• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erdrick

Socreges said:
Question for Jets fans from Winnipeg:

Would it be fair to say that part of the reason for the reaction of the Jets returning because of the return of relevance to Winnipeg on the national (and North American) stage? It would be sub-conscious and immeasurable, but something you could comment on.

I think so that's a fair assessment. It's nice to be talked about and we sure as hell have gotten a lot of attention since the team from Atlanta came here. The NHL was (and is again) our single world class-professional sport team here and it's something that we as hockey fans have not had here in so long. That first winter here without the Jets in the fall of 96 was... so empty and lifeless. Sure, we had the Moose, but it literally was not even in the same league. While some were able to adjust or appreciate it, I grew up with the Jets and it was a poor substitute for the real thing. I myself, drifted to the Red Wings when we lost our team, but even that was not even close. They were never *my* team like the Jets were.

Now though... it's been like Xmas eve ever since they were officially announced and the entire city has been building and building towards a great... well, every sport fan in this city is insanely hyped for this. I can once again go see a NHL game in my city. I've not been able to say that in ages. Part of our identity was lost in 95/96 and we have begun to forge a new one again with this new team. There is a party going on near downtown right now that is estimated to have about 75 000 people out and about in celebration of the new NHL season with bands and other attractions going on. People have wanted and waited and prayed for this day to come, and it's just about here. I know myself, it still feels surreal and like a dream that I never expected ever to happen again. Hockey is THE sport here, and we will NEVER let it go again. NEVER.

The players here are treated like celebrities and will continue to receive praise even if their play on ice is less than spectacular. They will be loved simply for the fact as to what they represent: NHL Hockey is back in our city. I can't speak for everyone else from Winnipeg, but I grew up playing hockey either on ice or outside on the street/driveway/field in -30 or more temps in January. Hockey speaks to me like Soccer/Football speaks
to the rest of the world outside of North America. The Jets will be our representatives to the rest of the world and we will take every ounce of pride in them and then some. I'm going to buy my new Jets jersey and wear it proudly anywhere I go.

The Jets represent our city growing and evolving into a more relevant place amongst the world. Not a quantum leap, but still very, VERY significant and important. I cannot stress enough the economic and social benefit that this team has had, and will have on our city for the years to come.

In the meantime, I will watch every single game with scrutiny and care. See how the players react, change and form to the situations that will arrive.

Just like I did growing up with their namesakes in the 80's and 90's. =)

Erdrick said:
I think so that's a fair assessment. It's nice to be talked about and we sure as hell have gotten a lot of attention since the team from Atlanta came here. The NHL was (and is again) our single world class-professional sport team here and it's something that we as hockey fans have not had here in so long. That first winter here without the Jets in the fall of 96 was... so empty and lifeless. Sure, we had the Moose, but it literally was not even in the same league. While some were able to adjust or appreciate it, I grew up with the Jets and it was a poor substitute for the real thing. I myself, drifted to the Red Wings when we lost our team, but even that was not even close. They were never *my* team like the Jets were.

Now though... it's been like Xmas eve ever since they were officially announced and the entire city has been building and building towards a great... well, every sport fan in this city is insanely hyped for this. I can once again go see a NHL game in my city. I've not been able to say that in ages. Part of our identity was lost in 95/96 and we have begun to forge a new one again with this new team. There is a party going on near downtown right now that is estimated to have about 75 000 people out and about in celebration of the new NHL season with bands and other attractions going on. People have wanted and waited and prayed for this day to come, and it's just about here. I know myself, it still feels surreal and like a dream that I never expected ever to happen again. Hockey is THE sport here, and we will NEVER let it go again. NEVER.

The players here are treated like celebrities and will continue to receive praise even if their play on ice is less than spectacular. They will be loved simply for the fact as to what they represent: NHL Hockey is back in our city. I can't speak for everyone else from Winnipeg, but I grew up playing hockey either on ice or outside on the street/driveway/field in -30 or more temps in January. Hockey speaks to me like Soccer/Football speaks
to the rest of the world outside of North America. The Jets will be our representatives to the rest of the world and we will take every ounce of pride in them and then some. I'm going to buy my new Jets jersey and wear it proudly anywhere I go.

The Jets represent our city growing and evolving into a more relevant place amongst the world. Not a quantum leap, but still very, VERY significant and important. I cannot stress enough the economic and social benefit that this team has had, and will have on our city for the years to come.

In the meantime, I will watch every single game with scrutiny and care. See how the players react, change and form to the situations that will arrive.

Just like I did growing up with their namesakes in the 80's and 90's. =)
/Socreges alt

MacAttack

Oh, Horton! What a chance!

B's not cashing in on some really good chances.

edit FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Seguin blows an empty netter.

Brinbe

Wooo, Leafs win. Reimer Shut-out. =)

Still the first game, obviously, but definitely looks to be an improved team. And nice to see guys like Lombardi and Steckel immediately show up as important contributors. Also, I felt confident that they'd close it out and didn't feel the same trepidation from previous years that they'd find a way to lose the game.

snack

R2ZfD.jpg

GO CANUCKS!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Manics said:
Reimer is such a nice guy I think even Habs fans are happy for him.

The dude is like a baby Tim Thomas... I mean in terms of how cool and happy he always is

Remember all the shit talking you guys did about how the Habs were going to destroy us? Couldn't even beat us when we were missing 3 forwards.

4h618.gif

Solo

No urgency until the final minute. I hope JM runs these guys ragged in practice between now and Sunday.

Manics

Banned
What a pickup by Double B getting Steckel. Truly like finding a diamond in the rough.

No Conolly
No MacArthur
No Kadri

/depth

Socreges

Banned
Erdrick, that was awesome to read. Apart from the whole poorly thought out Wings fan phase. A 15-year long drunken stupor would be the only acceptable excuse.

Solo

CrazedArabMan said:
So is Solo going to tear this thread apart like he said?

Nah, I'll let the Leafs fans have thier moment. We're already seeing the early stages of boundless optimism. I'll let them bask in that for a few games until the league drops a Cleveland steamer on their collective chests.

Solo said:
Nah, I'll let the Leafs fans have thier moment. We're already seeing the early stages of boundless optimism. I'll let them bask in that for a few games until the league drops a Cleveland steamer on their collective chests.
Where's the only objective Habs fan of the lot.

MPW...your thoughts on tonight's game?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Terrible game from everyone except price, especially subban really disappointed in him I'm not really sure why there seemed to be lacking any chemistry or click. Oh well at least hockey's here, work on that PP and bring on the Jets.

X26

Banned
if being shutout by the leafs in the season opener doesn't light a fire under their ass for the next game I'm going to be worried

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom