• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2014 |OT| Cleary Must Be Always

Reminiscent

Update:

-The NHL has scrapped the dry scrape.

-The GMs decided to make another immediate change: Say the puck appears to go in the net but play continues. If NHL officials in the video room in Toronto clearly see the puck crossed the goal line, they will buzz the arena and have play stopped. They will not wait for a whistle.

-The GMs looked at the results of the new overtime format in the American Hockey League, but they didn’t debate the issue. The AHL now has seven minutes of OT – 4-on-4 until the first whistle after the three-minute mark, then 3-on-3.

Cake Boss

Banned
That guy is a bandwagon Penguins fan that has no idea how this game is played, right now he's still in research phase.

He just found out the cup is called Stanley the other day.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
3 on 3 is inevitable. The amount of games going to a shootout is down severely in the AHL. It's as close as we'll ever get to them eliminating it.

A couple of things that piss me off about the Leafs situation.

First off, Bob Bob McKenzie was completely right last night when he said the Leafs are too inconsistent for their own good. They tank now but could just as easily start December with a five-game winning streak. Nothing's going to change this way.

Secondly, Dreger saying that upper management is putting the blame on the players - and those potential trade-bait players are fucking Kadri and Gardiner - is beyond idiotic. Yeah, they have their issues, but they're young. They can learn and improve under better guidance and leadership. Pheneuf and Clarkson on the other hand? Those are the massive, under-performing anchors they need to get rid of, not their young talent.

They need to start with a new coach. If the new coach gets the same results, then start looking at the players, and when they do start looking at the players they need to look at those players who aren't getting the job done and can't get any better at it.

Fuck this team.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I feel for Leafs-Gaf because you're good people, but on the other hand it's the Leafs. I'm so conflicted.

Cactus

Banned
A couple of things that piss me off about the Leafs situation.

First off, Bob Bob McKenzie was completely right last night when he said the Leafs are too inconsistent for their own good. They tank now but could just as easily start December with a five-game winning streak. Nothing's going to change this way.

Secondly, Dreger saying that upper management is putting the blame on the players - and those potential trade-bait players are fucking Kadri and Gardiner - is beyond idiotic. Yeah, they have their issues, but they're young. They can learn and improve under better guidance and leadership. Pheneuf and Clarkson on the other hand? Those are the massive, under-performing anchors they need to get rid of, not their young talent.

They need to start with a new coach. If the new coach gets the same results, then start looking at the players, and when they do start looking at the players they need to look at those players who aren't getting the job done and can't get any better at it.

Fuck this team.

There's no way this is true. I wouldn't be surprised if Carlyle and potato hate these guys, but I'm going to stay somewhat idealistic and say that Shanahan has contrary opinions concerning what has to be done to get this team out of the gutter.

Also, Simon, I really disagree with you about Carlyle. Sure, we probably won't see much change in the short term (this season) if Carlyle is fired and Horacheck takes over as interim coach, but it's pretty clear to me that Randy's coaching style does not have a place in today's NHL. He's being outcoached every single fucking game. Benching Kadri last night is vintage Randy. He's got his favourites playing like pure shit out there while the scapegoats (Kadri/Gardiner) aren't allowed to see the ice after one or two poor shifts.

There are a bunch of under-performing Leafs players right now--hopefully Shanahan is evaluating every single one of them--but an easy fix is to get Carlyle the fuck out asap, especially before the team's better prospects like Nylander and Johnson (hopefully) make the team next season.

Socreges

Banned
They're not going to show up any more often for a new coach. You're fooling yourself if you think replacing the coach is going to have any effect.
I'm no apologist for the Leafs roster, but you can't speak in such absolute terms either. You don't know what effect it would have.

Samyy

I just want a new coach to better guide and teach our young players.

I don't care if the new coach helps them win or whatever, just need a steady hand that can help our younger guys grow.

We're stuck for 5-6 years due to the cap anyway.

Fei

Pheneuf and Clarkson on the other hand? Those are the massive, under-performing anchors they need to get rid of, not their young talent.

How do you get rid of those guys now? Phaneuf is an average defenseman in year 1 of a 7 year $49M contract, and Clarkson is lol. No team will touch them. They're not going anywhere unless you just want to pay them in the AHL.

Oh yeah, and WTF Sharks.

ShaneB

I feel for Leafs-Gaf because you're good people, but on the other hand it's the Leafs. I'm so conflicted.

Agreed. Have said before my schadenfreude type of feeling towards the Leafs, but long suffering fan bases deserve some sense of winning!

I'm no apologist for the Leafs roster, but you can't speak in such absolute terms either. You don't know what effect it would have.

Sure, nobody can know the future, but the track record of new coaches on bad teams is pretty consistent. Ask Ted Nolan or Paul Maurice.

If they were playing the system every night and getting smoked that would be one thing, but they only play the system 30% of the time and they tend to win when they do.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I missed quite a bit of entertainment last night. Yikes.

Stempniak is day to day with tightness in his lower back and not expected to play tonight vs. the Flyers. On the other side, Giroux is not expected to play for the Flyers.

Rangers lines should be:

Nash-Brassard-St.Louis
Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Hayes-Duclair
Glass-D.Moore-Fast

Talbot vs. Mason in net.

I was going to comment on the Sharks losing the Sabres again, or why the Stars are almost last in the conference, but then I saw the Leafs game, and uh, wow.

Firing Carlyle would be easy, but there are other issues at play, like the leadership on the team. Phaneuf, Lupul, and Robidas are the captain and assistants, right? Phaneuf isn't entirely untradeable (there's a market for a minute eater like him) but his cap hit won't help. Robidas is the new guy so you can't really single him out. I have no opinion on Lupul.

Otherwise, it's hard to fault the entire roster. They have an elite scorer in Kessel, some solid young players, decent depth, and good goaltending. Sure they lack a 1C and a Norris D, but lots of teams do.

At this point, their options are basically fire the coach, make a trade, or strip Phaneuf of the C Sharks-style.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What in the world is going on in Pittsburgh with all these serious medical issues? Really sucks for Dupuis. Hope his treatment goes well.

In other news, the Rangers will be wearing their good ol' home whites tonight. Wait, what?

b20w1gwceaenm7whxa5g.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Awful. Out of nowhere.

Dupuis :( I hope he doesn't have any lasting problems from it. Penguins just not staying healthy.
Letang is back and doing well. Maatta had a speedy recovery. Pittsburgh is otherwise the healthiest team in the NHL with zero injuries besides Dupuis.

When they have had injuries, though, they've been unusually threatening. :/

Top Bottom