• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2014 |OT| Cleary Must Be Always

Quick

Banned
I was out for the night.

But never forget to STYLE ON EM LEAFS-GAF!!!

ToMjGplXmltJoa2pswU.gif

Leafs putting a ring on that win.

iMXWYXTg28Dly.gif

Alucard

Banned
All of the Pens big losses so far have come against division rivals. That's not a great sign for the playoffs.

Definitely not, but we've still got a long season ahead.

Btw, I played a 3-hour game of Settlers of Catan tonight and it was great. 3rd time ever playing it, and it was a ton of fun with 4 players.

zroid

Banned
Sad I missed the third period of the Leafs/Wings game (and all the other games), but got to play a crap-ton of Smash, Mario Kart 8, and five player Nintendo Land with my cousins, so I'll deal with it!

AcridMeat

Banned
BIG DICK SWINGIN'

200th goal!
Man that one felt so good to see in person with my Pavs jersey on.

Then he fucked up his shot in the shootout. :(

Defense was bad, the passing in the neutral zone was absolutely horrendous. Couldn't believe how many times they would try the cross ice pass to have it stolen.

It was fun to be in the arena again, hadn't been in about two years. Did you say December 30th is that Canucks game? Let's fuckin DO IT.

Oh one super weird thing though, I saw two ladies wearing Blackhawks jerseys at the game for some reason.

edit: Clydefrog smells.

Edmonton won't get McDavid this year. Guaranteed. They can be dead last all season, and the NHL will fucking rig the lottery to make sure McDavid doesn't have his career completely derailed in that miserable organization.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Edmonton is going to have to trade Hall or RNH in order to begin to turn things around.

Unless this is all an ingenious plan by McTavish to put them in the running for McDavid or Eichel? That would explain having Scrivens and Fasth as your goalie tandem.

WRT to Calgary, they've not accomplished anything other than having a good start.
If they do get Eichel or McDavid, they still wouldn't be able to play defense and they'd have to outscore the other team every night.

I don't blame Eakins for the D and I'm not sure why the fans would either. Their defense has been shoddy under every coach, which tells me management is making the wrong decisions. You can't win without goals, yet you can't win by just defending (though the NJD could prove me wrong years ago). You need a balance of the two obviously, but most of the personnel there aren't capable of playing D well enough despite their supposedly 'good' defensive prospects.

Trading Hall/RNH/Eberle isn't the answer unless they can get a bunch of good two way players back and even then they should probably start with the mid tier players first before it gets to them. Even a line at least dedicated to defending with a guy like Winnik for example could help.

Their goalies aren't great but fuck's sake they can't leave them out to dry as much as they do. Uncontested slapshot from right in the slot?! Edm plz.

They still draft horribly and I honestly think they could've traded down with another team for more complete players instead of guys who can score and not much else though Nurse might be an exception of he pans out.

As for Calgary and it's hot start, they lost key players in the last few years and aren't the worst in the league despite being in the stronger West. I suppose I give them respect because they're not dead last and by rights could be with the players they lost. Still, you are right and there is still time for them to pull a Leaf later in the season.

Montresor

Please please please Calgary make the playoffs.

I just woke up after falling asleep during the 3rd period of the Wings game.

*A+: Leafs win handily against the Wings
*A+: Habs win AGAIN versus the Bruins
*A+: Calgary with a nice comeback win, staying in a playoff spot
*D-: Oilers.... :(

Please please please Calgary make the playoffs.

I just woke up after falling asleep during the 3rd period of the Wings game.

*A+: Leafs win handily against the Wings
*A+: Habs win AGAIN versus the Bruins
*A+: Calgary with a nice comeback win, staying in a playoff spot
*D-: Oilers.... :(

I'm not a Flames fan at all but you can tell they are doing something right. I'd like to see them in the playoffs

Samyy

Spreading the gospel of hopelessness! :'D

So who would be the 8 in the west? And 8 in the east, why not?

Minnesota gets in over Calgary in the West

Calgary has a PDO of 102.17 and a Fenwick % of 47.30. They are the Leafs!

The east is a crap shoot
Pens/Tampa/Montreal/NYI/Bruins/NYR are strong best to get in with Washington/Detroit/Ottawa/Leafs/Philly all potential wildcard teams.

Samyy

Boston and/or NYR missing the playoffs wouldn't surprise me.

I could see that happening but given the quality of teams I doubt it. I think Detroit could be better then Boston.

Another thing, Florida has 20 points in 18 games.
PDO: 97 FF%: 49.33

They're in the mix too.

Minnesota gets in over Calgary in the West

The east is a crap shoot
Pens/Tampa/Montreal/NYI/Bruins/NYR are strong best to get in with Washington/Detroit/Ottawa/Leafs/Philly all potential wildcard teams.

I sure hope so. These powerplay woes are just killing me right now. Koivu's downturn this year has been severe. I don't understand.

zroid

Banned

No Samyy, you don't get it. Calgary works harder than the Leafs so they won't regress.

I wonder how many people said the Leafs were "hardworking" during their good spells in the shortened season and early last season

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Boston and/or NYR missing the playoffs wouldn't surprise me.

Entirely possible, but we're right on the bubble at the moment without the services of our captain and number one defenseman for a large part of the season thus far (and almost all of our defense for a little stretch there). We're showing signs of putting it all together, just wildly inconsistent. If we can get healthy and get rolling the way we have shown we can, we should be fine. That's a big if, though.

This week is a HUGE week for the Rangers. The Habs returning to MSG for the first time since Game 6 tonight, then at the Bolts in Tampa on Wednesday, off for Thanksgiving, then in Philadelphia on Black Friday, and then finally back home at MSG against Philly again on Saturday. This is the sort of week where we can either vault ourselves back up into the mix with the Pens and Isles in the division or seriously crash out of the playoff race altogether.

West will be a bloodbath when Minnesota and Dallas get going again. Calgary will be a bubble team: They have the goaltending and defence, but their offence is likely unsustainable.

zroid

Banned
There's no way Rangers and Bruins don't make it. They'll be fine. I bet we see an Islanders/Rangers first round series. That's gonna be a classic.

ghost77

Banned
wtf Calgary. I go to a party their down 2 nothing......... 5 GOAL COMEBACK! Shit man they nearly beat Chicago too.

The offense is unsustainable , and they can't keep coming back. They need to play tighter in the first and second but man. You watch this team and they're a tough out. The d men always get a ton of good chances and the goaltenders are playing out of their mind. No forwards except hudler, Johnny and Sean stick out but none are bad. Theirs always some random ass forward getting a great breakaway and finishing strong. That combined with our great defensive chances and we hang in there.

I don't think you trade anyone if your the oilers. You have to develop dmen though. Draft hannifin and pull a nyi and trade lower round picks for solid d men that are under appreciated or need to be gotten rid of for cap space.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
What did Habs GAF think of Allen last night? I thought he was kinda meh. But Gonchar seems to be adjusting to the team quite fine.

Thought he was slow, skating and his decision making, but he didn't get caught out of position much. Faster teams may be a problem for him, we'll see.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, tickets bought. Definitely driving into Tampa on Wednesday. I should probably, like, learn where the arena is and shit.

Top Bottom