• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fallout said:
I think you make these comments more than the people you think make these comments do.

There are remarks of Lidstrom' age right now on NHL.com's home page. Also every time the Wings are in the playoffs, the opposing teams fans always make remarks on the teams age.

Heretic

Socreges said:
Haha nah. Lehtinen was in his crease. Perry gets in close, moves his stick to try and tip the puck and ends up elbowing Lehtinen in the mask. I don't think it was deliberate, but they made the right call.
you think that should have been a penalty too or just incidental contact?

MacAttack

Pulitzer Prize level writing here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=596884

The Bruins are now 7-3-3 against Toronto since they traded Kessel to the Leafs in the fall of 2009 for a package of draft picks.

After the game, Kessel was as silent off the ice as he was on it. On a night he wore an alternate captain's "A" on his sweater, he declined to speak to the media after the game.

Zdeno Chara has enjoyed plenty of success against Kessel since the speedy forward left town. Kessel had just 2 goals and 6 points in his prior 12 games against his former team. Thursday night was just a continuation of earlier impressive performances against one of the League's better snipers.

Meanwhile, Seguin, who scored a goal and added two assists in the win, continues to improve in his second NHL season. The Bruins used the other two draft picks to select forward Jared Knight (second round, 2010) and defenseman Dougie Hamilton (first round, 2011), two highly touted prospects who could become part of the rivalry in the years ahead.

FLEECED.

Alucard

Banned
Pens and Devils tonight. It should be a good test. On a positive note, the Penguins will have their blue line completely healthy for the first time this season. Orpik, Letang, Martin, Michalek, Engelland, and Lovejoy are going to be shoring up the defense and giving power slams to opponents all night.

A Pens/Devils game is usually an interesting thing to see, although it has the potential to be sleepy.

Montresor

MacAttack said:
Pulitzer Prize level writing here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=596884

FLEECED.

I'm not _too_ concerned. That awful night on Thursday has crushed me, but you've gotta give up quality to get quality (even though at the time of the trade, Burke assumed the quality given up would be much less than today). And regardless of Kessel's performance on Thursday, the kid is leading the league in points and tied for the league lead in goals. He carried the Leafs on his back all by his lonesome for the first five games of the season.

Of course I'll wait a dozen or so more games before I can really comfortably say "Thanks for Kessel," but I think it's equally premature to act like the kid is junk after one bad performance in Boston this season.

MacAttack

I'm not _too_ concerned. That awful night on Thursday has crushed me, but you've gotta give up quality to get quality (even though at the time of the trade, Burke assumed the quality given up would be much less than today). And regardless of Kessel's performance on Thursday, the kid is leading the league in points and tied for the league lead in goals. He carried the Leafs on his back all by his lonesome for the first five games of the season.

Of course I'll wait a dozen or so more games before I can really comfortably say "Thanks for Kessel," but I think it's equally premature to act like the kid is junk after one bad performance in Boston this season.
Today 10:19 AM

Kessel will be fine and end up scoring his usual 30-40 goals, I wouldn't take anything out of that game. Chara and Bergeron did a good job shutting down Kessel because they are familiar with him and really focused on stopping him.

Even a loss tonight wouldn't be anything to get worked up over given how desperate Montreal is for a win, especially at home.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I have a few bets going with one of my buddies in regards to Seguin. He can get pretty dumb sometimes when it comes to anything drastic with the Leafs.

He bet me Seguin will NEVER score 20 goals in a season in his entire career. I expect to cash in within the next 2-3 years. :D

MacAttack

Kave_Man said:
I have a few bets going with one of my buddies in regards to Seguin. He can get pretty dumb sometimes when it comes to anything drastic with the Leafs.

He bet me Seguin will NEVER score 20 goals in a season in his entire career. I expect to cash in within the next 2-3 years. :D

Unless he suffers an injury this season, I see you getting paid this year. Seguin has been the best offensive player on the Bruins by a pretty good margin and has had a lot of good chances.

Kave_Man said:

You will cash in at the end of this season.

tumblr_lte7dlqvbj1qgldly.gif

pringles

I'm seriously hyped about Wings-Caps tonight.. the two undefeated teams both fighting to keep the streak alive.

Little worried about Conklin being in net for Detroit though. He had a shutout in his last game but that wasn't against Ovechkin, Backstrom and Semin. But our defense has been solid and in the past they've been good at neutralizing Ovechkin.

Gonna be a good one.

pringles said:
I'm seriously hyped about Wings-Caps tonight.. the two undefeated teams both fighting to keep the streak alive.

Little worried about Conklin being in net for Detroit though. He had a shutout in his last game but that wasn't against Ovechkin, Backstrom and Semin. But our defense has been solid and in the past they've been good at neutralizing Ovechkin.

Gonna be a good one.
Caps third line has been their best line.

Chimera-Laich-Ward

I have a strong feeling we won't win tonights game agst the Kings..

Because we will have Raycroft in net :(

Oh and Quick has been as godlike as Lehtonen. And we are coming off a B2B .. blargh

jacket320

Rafa=FedKilla said:
We're gonna win the Cup this year at the salary floor.

Hahah

Avery's finally off the payroll, so I guess I need a new avatar. I haven't been able to post/read much but still follow the thread everyday. Hoping to go to a few games in Dec.

By the way.. Tom Gaglardi from Vancouver owning the Dallas Stars is more and more likely after this week.

Apparently Chuck Greenberg and Doug Miller are not going to bid for the Stars which leaves Gaglardi's 267 million dollar bid as the front runner.

Courts may just ignore the auction process and go forth with him buying out the team.. which would mean that we would finally have a new owner by December.

Solo

Gomez out for at least a week. Time for Eller to step up.

Spacek is back tonight and Weber is sitting. The fuck, Martin? Weber has been probably our second best D-man behind Gorges. Why are they trying so hard to break his spirit? All he has done is played well at both forward and D consistently.

MPW

Solo said:

Spacek is back tonight and Weber is sitting. The fuck, Martin? Weber has been probably our second best D-man behind Gorges. Why are they trying so hard to break his spirit? All he has done is played well at both forward and D consistently.

weber = our new mark streit, dude gets no respect :(

i would say diaz has been our second best d-man, weber a close third

Solo

Diaz has neen excellent for a rookie. Its funny you would mention Streit, because thats the player I see Diaz becoming.

Spl1nter

SuperSonic1305 said:
Quite a bit of spin considering they lost to the Leafs 4 times last season.

You mean how 7-3-3 equates to the series since the trade being 6-6 before Thursdays game? Real lopsided.

I was fine with Kessel not scoring on thursday for two reasons: one, he was tired and looked it; he played 23+ mins the night before and it was the 3rd game in 4 days; two, he was centered by Steckel.

We do however need a big game from the boys tonight and I expect exactly that.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
lupinko said:
I'm just going to take Thursday as a writeoff (second game in two nights/Gustavsson/focus on stopping Kessel/etc).

I'd say leave the Monster out of that. I didn't see the game but from what I read and heard basically he did the best he could facing 40+ shots on goal. Apparently they were still "in it" until the third?

Kave_Man said:
I'd say leave the Monster out of that. I didn't see the game but from what I read and heard basically he did the best he could facing 40+ shots on goal. Apparently they were still "in it" until the third?

Yeah, the majority of the goals were the result of defensive collapses. The team did not play well in front of him.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I have a strong feeling we won't win tonights game agst the Kings..

Because we will have Raycroft in net :(

Oh and Quick has been as godlike as Lehtonen. And we are coming off a B2B .. blargh
i don't know brah, what if Raycroft plays just as well?

Simon Belmont said:
Yeah, the majority of the goals were the result of defensive collapses. The team did not play well in front of him.

That's usually the way it's been for the past three years, and that's really my number one problem with the Leafs under Ron Wilson. No mater how much they've improved in terms of players on the ice, when they lose it's the same old script.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Solo said:

Thought I read Spacek was out for tonight? Surprise they'd move Weber, none of the D has been particularly bad besides Subban.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Alucard said:
Pens and Devils tonight. It should be a good test. On a positive note, the Penguins will have their blue line completely healthy for the first time this season. Orpik, Letang, Martin, Michalek, Engelland, and Lovejoy are going to be shoring up the defense and giving power slams to opponents all night.

A Pens/Devils game is usually an interesting thing to see, although it has the potential to be sleepy.

Was Niskanen the odd man out on our D? The only thing I can find is that Bylsma said it would be a gametime decision who go the nod on our defense.

Also Malkin is out again tonight. I think they're just playing it safe and he'll be back after the little break we get tomorrow and Monday.

Also tonights game could be interesting, both the Pens and Devils are pretty fast this year. NJ is pretty good from what I hear so I'm not expecting an easy win.

Zombie James said:
That's usually the way it's been for the past three years, and that's really my number one problem with the Leafs under Ron Wilson. No mater how much they've improved in terms of players on the ice, when they lose it's the same old script.

It's been a miserable three years.

Red_Man

Markovs picture has been replaced on the bell centre by cammys and this whole Florida trip of his and leaving on the home opener is making me nervous doesn't seem like things you would do if you were good with the organization.

MPW

Red_Man said:
Markovs picture has been replaced on the bell centre by cammys and this whole Florida trip of his and leaving on the home opener is making me nervous doesn't seem like things you would do if you were good with the organization.

I love Andre Markov, but two years of uncertainty was enough. They should have kept Wisnewski, who puts up similar numbers, and is 5 years younger, and is healthy. Gauthier has bet the farm, and lost.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/gameday/whats_wrong_with_the_montreal_canadiens.html

Red_Man

MPW said:
I love Andre Markov, but two years of uncertainty was enough. They should have kept Wisnewski, who puts up similar numbers, and is 5 years younger, and is healthy. Gauthier has bet the farm, and lost.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/gameday/whats_wrong_with_the_montreal_canadiens.html
When he's healthy Markov is a top 10-15 d man wiz isn't and I'm not concerned about his health more his attitude and relationship with PG having a vet like him skip the home opener seems very unusal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom