• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

With what? Pity?

Gold

Big Head Bob knows what's what:

http://www.tsn.ca/problem-isn-t-with-nhl-dops-it-s-the-rulebook-1.602168

Anecdotally, though, I would suggest the number of advocates who want to modify Rule 48 is slowly but surely growing. It's now into double digits but not by any means a majority.
If Canucks fans knew how strongly many NHL GMs feel about not changing Rule 48, and how those GMs have effectively instructed DoPS to administer it, they might be more inclined to let DoPS off the hook for the Kadri ruling.
Or maybe not.

NHL instructs the DoPS. Not the other way around.

Socreges

Banned
Benning good drafter tho.
derp. He's been the GM for 3 drafts. 2 draft years are still junior or in college

Jake Virtanen - on Canucks
Jared McCann - on Panthers
Thatcher Demko - AHL (4 games)
Nikita Tryamkin - on Canucks
Gustav Forsling - on Hawks
Kyle Pettit - junior team
Mackenze Stewart - ECHL

Marvie_3

Banned
derp. He's been the GM for 3 drafts. 2 draft years are still junior or in college

Jake Virtanen - on Canucks
Jared McCann - on Panthers
Thatcher Demko - AHL (4 games)
Nikita Tryamkin - on Canucks
Gustav Forsling - on Hawks
Kyle Pettit - junior team
Mackenze Stewart - ECHL
Thanks for this one btw. Forsling has been great so far.

zroid

Banned
1e77292776624398a67d66a725f6ee78.png

iLLmAtlc

For all of slim jim's scouting prowess almost all of his moves have been flops so far. Forsling was traded for NHL ready defence Adam Clendenning and he managed like 20 games before they shipped him out.

Demko
Boeser
Linden Vey
Vrbata
Baertschi
Granlund
Sutter
Gudbranson
Sbisa
Pedan
Larsen
Dorsett
Stetcher

Not to mention waiving Corrado so we could get 1 season of Matt Bartkowski. =

A few of these might still pan out like Baertschi, and Vrbata was great in the first year. I'm also pretty sure Demko and Boeser will be good.

But yeah, I'm not seeing his scouting prowess with most of that stuff.

calder

That's a very tradeable deal, but I kinda assume he'll be here this year at least.

Hopefully, we need him pretty badly (or else a guy who's basically him back). That's crazy hard to trade for if he's signed to 5.5aav

calder

Trouba for Seabrook?

Hang on, let me check the list of "NHL rosters where Trouba can be a RHD and get PP time..."

Holy shit! This list is just a list of all the US based big market and/or warm weather NHL teams that doesn't really correspond to roster setup at all! What the heck!?!

zroid

Banned
Well if they're gonna trade him, now would be a really good time. Anyone can fit that contract into their payroll no problem.

calder

Well if they're gonna trade him, now would be a really good time. Anyone can fit that contract into their payroll no problem.

That contract is basically daring the Rangers, Wings and Bruins to dig deep and give the Jets what they want. I don't know what cap looks like for those teams after this season but even teams right up to the limit can make something work for a guy to resign if they have a year and a half to plan.

But I still think, on no real evidence, that the Jets plan to keep Trouba this season and then shop him hard during the offseason. They can even protect him from the expansion draft and up his value even more.

Marvie_3

Banned
That contract is basically daring the Rangers, Wings and Bruins to dig deep and give the Jets what they want. I don't know what cap looks like for those teams after this season but even teams right up to the limit can make something work for a guy to resign if they have a year and a half to plan.

But I still think, on no real evidence, that the Jets plan to keep Trouba this season and then shop him hard during the offseason. They can even protect him from the expansion draft and up his value even more.
If you take Seabrook we can afford him going forward. Really we're doing you a favor here.

For all of slim jim's scouting prowess almost all of his moves have been flops so far. Forsling was traded for NHL ready defence Adam Clendenning and he managed like 20 games before they shipped him out.

