• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

Marvie_3

Banned
Shaw finished at 19:45

19:45

Andrew Shaw

081.gif

He didn't do much, but it was his line that was getting all the ice time for some reason
Did Quenneville start coaching the Habs too?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
TSN publishing articles comparing Marner to Kane now.....

And Leaf fans wonder why everyone rips on the Leafs

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Someone who claims to know peeps in whalercanes was suggesting a move to Atlanta (unsure wtf whaler canes is tbf)

Supposedly new hawks owner wants NHL back

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The reason the thrashers were relocated was the owner wanted to sell and didn't want to lease the arena to any new owners.

Under those kind of circumstances, NHL can't do shit. It was either sell and relocate or fold.

Don Waddell: Relocation talk surrounding Carolina Hurricanes is the result of baseless Montreal media speculation

Carolina Hurricanes president Don Waddell met with members of the local media during Friday night’s game against the Montreal Canadiens to address the seemingly endless speculation about the team’s future in the Raleigh market.

Waddell said that today’s firestorm of speculation about relocation has its roots in the host of a Montreal radio program, Martin McGuire, who started this line of discussion earlier this week before the Canadiens arrived in Raleigh. It took on a life of its own at the morning skate this morning, when the Canes locker room was besieged by questions from Canadiens reporters about the possibility of relocation.

Regarding the team’s revenue streams, Waddell indicated that despite the large numbers of recent empty seats, the Canes’ revenue is up over recent years. It is helped by a robust revenue sharing program that has drastically reduced the reliance on gate receipts, down from a high of nearly 70% before the 2005 CBA went into effect to about 30% today.

“Revenue sharing at one time was $6-7 million per team,” Waddell said. “Now it is much greater than that. The league has done a tremendous job of assisting teams who are not going to be a market like some of our competitors when it comes to attendance. The salary cap and revenue sharing works very well for all 30 teams.”

Additionally, Waddell said that while the investment bank advising Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos is still technically under contract because there is no end date on the contract, they are no longer actively utilizing the bank’s services in attempting to find a buyer.

“We’ve shut down our investment banker. If someone comes along saying they would want to buy it, we would talk about it,” Waddell said, adding that everything has a price. “But we are not actively looking for investors. I haven’t met with prospective buyers in the past four or five months.”

Asked specifically if Karmanos had received an offer to buy the team that he turned down, as had been reported in Quebec media late last season, Waddell said directly that the answer was no. “We’ve had some people look at it some pretty hard, but we have not had to turn down an offer,” he said.

Someone who claims to know peeps in whalercanes was suggesting a move to Atlanta (unsure wtf whaler canes is tbf)

Why the fuck would we let Atlanta have a team again? We gave that shit City two NHL teams and the people still didn't come to the games.

Quick

Banned
Didn't realize Don Waddell is president of the Hurricanes ownership group.

Does he get a punch card for free yogurt if the Canes relocate? That would be the second time he'd be involved in a team relocation if so.

I like to think I know how to use a hangar. I wonder why the back of the necks on my jerseys keep drooping, though.

Are you using thick hangers?

Basically hangers that are thick enough that the neck can't droop.

matte_black_high_end_crafted_strong_style_color_b82220_coat_hanger_strong_with_3_2cm_thick_shoulder.jpg

Yeah, I doubt that. There's no way that the league wants to have a 3rd team fail in that city.

This is coming from Waddell so if anything, this shows the relocation talks have some degree of truth.

Quick

Banned
Get a quality suit jacket hanger. What are you doing, using a wire hanger or one of those cheap plastic ones?

Suit jacket hanger might be overkill, though it does work for jerseys with shoulder patches.

I wish I actually had room to store my jerseys folded.

PillarEN

Montreal roads are are such shit

Is it true that all highways in Canada have that annoying "kadunk, kadunk" kind of bumps on their highways every two seconds? I remember seeing Pearl Jam in Ottawa back in 05 and Eddie told the crowd he knew an American company that can fix Canada's highways. The crowd booed (deep in the Bush years after all). The gig was awesome though.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Is it true that all highways in Canada have that annoying "kadunk, kadunk" kind of bumps on their highways every two seconds? I remember seeing Pearl Jam in Ottawa back in 05 and Eddie told the crowd he knew an American company that can fix Canada's highways. The crowd booed (deep in the Bush years after all). The gig was awesome though.

No, at least not all over the place.

Bad news for the NWHL.

The National Women’s Hockey League is slashing its player salaries in half in a drastic cost-cutting measure that’s regarded as one of the second-year league’s only chances to continue operating this season.

"The players have been informed in the interest of keeping the league financially viable that we have to enact salary cuts effective immediately," NWHL Commissioner Dani Rylan said during a conference call with reporters Friday.

A person with direct knowledge of the decision told The Associated Press that player salaries were cut by 50 per cent, which represents as much as $540,000 in savings. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because Rylan declined to disclose any figures.

Rylan did say the cuts do not apply to league employees and team employees who are not players.

She said team executives will have added responsibilities in an effort to increase ticket sales and attract sponsors. The four-team league has franchises in Boston; New York; Stamford, Connecticut; and Buffalo, New York.

CWHL players also aren't paid salaries but instead earn prize money for winning the regular season and playoff titles. The league has announced plans to begin paying players some sort of a stipend as early as next season.

Though many in hockey circles -- including Calgary Flames President Brian Burke -- have lobbied for the two leagues to merge, Rylan has been cool to the proposal in part because the two operate on different business models.

On Thursday, Rylan said she has had "amicable" talks with CWHL officials, but added she has nothing new to report on any merger plans.

Apparently the league is being killed in regards to insurance premiums after the injury Denna Laing sustained. Though Brian Burke raises a fantastic point, if the NWHL is this much in dire straits, they should merge the CWHL and the NWHL.

Socreges

Banned
...what? I don't know what happens out East, but BC highways are in good shape.

Top Bottom