• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty average game by both the Leafs and Habs. It was nice to see Lombardi play a full game and score, and Steckel acquitted himself fairly well. Other than that, I wouldn't say there's much to be excited about in a negative or positive sense for either team.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Can ANYONE catch up to the Leafs in the Northeast?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I didn't watch the Philly/Boston game, what was the story there? Did the Bruins just look tired? Bryz beastin'?

Manics

Banned
I missed the first period cause I had to take my daughter skating but saw from the 2nd onwards. I fucking totally forgot Cole was on the Habs cause I never heard his name until late in the 3rd LOL. He loves playing for Canadian teams.

Slurmer

Banned
Spire said:
I didn't watch the Philly/Boston game, what was the story there? Did the Bruins just look tired? Bryz beastin'?

Boston came out hot, Philly got better towards the end of the first and got two quick goals. Philly carried the play in the 2nd, Boston turned it back on towards the end of the third, but couldn't bury anything with Bryz/Kimo Timonen in net.

Giroux - Jagr have really good chemistry right now
Tim Thomas is still really good, and robbed JVR in the third.
Pronger doesn't look ready

Manics said:
I missed the first period cause I had to take my daughter skating but saw from the 2nd onwards. I fucking totally forgot Cole was on the Habs cause I never heard his name until late in the 3rd LOL. He loves playing for Canadian teams.

Oh, he dodged a Rosehill hit in the 1st. That was about the extent of his involvement in that part of the game.

That missed hit prompted a Cherry piece which convinced this fairweather Cherry supporter to recommend his retirement. His point was - I think - that Shanabans are removing the 'good' physical contact from the game. And you know, by itself, there is an argument to be had about that. However, he then goes to show a Scott effing Stevens montage of headshots, including the one that virtually killed Lindros's career, as examples of what 'we'll never seen again in the NHL'. The whole thing was just sad.

MacAttack

Spire said:

Bruins dominated most of the first but towards the end looked tired and gave up two goals in the last minute. I missed most of the second but philly outshot the Bruins by a large margin. In the third the Bruins had chances to tie it but Philly clamped down and Bryz shined. Good game overall would have liked to see a W but will settle for one on Saturday vs Tampa.

Solo

bonesmccoy said:
Pretty average game by both the Leafs and Habs. It was nice to see Lombardi play a full game and score, and Steckel acquitted himself fairly well. Other than that, I wouldn't say there's much to be excited about in a negative or positive sense for either team.

Well, the Habs really played like shit. Special teams were horrendous and we just weren't playing the Martin system impeccably like we usually do. Thankfully, these things can be remedied. The bigger concern is (once again *sigh*) injuries on D.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
PLAN THE PARADE!!!! LOLOLOLLOLLOLLOL

I'm happy they won, but I hope they don't keep getting outplayed like they did.

Steckel had a great game. Phaneuf hopefully is back to his older Calgary days. Reimer was solid. Surprised Franson was scratched.

cheddar

Neo Member
Good job by the Flyers, we really picked up our defensive game after the first period. Couturier could be one of the elite defensive centers of the game one day. And Giroux is just god-like at this point, he looks faster than he was last year.

Jagr was very slow but still has all the talent and commitment. Read was battling pretty well, though he had his mistakes. I'm very happy with most of the performances.

Solo said:
Well, the Habs really played like shit. Special teams were horrendous and we just weren't playing the Martin system impeccably like we usually do. Thankfully, these things can be remedied. The bigger concern is (once again *sigh*) injuries on D.
Apparently Mario Tremblay said the key to the game was the big Leafs D hammering the small Habs forwards.

Solo

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Apparently Mario Tremblay said the key to the game was the big Leafs D hammering the small Habs forwards.

I dunno. That has been the case for most of the past two seasons and yet we still played very well and won. There was a very large disconnect between what the team have been practicing/trying to implement and the actual execution tonight.

Bah, time for bed.

Habs can't score. Surprise!

Really great game by the Leafs, first period aside. Good speed, Reimer was great, and Steckel... can't believe Leafs only got him for a 4th rounder.

Slurmer

Banned
TheFatOne said:
Missed the Bruins game. How did Seguin and Horton looks?

Both looked good, Seguin moreso. But Seguin whiffed on an open net, and Horton couldn't lift the puck on a wide-open net (was saved by the defenseman's stick)

I can't watch the Canucks game since I'm on a bus right now (posting from iphone), but I'd just like to say that Pittsburgh is probably going to win tonight:

The 2 Stanley Cup finalists losing + the Leafs getting a shutout just has to happen. Bizzaro NHL!

MacAttack

TheFatOne said:
Missed the Bruins game. How did Seguin and Horton look?

Seguin had one of the better performances for the Bruins. Had a few scoring chances and looked like he was skating hard all night. Unless Peverley shows some chemistry with Marchand and Bergeron, Seguin should get a shot on the second line by mid-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom