• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

Socreges

Banned
Well the fact the current approach isn't working has to do with his deficiency in targeting players right? (i.e. talent evaluation) If you're arguing "it's too early to evaluate his draft picks" it's not that convincing to me when you're ignoring all of those NHL flops in his record.

Really, evaluating NHL talent should be easier since you're not projecting that far into the future, and so far most of those have been misses. That does not bode well for his future picks tbh.
...I think you've lost the plot.

imBask

Banned
Benning will prove all of you wrong by picking the first women player in Price's daughter, 16 years from now. The current plan is to compete for the next 12-13 years with the Sedins, and rebuild around her after that, you'll see!

iLLmAtlc

...I think you've lost the plot.

Do you disagree that whether draft picks will be successful depends on Benning's success in evaluating hockey talent?

If no, then why would you ignore examples of him evaluating hockey talent at the NHL level? I'm saying a stronger conclusion than "it's too early" is warranted, it's that his evaluation at the NHL level does not give us reason to be confident about his draft picks.

He's targeting the wrong guys (Vey, Clendenning, Gudbranson, Bartkowski, Sbisa) and that has nothing to do with the retool philosophy. That's Benning being bad at evaluating how good those guys are.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Benning will prove all of you wrong by picking the first women player in Price's daughter, 16 years from now. The current plan is to compete for the next 12-13 years with the Sedins, and rebuild around her after that, you'll see!

The Flames will pick her as soon as she gets into high school tho

Foggy

@Aportzline
Tortorella: "I'd rather spend time doing that than listening to this crap about the Corsi and the Fenwick, because those stats do not apply. I don't care what anybody says in this league, they don't apply to the game of hockey. The scoring chances for and is what tells you the story of the individual player and your team concept, as far as what's going on.

SUCK IT STAT MARKS!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
From Bob's article on the Kadri-Sedin/rule controversy:

http://www.tsn.ca/problem-isn-t-with-nhl-dops-it-s-the-rulebook-1.602168

Interesting tidbit:

"But the Kadri hit on Sedin may be the catalyst to bring about some converts to the anti-blindside bandwagon.
I know now of at least 10 NHL GMs who think Rule 48 should be re-worded to make Kadri on Sedin and/or Malone on Foligno an illegal hit."

and on the other end

"One GM said he'd rather do away with Rule 48 entirely -- basically, keep your head up, fellas -- than modify it in any way."

I wonder who that one GM was...... MIKE IS THAT YOU

I wish Bob had brought up the Torres on Stoll hit though, which was also a "glancing the shoulder, principal point of impact the head" hit, same as Kadri-on-Daniel. This way the argument is just about what the first touch was, not what the MAIN impact was, which unquestionably was the head.

Socreges

Banned
From Bob's article on the Kadri-Sedin/rule controversy:

http://www.tsn.ca/problem-isn-t-with-nhl-dops-it-s-the-rulebook-1.602168

Interesting tidbit:

"But the Kadri hit on Sedin may be the catalyst to bring about some converts to the anti-blindside bandwagon.
I know now of at least 10 NHL GMs who think Rule 48 should be re-worded to make Kadri on Sedin and/or Malone on Foligno an illegal hit."

and on the other end

"One GM said he'd rather do away with Rule 48 entirely -- basically, keep your head up, fellas -- than modify it in any way."

I wonder who that one GM was...... MIKE IS THAT YOU

I wish Bob had brought up the Torres on Stoll hit though, which was also a "glancing the shoulder, principal point of impact the head" hit, same as Kadri-on-Daniel. This way the argument is just about what the first touch was, not what the MAIN impact was, which unquestionably was the head.
Oh my that's a passive aggressive article.

And like you say, Torres-Stoll shows there has been an interpretation of the rules, a precedent set, that would see Kadri held at fault. That the DoPS is also responsible here, not simply an inanimate rulebook that some feels needs updating.

Pikma

Banned
CwsWw9eVQAA5UJ4.jpg

Oh my that's a passive aggressive article.

And like you say, Torres-Stoll shows there has been an interpretation of the rules, a precedent set, that would see Kadri held at fault. That the DoPS is also responsible here, not simply an inanimate rulebook that some feels needs updating.

The DoPS ruled the head was the primary point of contact in the Torres-Stoll hit, and in the Sedin hit they ruled he lined up with the body. Torres sharply changes direction prior to the hit, with the way rule 48 is worded that's likely a deciding factor.

But you probably know better than 28 out of 30 GMs who think DoPS got it right according to the rules. I don't know the percentage of GMs who approved of the Torres suspension, to be fair.

Edit: Even if you believe the Torres-Stoll hit from 2013 is some sort of precedent, the GM meeting this year is a much more recent precedent and they explicitly said this was a legal hit. What on earth would make you think the DoPS is going to go against what their bosses tell them?

zroid

Banned
tfw there's a Muk nearby but your phone's almost out of battery and you have to guess that it's either north or south... and you guess wrong

Top Bottom