seats] are totally empty," said Wilson. "It looked on TV like nobody was in the building. Everybody in Toronto talks about how bad it is in Florida, but in Toronto everyone sitting in the platinums are down in the suite drinking and they're not even paying attention to the team. Hockey seems to be secondary, which is a shame."

Enough Ronnie, enough!

Smiley90

Sounds like Saad so far this season.

The difference being that Nieto is actually a positive posession player and Saad isn't. So... really nothing like it...

For reference here's the entire 2014/15 Hawks team of those with 200+ 5on5 minutes

Marian.Hossa R CHI 4.03 47.07
Trevor.van.riemsdyk D CHI 3.19 36.74
Duncan.Keith D CHI 3.08 47.86
Niklas.Hjalmarsson D CHI 2.22 35.39
Jonathan.Toews C CHI 1.58 19.46
Brent.Seabrook D CHI 2 -0.06 -0.81
Brandon.Saad L CHI -2.49 -27.22
Patrick.Kane R CHI -2.59 -34.44
Johnny.Oduya D CHI -3.66 -56.52
Andrew.Shaw C CHI -5.3 -57.86

TLDR: Hossa, TVR, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Toews: Good.
Seabrook: Average
Saad, Kane, Oduya: Bad
Shaw: Abysmal

Top Bottom