• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2015 |OT| Dan Cleary demands your respect, not your love

I'm trying to build a home gym because there's just no way I can make it to the gym on the reg. So far I have space, and a bike.

So it's not going very well.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Nylander and Brown were so close this year.

Unless they shit the bed hard, I expect them back. That's a no-brainer.

Percy could still be in the minors another year since D is a logjam.

Not sure where Marner stands.

The good thing with the Leafs roster is how barebones it is at the moment. There are up to 5 forward positions that could open up with UFAs that may not be re-signed. That's Grabner, Matthias, Spaling, Parenteau, and Boyes. I can see PAP sticking around, but that's about it.

My only thing is I just don't see them bringing up so many legit rookies at the same time. I feel like they're stagger them more.

4-5 rookies seems like a lot to me...maybe I'm wrong?

Quick

Banned
I'm trying to build a home gym because there's just no way I can make it to the gym on the reg. So far I have space, and a bike.

I had a membership, but I just didn't enjoy being at the gym (Good Life), so I cancelled early this year after I gave up hope on coming back.

I'm considering joining a smaller gym here, just gotta find the opportunity to take a tour.

On top of running in the winter, since I'm insane.

Quick

Banned
My only thing is I just don't see them bringing up so many legit rookies at the same time. I feel like they're stagger them more.

4-5 rookies seems like a lot to me...maybe I'm wrong?

Could bring in Nylander and Brown next year and sign a UFA or two (or re-sign one of the pending UFAs), and just stagger them, for sure.

This is what's interesting about the Leafs roster. Holes can be plugged temporarily until more permanent pieces come in.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Even for a bottom team like Toronto, 4-5 rookies is crazy. Don't see Babcock being down with that either, not because of the "lol Babcock hates rookies" excuses mad Detroit fans through out, but because he's such a system guy and it will be difficult to enforce that with 5 rookies at once.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Even for a bottom team like Toronto, 4-5 rookies is crazy. Don't see Babcock being down with that either, not because of the "lol Babcock hates rookies" excuses mad Detroit fans through out, but because he's such a system guy and it will be difficult to enforce that with 5 rookies at once.

Leafs are training the same system in the marlies

Red_Man

Leafs are training the same system in the marlies
Yea, and so does every other AHL team, but that doesn't mean these kids will come up and fit into Babcock's style seamlessly, he's notoriously hard on players for a reason.

zroid

Banned

Yeah it is a lot, but I guess that's why Babcock is spending so much time working with Sheldon Keefe on having both teams play the same system. Advantage of having the AHL team a few minutes away, I guess.

I think Nylander and Marner are virtual locks, and like I said Leivo's and Percy's waiver exemption ends this year, so they'll probably be up with the Leafs too. Brown seemed NHL-ready, but he might stay down just because there's no room.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yea, and so does every other AHL team, but that doesn't mean these kids will come up and fit into Babcock's style seamlessly, he's notoriously hard on players for a reason.

Keefe and Babcock are constantly talking with each other regarding the players in the system and maintaining a very very similar coaching style, expectation and execution across the teams.

here's a take by a player that has been going between both teams:

“Now, they’re putting a lot of emphasis on keeping the team young and developing the young guys. They’re definitely coaching the same way at both levels. Even in practices I notice Babcock doesn’t really use the whiteboard, and down here Sheldon doesn’t use it at all. The main goal is for everyone to be as comfortable as they can when they get called up.”

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I've got a couple of things, and that's what I use, I don't have a gym membership. I'd be much more motivated at a gym, but I don't feel like going to one regularly, and memberships are too expensive unless you use it often.

Swimming would be a good idea zroid, I love swimming, and it never feels like a workout.

LOL RedBlacks

giphy.gif

iLLmAtlc

I've got a couple of things, and that's what I use, I don't have a gym membership. I'd be much more motivated at a gym, but I don't feel like going to one regularly, and memberships are too expensive unless you use it often.

Swimming would be a good idea zroid, I love swimming, and it never feels like a workout.

are you cycling then? the activity itself might be too boring, maybe you need something more challenging.

i think if your activity is intense enough 30 minutes is plenty. i do a combination of hill sprinting and jogging 3x a week for 30-40 mins. it's perfect if you're too lazy to goto a gym like me.

imBask

Banned
I started a document where I dumped all games i'd be willing to consider in my top 10 this year and i'm at 22 so far.

what
a
year

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
are you cycling then? the activity itself might be too boring, maybe you need something more challenging.

i think if your activity is intense enough 30 minutes is plenty. i do a combination of hill sprinting and jogging 3x a week for 30-40 mins. it's perfect if you're too lazy to goto a gym like me.

I just work out at home with weights. I should have gotten into joggin but I'm lazy, and now it's getting cold.

I'm not looking to become jacked or anything, but I'd like to put on some sort of muscle, and I feel I've gotten way too out of shape in the past few years.

I started a document where I dumped all games i'd be willing to consider in my top 10 this year and i'm at 22 so far.

what
a
year

I'm not even sure I played 10 games this year.

Red_Man

20 contracts the Habs will have to make decisions on this summer

The only guys I see them keeping / resigning are DSP, Flash, Ghetto, Carr, Dumont, Ellis, Bennet, and Weise if he doesn't walk for more cash. I assume that Tinordi and Gilbert will be traded, Tokarski won't be resigned and the rest will just be throw in for trades or not resigned either.

zroid

Banned
Speaking of rookies, I remembered something I read recently about whether Nylander should be called up this year or not.

I've always maintained it makes more sense to let the ELC slide to next year, but one thing I hadn't realized is the rules for years of control differs from when the ELC kicks in. Apparently if you play more than 9 but fewer than 40 games (or so) in your first year, then, while ELC year one kicks in, RFA is extended by one year.

So essentially calling him up to play <40 games would result in the same number of controllable years. In a lot of ways I think this is more important than letting the ELC slide, so I'd be open to bringing him up in January or whenever it is. Getting that extra bit of NHL experience is good.

20 contracts the Habs will have to make decisions on this summer

The only guys I see them keeping / resigning are DSP, Flash, Ghetto, Carr, Dumont, Ellis, Bennet, and Weise if he doesn't walk for more cash. I assume that Tinordi and Gilbert will be traded, Tokarski won't be resigned and the rest will just be throw in for trades or not resigned either.

I wanna give Kassian a chance.. But I think it's best that we don't sign him back. I definitely wanna keep Flash,DSP Weise and Andrighetto

Dumont isn't a great player, he's probably gone in a trade or something

Red_Man

I wanna give Kassian a chance.. But I think it's best that we don't sign him back.
Lol Kassian will never play in a Habs jersey, and may never play again in the NHL period. Guy really blew his last chance. As for Dumont, he's the Ice Caps Captain, and a great AHLer, they need guys like him to keep the team stable as prospects come up, no one is trading for him.

malfcn

Cool, Sparks is getting a start for the Leafs against Oilers. He's in a goalie fb group and been working hard for years. The guy organizes training camps and has a good attitude. Best of luck to him.

iLLmAtlc

you guys watching the NFL game? this is intense.

not sure about that penalty, pretty borderline DB hold and the worst part is it had no outcome on the play with how quickly the QB got sacked

Cake Boss

Banned
Anybody here work out on the regular?

I'm trying to get swole like Cake Boss but I can barely motivate myself enough to work out twice a week, and I'm lucky if I push 30 minutes. Shit sucks, and it's not even the pain/sweat that gets me, it's just so damn boring.

I had this problem at the beginning when I started, I now listen to hockey radio/podcasts/sports radio while working out. This past year it has been all Leafs Lunch streamed during every session. 1hr and 30min or so keeps me entertained. Also what I find helpful is keeping a routine under a time constraint, that way you don't dose off, and continue your sets in a timely manner. Try some p90x routines.

Also the view doesn't hurt :p, that's some motivation to stay in the gym instead of the cold outside where every women is covered head to toe like you are in Saudi Arabia.

One of the main motivation factors other than to stay healthy and look good naked is that when I know I am wasting money into this membership, I am more inclined to get my moneys worth and not skip out every time. Maybe that's me being cheap but that helped as opposed to just working out at home and don't feel as bad skipping out a couple of days or two. Also its easier to workout at the gym since most equipment come with TVs that you can connect to while jogging or other shit.

Socreges

Banned
Was just saying I have to get back to the gym. Life got busy so I thought soccer would suffice but running around twice a week isn't enough overall

Plus soccer don't get you jacked

Any good reference sites for p90x? Big part of me being disciplined and consistent is having confidence with my workout plan/routine

Quick

Banned
Any of you guys work out during work hours? Like, on your break?

That might sound weird, but I'm tempted to use my break as my time to jog or something.

Any of you guys work out during work hours? Like, on your break?

That might sound weird, but I'm tempted to use my break as my time to jog or something.

I couldn't do that, it has to be before or after. I don't like feeling rushed when I'm working out.

I've started doing MMA again and unfortunately there's only classes from 6-7 every night. Going to them after a day of work and being tired as hell is the worst.

Morning workouts kick butt.

Lunchtime workouts can take a hike.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of rookies, I remembered something I read recently about whether Nylander should be called up this year or not.

I've always maintained it makes more sense to let the ELC slide to next year, but one thing I hadn't realized is the rules for years of control differs from when the ELC kicks in. Apparently if you play more than 9 but fewer than 40 games (or so) in your first year, then, while ELC year one kicks in, RFA is extended by one year.

So essentially calling him up to play <40 games would result in the same number of controllable years. In a lot of ways I think this is more important than letting the ELC slide, so I'd be open to bringing him up in January or whenever it is. Getting that extra bit of NHL experience is good.
We have too many fringe players that need to get seen to have their asses traded for assets. I still say leave him down there and let him experience more winning and personal success. Part of the SHANAPLANS is being ok with patience, so I hope they don't call Nylander up when he hasn't even been in the AHL for a full season yet.

Additionally, I'm also not sure where you'd slot him with our Cs as they are; he's not enough for playoffs or Cup contention; any games we win with him in the line up decreases our chances of a higher draft pick.

Next year when there is inevitably quite a bit of turnover and our prospects are banging down the door, we should see more improvement with a playoffs the year after that and hopefully an actual deep run after that.

Bringing him up now isn't going to help.

Red_Man

TVA saying Price is getting checked out today, worst case scenario us a ligament year which would put him out most of the season. That would really suck after the start we've had.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of changes for the Rangers today at morning skate, unsurprisingly.

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Lindberg-Fast
Miller-Hayes-Stalberg
Moore-Stoll-Etem

McDonagh-Klein
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Girardi/McIlrath

Kinda hope that means AV is considering benching G in favor of McIlrath for tonight.
And I wonder how many more chances Etem gets at being ineffective and unproductive before someone gets called up from Hartford instead.

And for you other people, Carey Price is out 6 weeks. EDIT: Ah, I see that's been covered already.

Red_Man

Price out six weeks, no surgery required.could be worse, but man that's brutal. Means he'll miss the winter classic too, fuck me. Time for Bergevin to trade for Reimer.

Top Bottom