Demko
Boeser
Linden Vey
Vrbata
Baertschi
Granlund
Sutter
Gudbranson
Sbisa
Pedan
Larsen
Dorsett
Stetcher

Not to mention waiving Corrado so we could get 1 season of Matt Bartkowski. =

A few of these might still pan out like Baertschi, and Vrbata was great in the first year. I'm also pretty sure Demko and Boeser will be good.

But yeah, I'm not seeing his scouting prowess with most of that stuff.

Well a few of those aren't a result of scouting.

Soc's list is more accurate: most of his draft picks are in junior or in the NHL.

2014 draft: 7 picks, 4 in NHL, 2 in junior, 1 in AHL.
2015 draft: 7 picks, all in college/junior (1 in Czech league).
2016 draft: 6 picks, all in college/junior.

If there's criticism to be had, it's that he really should be getting more picks instead of trading them away.

calder

If you take Seabrook we can afford him going forward. Really we're doing you a favor here.

Hmm, maybe, let me check with Trouba's agent Kurt Overhardt.... damn, sorry to do this on your birthday Marvie but it turns out Trouba wants to be closer to his girlfriend in Florida I mean the Hawks defensive depth is such that he doesn't feel he'll get his minutes. :(

Marvie_3

Banned
Hmm, maybe, let me check with Trouba's agent Kurt Overhardt.... damn, sorry to do this on your birthday Marvie but it turns out Trouba wants to be closer to his girlfriend in Florida I mean the Hawks defensive depth is such that he doesn't feel he'll get his minutes. :(
Chicago is closer to florida.

Socreges

Banned
It's okay soc. He will be fired soon and you won't be forced to defend him.

It's okay 🙆
Just pointing out your stupidity. If that coincides with defending Benning, so be it! 😙

Benning is terrible in many ways. But his drafting has obviously been fairly good overall so far as we can judge

Well a few of those aren't a result of scouting.

Soc's list is more accurate: most of his draft picks are in junior or in the NHL.

2014 draft: 7 picks, 4 in NHL, 2 in junior, 1 in AHL.
2015 draft: 7 picks, all in college/junior (1 in Czech league).
2016 draft: 6 picks, all in college/junior.

If there's criticism to be had, it's that he really should be getting more picks instead of trading them away.
Exactly. We're talking about drafting (specifically with respect to the AHL, which has practically nothing to do with Benning)

Sir have you ever heard of Jakub Kindl???

Socreges

Banned
If he's such a good talent evaluator it should apply to his NHL moves too, no?
Benning trades to accelerate success. Potential is sacrificed for immediate return. No one here would argue that this approach is working.

Again, we're talking about drafting. But you're welcome to have your own conversation - just don't confuse the two.

Cake Boss

Banned
Just pointing out your stupidity. If that coincides with defending Benning, so be it! 😙

Benning is terrible in many ways. But his drafting has obviously been fairly good overall so far as we can judge

Exactly. We're talking about drafting (specifically with respect to the AHL, which has practically nothing to do with Benning)

Yeah Jake Virtanen good choice there mate. It's okay, your starting to sound like Vancouver version of Red, delusional defending of shitty management.

iLLmAtlc

Well the fact the current approach isn't working has to do with his deficiency in targeting players right? (i.e. talent evaluation) If you're arguing "it's too early to evaluate his draft picks" it's not that convincing to me when you're ignoring all of those NHL flops in his record.

Really, evaluating NHL talent should be easier since you're not projecting that far into the future, and so far most of those have been misses. That does not bode well for his future picks tbh.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah Jake Virtanen good choice there mate. It's okay, your starting to sound like Vancouver version of Red, delusional defending of shitty management.
Nice try. From a couple weeks ago:

Choosing Virtanen at #6 over Nylander was always a terrible decision. Now at least Benning has the evidence right in front of him
Benning has drafted well overall (or at least his team has). Virtanen was always a poor pick even at the time, but he's still 'commended' otherwise.
Your point was that the Comets being shit somehow proves that Benning is a bad drafter. Which doesn't make sense. Then you brought up Virtanen, going in a completely different direction. Only that's one player, and I agree with you. So what now?

Top Bottom