• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
brucewaynegretzky said:
That's depressing. That area fills a football stadium every week, right? So pathetic.

The Coyotes should have moved to Winnipeg, not the Thrashers.

Though I did hear rumors that the NHL wants to move the Coyotes to Seattle.

Montresor

Winning on Saturday would be a huge boost for the Leafs, after getting embarrassed on Thursday (I really, really hate Boston, fuck).

Secondary scoring is a massive problem for the Leafs right now. Kessel and Lupul cannot be expected to carry the team and score in every game. We need the second and third lines to step up BIG TIME. Kulemin, Grabovski, Kadri, Frattin, and Lombardi have to start lifting their weight.

Saturday could be bloody. If the Leafs lose then awful questions are going to surface. Will the Leafs slide into a 1-8-3 run just like last year - it will look too familiar. And if the Habs lose that will be one win and six losses to start off the season for Montreal.

Zombie James said:
Seattle doesn't have an arena yet.

I think Quebec's going to have their finished before Seattle, but yeah, I'm going to say straight up that Seattle's going to a team first.

No way Bettman approves two straight relocations to Canadian cities. Seattle is likely number one on his list to get the next team.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Zombie James said:
Seattle doesn't have an arena yet.
And Quebec is going to break ground on their new rink next summer and has a group that wants a team. If the Coyotes hit the open market as reported before, there's really only one destination (because Kansas City has no owner).

Acid08

Banned
SpectreFire said:
I think Quebec's going to have their finished before Seattle, but yeah, I'm going to say straight up that Seattle's going to a team first.

No way Bettman approves two straight relocations to Canadian cities. Seattle is likely number one on his list to get the next team.
You sure Kansas City doesn't need a hockey team? Seems right up Bettmans alley.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Solo said:
Martin has once again put Plekanec on the PP point. lololololololz
CZSUI.gif

That's the only way I can react to anything he does anymore.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
SpectreFire said:

No. Quebec first.

Now that I think about it, I'm feeling good about the game tonight, got myself 5000 + ms points from that one thread, and suddenly I'm feeling optimistic about our chances tonight. :D

CrazedArabMan said:
Now that I think about it, I'm feeling good about the game tonight, got myself 5000 + ms points from that one thread, and suddenly I'm feeling optimistic about our chances tonight. :D
What the fuck? That site was actually legit!?

*checks site*

It's down! FFFFUUUUUUU

Socreges

Banned
CrazedArabMan said:
SHARE.

C Jones

CrazedArabMan said:
Couldn't, I was actually trying to get some for my friends, but a lot of the codes they were giving out were being reused, so I had to use them once I got them. :(
WTF I thought we came first man?

C Jones said:
WTF I thought we came first man?

You're a Pens fan, I just couldn't justify giving free stuff to that type of person. :p

jk, like I said, I had to use them up as I got them unfortunately, I did think about throwing one or two codes in here though for you guys, but alas it was not meant to be.

CrazedArabMan said:
You're a Pens fan, I just couldn't justify giving free stuff to that type of person. :p

jk, like I said, I had to use them up as I got them unfortunately, I did think about throwing one or two codes in here though for you guys, but alas it was not meant to be.
Lidstrom would've figured out a way.

:(

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Malkin participated in his first full practice since the Caps game today. Still no decision on if he'll play tomorrow, but he's definitely improving.

You know who will play tomorrow? Our full, healthy defense. Lovejoy will probably be sent down to WBS and Niskanen and Engelland will be our bottom pair. Before the season started I was a little worried about this, our top 4 are golden but the bottom pair was kinda weak last year. Thankfully Frisky Nisky and Engo really improved their game over the offseason, it's a little incredible how much better they are this year. Niskanen has certainly found his feet and is comfortable here now and Engo has improved in pretty much every category, especially skating. They're both regularly joining the rush, they're fast and all over the place and Engo is turning into a pretty good shutdown guy. Bylsma has been putting both of them out against other teams top lines and they're performing very well. I'm really excited to see our D work tomorrow against NJ.

C Jones

CrazedArabMan said:

:lol it's all good man

I guess that's what I get for not checking the gaming side today.

C Jones said:
:lol it's all good man

I guess that's what I get for not checking the gaming side today.

It was funny, I'm here at the library working on a paper and actually was in a rhythm of getting it done, I finish the paragraph I'm on and decide to just refresh the gaming side just to see if there is anything interesting, low and behold it was the perfect timing as that thread had literally just been created. Now all I need is for the Wings to win to make this a great day.

Manics

Banned
Montresor said:

Saturday could be bloody. If the Leafs lose then awful questions are going to surface. Will the Leafs slide into a 1-8-3 run just like last year - it will look too familiar. And if the Habs lose that will be one win and six losses to start off the season for Montreal.
You speak the truth man. After the Habs the the Leafs have Flyers, Rangers and Pens so that slide is a distinct possibility. Collars will get tight if they lose on Saturday.

If the Habs lose I think Martin is 1-2 more losses away from getting canned. Habs have canned coaches for bad starts before, 1 win in 7 or 8 games could be enough.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Heretic said:
Any time frame on Crosby's return?

No, the teams schedule has been so packed they haven't had a contact practice yet. Their first break with back-to-back days off is this Sunday and Monday, they may work a contact practice in there. Most fans think he'll return on Nov. 11th against Dallas, as that game comes after a 5 day break. That sounds about right to me, he should be back in the lineup a couple weeks after he starts taking hits.

C Jones

CrazedArabMan said:
It was funny, I'm here at the library working on a paper and actually was in a rhythm of getting it done, I finish the paragraph I'm on and decide to just refresh the gaming side just to see if there is anything interesting, low and behold it was the perfect timing as that thread had literally just been created. Now all I need is for the Wings to win to make this a great day.
*checks schedule* congrats on the great day man

Spire I agree with all of that. Engo has really stepped it up. Pretty funny where he was on the Asham goal, considering we had a 2 goal lead at the time but it ended up being a great play. Still getting used to seeing him actually be aggressive offensively but I like what I see so far this season.

Tomorrow should be interesting. I haven't seen the Devils yet this year but I heard they are a lot faster. Having Parise back helps. Hopefully the game doesn't put me to sleep like most Pens/Devil games do as of late.

The Canes have "winnable" games against St Louis and Winnipeg tonight and tomorrow.

Of course, knowing Mo, he'll manage to pull defeat from the jaws of victory in at least one of them.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Manics said:
If the Habs lose I think Martin is 1-2 more losses away from getting canned. Habs have canned coaches for bad starts before, 1 win in 7 or 8 games could be enough.

Not happening, PG and Martin are there to stay, it would take a 1-25-1 record before they think of canning him, similar to Wilson and Burke. Not like there's a lot of viable replacements out there anyways.

Slurmer

Banned
sazabirules said:
I have to say I was impressed by Read from the Flyers yesterday. He seems like a very solid pickup that went undrafted.

Yeah I thought Read played well too, even on his new line. Flyers have a lot of exciting rookies really, even though most would agree they are in a win-now mode.

Congrats again on the win

Manics

Banned
Red_Man said:
Not happening, PG and Martin are there to stay, it would take a 1-25-1 record before they think of canning him, similar to Wilson and Burke. Not like there's a lot of viable replacements out there anyways.
I don't think so. The pressure that would reign down in Montreal from media and fans would force the canning. I don't think he's secure by any means.

Wilson too is a short leash, Burke didn't extend his contract this year in case he has to fire him. If he were really in that good with Burke they'd be talking new contract by now.

Revenant

CrazedArabMan said:

I only got 800 :(

C Jones said:
*checks schedule* congrats on the great day man

Not so fast man, like I said, we can make Columbus and Mason look like All-Stars which we have a habit of doing, plus they'll be hungry to finally get a win, especially against an undefeated team, so I expect a nail biter unfortunately.

Acid08 said:
Joe Thorntons 1000th NHL game tonight as well. Love ya Jumbo <3

Damn I feel old...I remember watching that draft When Boston picked him and Samsonov in the first round. Feels like only a few years back. Already 1000 games.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The Internet said:
Damn I feel old...I remember watching that draft When Boston picked him and Samsonov in the first round. Feels like only a few years back. Already 1000 games.

Hard to believe that they've been in the league for the same amount of time. Feels like Samsonov's been around for forever and a day.

pringles

This feels like the 3rd season premier for the Red Wings.

Guessing they'll be rusty as shit and even though it's Columbus I'm not expecting a win. All is well if they can win against the Caps tomorrow however.

Found this quote on NHL.com about the Wings schedule:
Once their current five-day break is over, the only other time this season they'll go any more than three days without a game is during the All-Star break from Jan. 26-Jan. 30.

Crazy. Sure they're not the only team in the league that has to deal with that kind of stuff but still..

pringles said:
This feels like the 3rd season premier for the Red Wings.

Guessing they'll be rusty as shit and even though it's Columbus I'm not expecting a win. All is well if they can win against the Caps tomorrow however.

Found this quote on NHL.com about the Wings schedule:

Crazy. Sure they're not the only team in the league that has to deal with that kind of stuff but still..

Does anyone know why this happens every year? The Canes always go on the road In October because of the state fair. Are there similar reasons for other teams?

Socreges

Banned
Many teams have 5-day breaks or worse during the season. And other teams have long road trips for exceptional reasons. Every year. I don't think anyone is really immune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom