• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

I think I have discovered Gauthier's master plan, the final missing piece.... Yakupov! Truly a stroke of brilliance, Pierre!

Okay, I need to stop depressing myself. Please at least compete on Saturday, boys. At this point, its all I am asking for.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Solid game. Fleury was good, Neal Neal'd, onward and upward. Orpik and Letang will finally be reunited this Saturday, if we continue to play well shit is gonna get real once our stars come back.

Meh, 4-1-1, same record as the Flyers. And after tonight Montreal is going to be worse than Ottawa, so...

raNy0.jpg

Wilson needs to go, though.

Hmmmm.....

6-2.

It hurts!

@MPW...

I fucking love you man. That is golden. I was going to post that as well but you did it for me. Great stuff! Lmao.

Seriously, the Habs are playing worst than they've ever played since the big cleanup. It's kinda sad.

I'm not asking for trades right now, cause we've got nothing we can give that's interesting (gotta keep what we have, damnit). I'm just saying, Kirk Muller was more important to that club than we all thought, clearly. I give Jacques Martin 4 more games. If we don't win 2 of the next 4, it's out you go.

Solo

I just cannot figure out why this team is going backwards. All outward indications were that we got even better this offseason, not worse. 2009-2010 was a great roller coaster of a season. We built upon that in 2010-2011. All the pieces seemed to be in place. 13 players from the 2009 rebuild are still there, so lots of stability and consistency. Then 2011-2012 starts, and we go right off the rails.

Roman Hamrlik must have been the secret weapon.

Oh yeah, I forgot somethin; Gustavsson is better than Price even better, Tim Thomas! ;)

You never know.

Gustav is even WORSE than Reimer. God, both our goalie's have been average at best. The only difference is, one was call the second coming of christ last season and the other is this season's MONSTER.

MONSTER I TELL YOU.

Cactus

Banned
+Kadri
+Gardiner
+Frattin
-Gustavsson (although he did keep the team in the game until the third)
-Orr & Rosehill (why are these guys still on the team?)
-special teams
-overall defensive game

Overall a mixed bag. Wasn't a terrible effort (despite the score) but far from optimal. Hopefully the team can bounce back on Saturday, because I'm guessing the Habs will probably play their best game of the season after such an embarrassing start.

Alucard

Banned
Solo said:
I just cannot figure out why this team is going backwards. All outward indications were that we got even better this offseason, not worse. 2009-2010 was a great roller coaster of a season. We built upon that in 2010-2011. All the pieces seemed to be in place. 13 players from the 2009 rebuild are still there, so lots of stability and consistency. Then 2011-2012 starts, and we go right off the rails.

Ever think that you guys have just been overachieving the past two seasons? 'Cause that sounds about right.

MPW

Solo said:

lol really?

habs went far because Halak was playing f'n amazing + cammy was beastin'

if habs missing the playoffs is what is needed to ship gomez down to minors in the summer and free up 7m in cap space, so be it

Solo

Foreign Jackass said:
Seriously, the Habs are playing worst than they've ever played since the big cleanup. It's kinda sad.

Yep :_(

I'm just saying, Kirk Muller was more important to that club than we all thought, clearly.

I've said from the very first day we learned Muller was going to leave that he was a Titanic-sized loss. Anyone who has watched the Habs play the past two years knows that he was the real passionate, fiery coach that the guys loved to play for, and was the special teams master mind. Randy Cunneyworth hasn't proven himself worth of sniffing Muller's 1993 Stanley Cup winning goal scoring jockstrap.

MacAttack

Home said:
What did he do that made them hate him so much I wonder.

Looks like we need a better backup. Gus hasn't been so good.

He didnt fit into the traditional mold of Boston players. The obvious joke being he was a potential 40 goal scorer. Bruins fans respect two way players that go into the corners. It's why players with less skill and more grit than Kessel like Lucic and PJ Axelson will always get more love from Boston fans.

I'm sure him being traded to a division rival (which says a lot about what the Bruins organization thought of Kessel) and his being an easy target (goofy looking, affable personality) have a large part to do with it.

I don't know, it seems obvious to me why Bruins fans dislike Kessel.

Solo said:
I've said from the very first day we learned Muller was going to leave that he was a Titanic-sized loss. Anyone who has watched the Habs play the past two years knows that he was the real passionate, fiery coach that the guys loved to play for, and was the special teams master mind. Randy Cunneyworth hasn't proven himself worth of sniffing Muller's 1993 Stanley Cup winning goal scoring jockstrap.

Too bad he belongs to Nashville now.

Cactus

Banned
FortunateSon said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this before leaf fans come here and claim Gustavsson is better than Price or Patrick Roy! ;)

You never know.

Gustav is even WORSE than Reimer. God, both our goalie's have been average at best. The only difference, one was call the second coming of christ last season and the other is this season's MONSTER.

MONSTER I TELL YOU.

What do you have against Reimer? He played very well last season, has looked good so far this season... Reimer's save% is 5.3% higher than Gustavsson's. That's pretty significant.

Solo

MPW said:
lol really?

habs went far because Halak was playing f'n amazing + cammy was beastin'

o rly? Well, that covers 14 games. Now tell me how they got into the playoffs both of those years. The team was very solid and played the system immaculately, and the goaltending was great. The team, which is largely the same, now is anything but solid, the systems have gone to hell in a handbasket, and the goaltending is just okay.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
While I'm not ready to put full blame on Martin, pulling Price and putting Enqvist in the dot for the offensive face off is complete bullshit, stuff like that makes me hate him, but his system has worked for us, just need everyone to commit to it and right now it looks like no one gives a fuck. Giant :lol at anyone thinking tonight's play is indicative of the Habs talent and skill, no one besides Price felt like playing, but when everyone commits to the system and plays their part, this team can compete with any team in the league.

Solo

All the calling for Martin's head is useless, like I said. Gauthier won't fire him. So the real person we should all be looking at if things continue to slide is Geoff Molson. Is he serious about trying to win a Cup? Or is one round of playoff revenue all he cares about? He's the one with the power to make changes. Until he exercises it, Gauthier and Martin will remain in place.

Zombie James said:
Too bad he belongs to Nashville now.

Vancouver.

Cactus said:
+Kadri
+Gardiner
+Frattin
-Gustavsson (although he did keep the team in the game until the third)
-Orr & Rosehill (why are these guys still on the team?)
-special teams
-overall defensive game

Overall a mixed bag. Wasn't a terrible effort (despite the score) but far from optimal. Hopefully the team can bounce back on Saturday, because I'm guessing the Habs will probably play their best game of the season after such an embarrassing start.

We did play back to back though so fatigue could be a factor as well. Defensivee game was poor, I mean, 40+ sog for Boston. Gustav has been average, nothing too great. It was a pretty mediocre effort actually...

And Saturday is going to be a tough one as well because we're going to face a very desperate Montreal team and I really hope we win! I just want to see Montreal getting crush and their season woes continue, it will be fun!

Start Reimer! I wish we had a choice to start someone else.

Habs will probably find themselves in 28th place after tonight, but it is only 6 games into the season.

There are reasons to be concerned but at the same time many games left to be played.

Solo

Epic Tales of Penis said:
There are reasons to be concerned but at the same time many games left to be played.

This is very true, but lets not kid ourselves - we have about a 10 game window starting right now to get things turned around. If we're still dicking around by the time we hit the 15 game mark with a record of say 4-10-1, well, the conference is too competitive to make up the necessary ground to make the playoffs.

Crazy as it sounds to say a mere 6 games in, another 6 games might well decide our fate this year.

Cactus said:
What do you have against Reimer? He played very well last season, has looked good so far this season... Reimer's save% is 5.3% higher than Gustavsson's. That's pretty significant.

He played very well last season? Yes. Are we in last season? No. He has potential, has he exploited it yet this season? No. He has been average. Looked good? He has allowed 13 goals in 4 games. That's about 3 goals a game. That's average, not the second coming leafs are portraying him to be since the beginning of this season and it's only going to get worse I assume. Hopefully not though because I want the leafs to succeed.

Just a quick comparison: Leafs have scored 16 gf and Reimer has let in 13 goals. Think about it. It's hilarious when put in perspective. 4 games in.

BOTH our goalies are average. Are leaf fans really expecting the duo of Reimer/Gustavsson to carry us into the playoffs? I'll be glad to be proven wrong but for now, oh god, :(.

Solo said:
This is very true, but lets not kid ourselves - we have about a 10 game window starting right now to get things turned around. If we're still dicking around by the time we hit the 15 game mark with a record of say 4-10-1, well, the conference is too competitive to make up the necessary ground to make the playoffs.

Crazy as it sounds to say a mere 6 games in, another 6 games might well decide our fate this year.
One thing I know for sure is that Saturday night will be a crazy game.

I can just feel it. OT written all over it.

Solo

Why do I read HFBoards? They are calling for Martin to be ousted for PATRICK ROY :lol

That would take what is already a mini disaster and turn it into an apocalypse.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
MPW said:
habs are so shit in faceoffs lol

enqvist (sp) is so shit

letting halpern go was a mistake
Enqvist is fucking awful, Moore shouldn't have been let go and either should have halpern, but Martin is also playing him in shit spots, and having Darche on the PP is fucking laughable. Only players playing with heart this season has been Patches, Eller, Diaz and Pleks. Maybe its a locker room issue, I dunno but this was the Habs playing at their shittiest level.

MPW

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Habs will probably find themselves in 28th place after tonight, but it is only 6 games into the season.

but in this competitive league, it is really bad news

New+Jersey+Devils+v+Carolina+Hurricanes+7u-AhRGQWjSl.jpg

cole is shit without this guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom