• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2014 |OT| Cleary Must Be Always

Quick

Banned
Not sure if it was already posted, but Ron Wilson just popped up out of nowhere with enough ether for the whole city of Toronto.

Damn Ron, I think they're down! Ease up maybe.

Enough Ronnie, enough!

giphy.gif

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Because I'm bored here's Montreal

Lars.Eller C MTL 2.6 29.59
Pierre-Alexandre.Parenteau R MTL 0.95 11.37
Brendan.Gallagher R MTL 0.83 10.64
Alex.Galchenyuk C MTL 0.56 7.03
Mike.Weaver D MTL 0.41 4.24
Tomas.Plekanec C MTL 0.08 1.03
Andrei.Markov D MTL -0.2 -3.14
Max.Pacioretty L MTL -0.43 -5.8
P.k..Subban D MTL -0.47 -7.99
David.Desharnais C MTL -0.8 -10.32
Tom.Gilbert D MTL -1.1 -16.89
Alexei.Emelin D MTL -2.42 -36.12

not super exciting because really only Eller is very positive and Emelin is very negative

and the Laffs:

1064 Nazem.Kadri C TOR 3.75 43.89
1448 Cody.Franson D TOR 2.3 26.45
1531 Morgan.Rielly D TOR 1.89 23.11
1759 Mike.Santorelli C TOR 1.37 14.82
1924 Dion.Phaneuf D TOR 0.69 10.11
2098 Leo.Komarov C TOR 0.43 4.74
2130 David.Clarkson R TOR 0.33 3.94
2247 Stephane.Robidas D TOR 0.02 0.25
2745 Jake.Gardiner D TOR -1.2 -14.66
2968 Roman.Polak D TOR -1.44 -23
2898 Phil.Kessel C TOR -1.55 -20
3296 Tyler.Bozak C TOR -2.8 -35.62
3593 James.van.riemsdyk L TOR -3.79 -49.19

Kadri, Franson, Really and Santorelli are good. Gardiner, Polak and Kessel are bad. Bozak is really bad and JVR is really REALLY bad.

Reminiscent

Because I'm bored here's Montreal

Lars.Eller C MTL 2.6 29.59
Pierre-Alexandre.Parenteau R MTL 0.95 11.37
Brendan.Gallagher R MTL 0.83 10.64
Alex.Galchenyuk C MTL 0.56 7.03
Mike.Weaver D MTL 0.41 4.24
Tomas.Plekanec C MTL 0.08 1.03
Andrei.Markov D MTL -0.2 -3.14
Max.Pacioretty L MTL -0.43 -5.8
P.k..Subban D MTL -0.47 -7.99
David.Desharnais C MTL -0.8 -10.32
Tom.Gilbert D MTL -1.1 -16.89
Alexei.Emelin D MTL -2.42 -36.12

not super exciting because really only Eller is very positive and Emelin is very negative

and the Laffs:

1924 Dion.Phaneuf D TOR 0.69 10.11

Kadri, Franson, Really and Santorelli are good. Gardiner, Polak and Kessel are bad. Bozak is really bad and JVR is really REALLY bad.

x9t6.gif

Smiley90

second number from the right = how many more shot attempts the team gets when he's on the ice compared to the "average" player facing the same competition.

Marvie_3

Banned
And here's why you actually need to watch the fucking games. Saad is far better than your "advanced" stats give him credit for. He's been snakebitten all year, has had a ton of great chances, but because he doesn't take a bunch of weak shots, he's a "bad" possession player, which brings me to Keith. Keith is only in the "good" category because he takes a thousand shots a game that end up in the shinpads of defensemen.

Smiley90

And here's why you actually need to watch the fucking games. Saad is far better than your "advanced" stats give him credit for. He's been snakebitten all year, has had a ton of great chances, but because he doesn't take a bunch of weak shots, he's a "bad" possession player, which brings me to Keith. Keith is only in the "good" category because he takes a thousand shots a game that end up in the shinpads of defensemen.

Clearly he has great Dopeystats which these numbers can't account for, sorry

(it does account for not allowing shots, though. Saad allows more shots when he's on the ice then the team takes, or than the team would take if he was replaced with the average player in his situation would take. that's what the stats say.)

gaming_noob

1924 Dion.PhaneufD TOR 0.69 10.11

Bolded are the players Leafs fans want out of this team.... lol

Smiley90

If it helps, Brad Stuart is bad. Like... bad bad. Landeskog, Hejda, Barrie, ROR, Mack and Johnson actually all have really good posession numbers. McGinn, Holden and Stuart on the other hand.... errr.....

Gabriel.Landeskog L COL 3.37
Jan.Hejda D COL 2.33
Tyson.Barrie D COL 2.07
Ryan.O'reilly C COL 1.86
Nathan.MacKinnon C 1.8
Erik.Johnson D COL 1.79
Jarome.Iginla R COL -0.53
Matt.Duchene C COL -0.82
Alex.Tanguay L COL -0.83
Jamie.McGinn L COL -2.35
Nick.Holden D COL -4
Brad.Stuart D COL -4.7

Reminiscent

15 of 18 Nashville skaters got a point last night against Toronto.

Wow

Trevor van Riemsdyk is out three to four months with a left patella fracture. Surgery tomorrow.

Maybe I missed this earlier.

Stuart has not even been close to our worst player so far. Holden has been REAL bad though. Between Holden and Guenin we may as well just not put any defensemen out on the ice during their shift.

Smiley90

So uh

"Chris Johnston of Sportsnet reports that the NHL took a look at the 93 playoff games played in 2014, and after reviewing decided that a couple of goals should have not been allowed to stand.

Chris Johnston ✔ @reporterchris
Follow

Two goals that NHL video would have disallowed were huge ones: Justin Williams vs SJ in Game 6 and Dwight King in Game 2 of Cup final."

Sorry Acid/RagsGAF

zroid

Banned
So uh

"Chris Johnston of Sportsnet reports that the NHL took a look at the 93 playoff games played in 2014, and after reviewing decided that a couple of goals should have not been allowed to stand.

Follow

Two goals that NHL video would have disallowed were huge ones: Justin Williams vs SJ in Game 6 and Dwight King in Game 2 of Cup final."

Sorry Acid/RagsGAF

Is that because of goalie interference?

Smiley90

Is that because of goalie interference?

Yes, they looked at all the goals to see which one would NOT have been allowed to stand if they got the chance to video-review goaltender interference calls.

Marvie_3

Banned
Clearly he has great Dopeystats which these numbers can't account for, sorry

(it does account for not allowing shots, though. Saad allows more shots when he's on the ice then the team takes, or than the team would take if he was replaced with the average player in his situation would take. that's what the stats say.)

The only one posting dopeystats here is you. What kind of shots were these that Saad apparently allowed? Were they good shots from 20 feet out or were they garbage wristers from way out on the boards? The quality of a shot fucking matters. Corsi doesn't account for this. Saad has had a ton of good chances that he hasn't been able to cash in on, but because he doesn't take a bunch of garbage shots, he gets punished for it by this statistic.

Look at Chicago so far this year(you have to watch the games to do this). Earlier this season they were outshooting teams like crazy, yet weren't scoring, hence my numerous corsi jokes. Fast forward to now. They're still outshooting everybody, yet their offense is finally starting to score a lot of goals. Why? They finally figured out that you need to get traffic in front of the net. To put it simply, better chances = more goals. Higher shot differential means dick.

It may have been a ridiculous undertaking for one person, but Dopey was on the right track with his idea, however primitive it may have been. Not all shot attempts should be treated equally and his proposal of breaking down player positioning on the ice in regards to the play is the first step towards actual advanced stats in hockey. Maybe once that proposed player tracking system gets put in and these "advanced" statistics start factoring in things like takeaways, etc, something can come of it but the current crop of "advanced" stats in hockey amounts to little more than bean counting.

Smiley90

The only one posting dopeystats here is you. What kind of shots were these that Saad apparently allowed? Were they good shots from 20 feet out or were they garbage wristers from way out on the boards? The quality of a shot fucking matters. Corsi doesn't account for this. Saad has had a ton of good chances that he hasn't been able to cash in on, but because he doesn't take a bunch of garbage shots, he gets punished for it by this statistic.

Look at Chicago so far this year(you have to watch the games to do this). Earlier this season they were outshooting teams like crazy, yet weren't scoring, hence my numerous corsi jokes. Fast forward to now. They're still outshooting everybody, yet their offense is finally starting to score a lot of goals. Why? They finally figured out that you need to get traffic in front of the net. To put it simply, better chances = more goals. Higher shot differential means dick.

It may have been a ridiculous undertaking for one person, but Dopey was on the right track with his idea, however primitive it may have been. Not all shot attempts should be treated equally and his proposal of breaking down player positioning on the ice in regards to the play is the first step towards actual advanced stats in hockey. Maybe once that proposed player tracking system gets put in and these "advanced" statistics start factoring in things like takeaways, etc, something can come of it but the current crop of "advanced" stats in hockey amounts to little more than bean counting.

Dopeystats was LITERALLY quality of shots, which is what you were proposing. My "you mean he has great dopeystats" comment was legit :lol

I agree that it's not perfect, but it's a decent start.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Giroux arrived at MSG a with his foot in a boot. But apparently he may be playing after all.

Flyers in their third jerseys tonight.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So uh

Follow

Sorry Acid/RagsGAF
NO SHIT.

So uh

Follow

Sorry Acid/RagsGAF

LA Kings: Stanley Cup champions 2013-2014*

EDIT: Looks like no Sbisa, Horvat in for Vey.

Smiley90

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hey guys, my Ducks ugly sweater came just now. It is better than I could have imagined. And it is definitely knitted and not silk screened.

Everybody here needs to shell out for one of these puppies.

zroid

Banned
Dopeystats was LITERALLY quality of shots, which is what you were proposing. My "you mean he has great dopeystats" comment was legit :lol

I agree that it's not perfect, but it's a decent start.

the thing about possession stats is even though they're not perfect, you can't deny their repeatability and predictivity, which has been shown to be true over the last ~10 years.

i think when you're using small sample sizes like these, there are definitely going to be anomalies. shot quality is an example of that, but one of the things advanced stats have demonstrated (counter-intuitively) is that over large sample sizes, shot quality basically evens out into randomness, except in a few special cases (superstars, generally).

in other words, it's worth considering exceptions in the short-term for all cases, but in the long term, exceptions are pretty rare

Smiley90

the thing about possession stats is even though they're not perfect, you can't deny their repeatability and predictivity, which has been shown to be true over the last ~10 years.

i think when you're using small sample sizes like these, there are definitely going to be anomalies. shot quality is an example of that, but one of the things advanced stats have demonstrated (counter-intuitively) is that over large sample sizes, shot quality basically evens out into randomness, except in a few special cases (superstars, generally).

in other words, it's worth considering exceptions in the short-term for all cases, but in the long term, exceptions are pretty rare

I sorted the 13/14 numbers for bigger sample size

fun fact: Guenin is only the fourth worst on the Avs! good news 19&21! He's slightly better than Malone, Cliche and McLeod were

Gardiner was best for the Leafs in 13/14 while Gunnarson was worst

and just for Marvie, Saad was good. 5th on the Hawks.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
OFFENSIVE JUGGERNAUT KEVIN KLEIN

Give DelZaster an assist on that one. Welcome back MDZ!

By the way, Klein has now tied his career high for goals in a season.

Smiley90

If you're talking last year's stats I'd believe you. Guenin was bad last year, but he's worse this year.

As the season goes on he'll show up in the table for the Avs too. I'm not sure if that's good or bad news.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
OFFENSIVE JUGGERNAUT KEVIN KLEIN

Give DelZaster an assist on that one. Welcome back MDZ!

By the way, Klein has now tied his career high for goals in a season.

The Flyers sure do love to have the nobodies score on them.

Oh and Talbot is in net, I'm expecting a shutout for the Rags.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Go away, RJ Umberger.

I just felt like saying that.

Oh and a fucking PK.

Here comes 2-0, because their PK has been ass lately.

Top Bottom