• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Calling Patches overrated when he's been one of the best scorers in the league over the last few years and calling him a coaches shill when he was voted captain by his own peers, good grief. No wonder no one wants to play in Montreal.

Calling Patches overrated when he's been one of the best scorers in the league over the last few years and calling him a coaches shill when he was voted captain by his own peers, good grief. No wonder no one wants to play in Montreal.
Lets ask Ryan Reaves why he doesn't want to play there

imBask

Banned
yeah weird how nobody ever complains about guys like Gallagher eventhough he scores a lot less than Pacioretty. Maybe it's because he visibly shows up no matter what, unlike someone else

Red_Man

yeah weird how nobody ever complains about guys like Gallagher eventhough he scores a lot less than Pacioretty. Maybe it's because he visibly shows up no matter what, unlike someone else
Montreal needs scoring more than anyone, you don't trade a top scorer making $4.5 M. This happens every season, he always starts slow, people shit on him, and he ends the season with 30 goals and the most game winners on the team. It's ridiculous at this point.

imBask

Banned
Montreal needs scoring more than anyone, you don't trade a top scorer making $4.5 M. This happens every season, he always starts slow, people shit on him, and he ends the season with 30 goals and the most game winners on the team. It's ridiculous at this point.

I agree that he won't get traded and his salary is great, but I never liked him, never will, no matter the number of goals he puts on the board

i'm not saying trade him for some doofus and picks, if you're going to trade Pacioretty you better get another 30+ goal scorer coming the other way. But maybe one who will show up every game and doesn't have the charisma of a corpse

Red_Man

I agree that he won't get traded and his salary is great, but I never liked him, never will, no matter the number of goals he puts on the board

i'm not saying trade him for some doofus and picks, if you're going to trade Pacioretty you better get another 30+ goal scorer coming the other way. But maybe one who will show up every game and doesn't have the charisma of a corpse
You'd never get a value return on him, and he wasn't my first choice for captain, but I don't know how you argue it when the players themselves chose him, unless people want to start pretending they know the inside of that room better than they do.

zroid

Banned
f39c2c7c923e447aa9a7e47b88664fa8.png

Lucky ass panther fans

Do they have three or four good forwards injured?

I'm not sure... but they lost Nielsen and Okposo to FA and replaced them with Chimera and Ladd. It's not working out so well...

Pikma

Banned
f39c2c7c923e447aa9a7e47b88664fa8.png

Lucky ass panther fans

I'm not sure... but they lost Nielsen and Okposo to FA and replaced them with Chimera and Ladd. It's not working out so well...

They live in Florida, how's that lucky?

Also, getting eaten by a fucking alligator in the everglades doesn't sound like something i'd want to experience

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

It never ends man. Chasing star players out of town is the favourite past time of Montreal fans.

Socreges

Banned
The DoPS ruled the head was the primary point of contact in the Torres-Stoll hit, and in the Sedin hit they ruled he lined up with the body. Torres sharply changes direction prior to the hit, with the way rule 48 is worded that's likely a deciding factor.

But you probably know better than 28 out of 30 GMs who think DoPS got it right according to the rules. I don't know the percentage of GMs who approved of the Torres suspension, to be fair.

Edit: Even if you believe the Torres-Stoll hit from 2013 is some sort of precedent, the GM meeting this year is a much more recent precedent and they explicitly said this was a legal hit. What on earth would make you think the DoPS is going to go against what their bosses tell them?
You keep talking past me, so maybe I'm not being clear. To focus on what we're talking about here, please tell me if you disagree that Kadri's hit was a glancing blow to Daniel's shoulder with the principal point of contact being the head. Because that is the crux of what Smiley and I are talking about and I'm sure you understand why.

These are the two slow-mo angles from CBC, though I suspect there's more

Angle 1
Angle 2

Dovetails perfectly with the Torres-Stoll incident and Shanahan's DPoS explanation. "Does not make the head the principal point of contact" is essential. The initial point of contact is unimportant. Daniel's body barely moves until the head is contacted, at which point he's sent flying and so is his helmet.

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head - A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principle point of contact is not permitted.

If they retroactively repealed the Torres judgement and/or decided to change their stance on such a hit, then of course the precedent is invalidated.

You keep talking past me, so maybe I'm not being clear. To focus on what we're talking about here, please tell me if you disagree that Kadri's hit was a glancing blow to Daniel's shoulder with the principal point of contact being the head. Because that is the crux of what Smiley and I are talking about and I'm sure you understand why.

These are the two slow-mo angles from CBC, though I suspect there's more

Angle 1
Angle 2

Dovetails perfectly with the Torres-Stoll incident and Shanahan's DPoS explanation. "Does not make the head the principal point of contact" is essential. The initial point of contact is unimportant. Daniel's body barely moves until the head is contacted, at which point he's sent flying and so is his helmet.

If they retroactively repealed the Torres judgement and/or decided to change their stance on such a hit, then of course the precedent is invalidated.

Why does what I think matter? The crux of my argument is that the problem is that the NHL thinks that's a legal hit. Why are you harping on what I think? 28 out of 30 GMs say that's a legal hit, and they're the people who actually make the rules. I don't, you don't, so our opinions on whether it's legal are moot. The NHL said it is, so it is.

It's like you have this reflex blame the DoPS reaction that you can't seem to shake, regardless of what the reality is. The NHL has basically said that's a legal hit and you're still pushing this idea that secretly it isn't. I get that you're upset that your guy got hit but for the love of god direct your anger towards the right people.

You still haven't explained to me why you think DoPS is going to suspend a player for an infraction that according to big head Bob they are told explicitly isn't banned.

Top Bottom