• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

Socreges said:
So you've been happy with the Canucks play overall up to this game? I'm not sure what your point is, as ever.

My point is you just assumed it wouldn't happen as you're cynical and I the optimist was right :)

EDIT - Eww, Brayden Schenn was a -3. I didn't watch the game, how did he do?

Do the Canucks have a new home goal horn song or something? (Instead of that Green Day one) And why do they have that shitty Leafs home goal song as their home game win song?

Tabris

Puddles said:
Kessel fire sales incoming.

Daniel Sedin is 2 points away. He's gunning for ya Kessel. Actually he probably doesn't know who Kessel is and is assuming there's a legitimate scorer at the top he's competing against. :)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Dastardly Jerks said:
Do the Canucks have a new home goal horn song or something? (Instead of that Green Day one) And why do they have that shitty Leafs home goal song as their home game win song?

Half the teams in the league follow the leafs lead... Kernkraft was annoying enough (leafs used it since the ACC opening)

But now like 5+ teams have the leafs new goal song and growing and it kind of annoys me further that everyone and their dog knows the leafs chose it to try to recreate chicagos atmosphere- leafs are actually doing a lot of "copying" attempting to engage their fans more (by copying I mean putting their own twist on things) it's really obvious because the song or band wasn't even popular... Like... Wtf.

Shit gets annoying

I understand that the leafs are the most profitable, and it's wise business decision to copy what the leader does... But the leafs haven't had the best presentation for years- they ditched their organ and within a heartbeat so did many others (this bothers me still)

I wish the teams would be creative... The last great playoff opening presentation I've seen was Calgary in 2004, when they had navras playing...

NHL teams have jumped off a cliff for the most part and I blame the leafs for that... Their own production values have been tanking and half the league is following them there. When I was at the ACC last night... I was comparing to what the experience was at my first leafs game (in 2003... Yeah I was poor) and its like night and day... From the way they get a cheer out of the fans leading up to the face off (to make the TV presentation look good) to the way pregame is done- it's become so sterile

I remember the old leafs used to have the epic gladiator music for their own time outs and random stuff like that... The way the presentation was done just 10 years ago pumped you up so much... Now it's all meh... Hockey. Random heavy metal, random heavy rap music... Face off.

Yeah... You asked for info and instead got a confusing rant

Socreges

Banned
Tabris said:
My point is you just assumed it wouldn't happen as you're cynical and I the optimist was right :)

EDIT - Eww, Brayden Schenn was a -3. I didn't watch the game, how did he do?
No.

I know to qualify my posts so I don't get caught saying absolutist bs like you, dude.

Anyway nice of the Canucks to put in a good traditional pounding.

Tabris

It looks like Henrik Sedin passed Stan Smyl on the all-time points list. He should be #1 at the end of this season (passing Linden and Naslund). Daniel Sedin will need over a 100 points to pass both of them for #2 which there is a good chance of doing.

Oh and it looks like Luongo should pass McLean for Wins unless Schneider gets a bunch of starts.

Marvie_3

Banned
Mike Works said:
That's not true, only 13 other teams miss the playoffs.
211q51u.jpg

Tabris said:
Daniel Sedin is 2 points away. He's gunning for ya Kessel. Actually he probably doesn't know who Kessel is and is assuming there's a legitimate scorer at the top he's competing against. :)

I hope Kessel takes the Hart this year just so you cry as much as you did when MVPerry took it.

Socreges

Banned
DopeyFish said:
Half the teams in the league follow the leafs lead... Kernkraft was annoying enough (leafs used it since the ACC opening)

But now like 5+ teams have the leafs new goal song and growing and it kind of annoys me further that everyone and their dog knows the leafs chose it to try to recreate chicagos atmosphere- leafs are actually doing a lot of "copying" attempting to engage their fans more (by copying I mean putting their own twist on things) it's really obvious because the song or band wasn't even popular... Like... Wtf.

Shit gets annoying

I understand that the leafs are the most profitable, and it's wise business decision to copy what the leader does... But the leafs haven't had the best presentation for years- they ditched their organ and within a heartbeat so did many others (this bothers me still)

I wish the teams would be creative... The last great playoff opening presentation I've seen was Calgary in 2004, when they had navras playing...

NHL teams have jumped off a cliff for the most part and I blame the leafs for that... Their own production values have been tanking and half the league is following them there. When I was at the ACC last night... I was comparing to what the experience was at my first leafs game (in 2003... Yeah I was poor) and its like night and day... From the way they get a cheer out of the fans leading up to the face off (to make the TV presentation look good) to the way pregame is done- it's become so sterile

I remember the old leafs used to have the epic gladiator music for their own time outs and random stuff like that... The way the presentation was done just 10 years ago pumped you up so much... Now it's all meh... Hockey. Random heavy metal, random heavy rap music... Face off.

Yeah... You asked for info and instead got a confusing rant
Yeesh...

1. It was stolen from an ECHL team
2. Most of the teams that use it began using it in the pre-season. Do you have a list in chronological order?
3. Canucks and Sens selected it because it won a fan poll
4. All trying to imitate Chelsea Dagger
5. What's all this about other teams copying the Leafs?

Puddles

Banned
J-Quick is looking GOOD this season.

Also, something has to give in the Pacific division. Dallas, LA and Anaheim are all looking strong, but you know San Jose isn't going to wallow at the bottom of the pack all year.

Acid08

Banned
Puddles said:
J-Quick is looking GOOD this season.

Also, something has to give in the Pacific division. Dallas, LA and Anaheim are all looking strong, but you know San Jose isn't going to wallow at the bottom of the pack all year.
Last year the Pacific was incredibly strong as well. Dallas barely missed the playoffs and if they had then every team in the division would have made it.

The Sharks are still working on chemistry, the new players aren't making great decisions because, I assume, they don't know the flow of the players and the system the coach is running yet. Handzus is one exception, he has been fucking great so far. Havlat coming back will be very important, Couture is being snuffed out right now because he gets all the attention on that line right now. Who gives a shit about the 4th liner on his wing when the defense can all crowd him? Thornton isn't making good decisions so far, his heart and the effort are there but he's mentally a step behind right now. This will work itself out when these weird 6 and 4 day long breaks stop and they can play together more. Overall I'm not worried at all, they've looked better and better and are getting closer to actually playing like the top team they are.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
alexthekid said:
SEF: I saw that Ekholm played, how was he? minus 1 and 13 min is all i know
i really like him. you can tell he's fired up to play and tries to make a lot happen out there. seems like that tends to get him in trouble occasionally, he had an awful change against phoenix after a long shift and tends to get caught deep in the offensive zone or gets burned trying to make something happen in the neutral zone. once he settles down and gains some more confidence from himself and the coaching staff, he's gonna be good

Solo

I hope so. Right now my disappointment level is as high as its been since the centennial year when we backed into the playoffs with an OT loss and then got swept by Boston.

Alucard

Banned
Seems a bit extreme. You guys are missing players and the team is still feeling itself out. The Habs looked outworked last night. The coach can try to motivate them, but it shouldn't be up to him to make the players actually look like they care on the ice.

Solo

I just want some wins before its too late for the playoffs to be a possibility. We can worry about lynching Martin/Gauthier/Gainey for later. Just win.

EDIT: stop the world, I actually read a good post on HFBoards:

Right now they play a passive 1 - 2 - 2 when they should be playing the opposite. Two forecheckers should be in deep when the opposing team is attempting to break out. They have so much speed up front that they can quickly close the gap up ice if needed.

Wow, this guy gets it.

Solo said:
I just want some wins before its too late for the playoffs to be a possibility. We can worry about lynching Martin/Gauthier/Gainey for later. Just win.

EDIT: stop the world, I actually read a good post on HFBoards:

Wow, this guy gets it.

So basically what you're saying is you want the Laviolette system? I'm not even sure its considered 2-1-2. I think he just tells everyone to skate like hell into the offensive zone.

Hence why Hartnell sticks out like a sore thumb.....

MPW

listening to tsn 990

PG was a professional scout when the gomez trade went down, he gave his approval on the deal

still love PG as habs gm folks?

MPW said:
listening to tsn 990

PG was a professional scout when the gomez trade went down, he gave his approval on the deal

still love PG as habs gm folks?

Gomez has been overrated his entire career. PG was doing the same thing everyone else was doing. Blame the stupid Devils for convincing the world, yet again, that a mediocre player was something special.

/still angry about Gagne Calder snub rant

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Going to put MPW on my ignore list. Shouldn't have to block someone who cheers for the same team, but 99% of his posts consist of Cole, PG and Gomez. Everyone gets it, you don't need to repeat yourself after every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom