• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvie_3

Banned
soultron said:
Watching the Leafs game tonight, like my usual casual-hockey-fan self, I decided that I need to get to know the game better. I still can't tell the difference between a lot of penalty calls (unless it's something obvious like tripping) before the announcer chimes in. I'm ashamed to admit that I still don't know the proper rules behind offsides and icing in hockey.

I'm a soccer person.

Help me NHL-GAF. I've been watching -- whilst not fully understanding -- for my entire young life.

I need books or videos.
Makes sense. Watching Leafs games will only teach you how NOT to play hockey.

soultron said:
Watching the Leafs game tonight, like my usual casual-hockey-fan self, I decided that I need to get to know the game better. I still can't tell the difference between a lot of penalty calls (unless it's something obvious like tripping) before the announcer chimes in. I'm ashamed to admit that I still don't know the proper rules behind offsides and icing in hockey.

I'm a soccer person.

Help me NHL-GAF. I've been watching -- whilst not fully understanding -- for my entire young life.

I need books or videos.

You can read/download the entire rulebook here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=27011

Solo

soultron said:

I'm a soccer person.

I need books or videos.

Offside = offensive player crosses opposing team's blue line before the puck does and touches the puck
Icing = player dumps the puck into the opposing team's end (it must cross the red line) before crossing centre ice

soultron

Banned
Zombie James said:
You can read/download the entire rulebook here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=27011

Many thanks.

Solo said:
Offside = offensive player crosses opposing team's blue line before the puck does and touches the puck
Icing = player dumps the puck into the opposing team's end (it must cross the red line) before crossing centre ice

The offside rule is strange for a soccer person like myself, since it's not directly dependent on defensive positioning. That clears it up though, thank you.

Next I will look into thinks like where the face-off goes after each and every stoppage of play.

Thanks dudes.

EDIT: So Icing only occurs when a player dumps it from their anywhere in their defensive zone, correct? It's not dependent on being behind their net or anything like that?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
soultron said:

I'm a soccer person.

I need books or videos.

Penalties are almost all obvious

Charging - someone takes 3 strides or goes full speed into another player
Roughing is just well.. Roughing up another player
Instigator is when a player forces another into a fight (not mutually agreed fight)
Hooking, is literally hooking someone with the stick
High sticking is hitting someone in the face with a stick(you get 2 penalties (double minor) if blood is drawn)
Boarding is basically a nasty hit when a player is thrown into the boards (usually from a couple feet out)
Delay of game can mean the following:
-grabbing the puck and throwing it
-goalie intentionally freezing the puck with no opposing players around
-player shooting the puck clear over the glass in their own zone without hitting anything first
-goalie handling the puck in the corners
-if two players of the same team were thrown out of a face off (on the same face off)
Spearing (rare penalty) is when someone jabs the other with their stick
Slashing is either a violent swing at a player or a swing which breaks the stick (either player)
Hit against the head... Any hit where the shoulder or elbow hits the head as the main point of contact (I would assume they won't call elbowing anymore at this point)
Interference is holding back or hitting a player without the puck
Holding is... Well holding the player
Intent to injure (auto 5 minute major and game suspension I think)
Game misconduct/10 minute misconduct and 20 minute misconduct are just "get out of the game" penalties
A major penalty the player has to serve the whole time... When a goal is scored they don't leave the box, while a minor they leave the box as soon as someone scores (hence the term 2 minutes or less)
A double minor is two minors back to back, if the team scores in the first 2 minutes, the penalty time resets to 2 minutes (that would be the remaining 2nd minor)
If a goalie throws their equipment at a player on a breakaway, it's an automatic goal (rare)
If a player throws theirs equipment at another while on a breakaway, it's a penalty shot (rare)
If a player puts their glove on the puck in their own crease, a penalty shot will be called against them (rare)
If someone holds back a player from behind or trip them without touching the puck enough that a good scoring chance can occur, a penalty shot will be called (this is the one time it's legal to trip someone)

Solo

I have a good feeling about tomorrow. People have been saying that there is no way the Habs can win that game, but I think the combination of laying a complete goose egg on opening night (and the hellish practice Martin hopefully put the team through) and the huge amount of pressure the Jets players will no doubt be feeling (to secure a win for the fans who have been waiting 15 years) leaves a lot of opportunity to steal that one.

Solo

soultron said:
The offside rule is strange for a soccer person like myself, since it's not directly dependent on defensive positioning.

Yeah, it has no bearing on the defense whatsoever.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
wow, what the fuck, I nearly had a heart attack!

Lots of panicking from the Leafs and some bonehead plays.

I hope they use this as a learning lesson.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm watching a bit of the Blue / preds game ( I fucking love centerice) and goddamn Rinne is exactly where he left off, my favourite goalie after Price, and Lunqvist, I've seen 3 amazing saves and only watched 10 mins of the game.

soultron

Banned
DopeyFish said:
Penalties are almost all obvious
I get tunnel vision when I watch and tend to only follow exactly where this puck is, if you understand what I mean. I guess all of you guys use the entirety of the screen when you watch, as weird as that sounds. Quick angle changes also obscure my immediate interpretation of calls.

I'm very oblivious when it comes to understanding what I'm watching in hockey. I'm not ashamed to admit that at all.

soultron

Banned
X26 said:
yea if you can understand offside in soccer hockey rules as a whole are easy to get
It's funny that I never really factored the blue line into things. It's not just for decoration, eh? Haha.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
soultron said:
I get tunnel vision when I watch and tend to only follow exactly where this puck is, if you understand what I mean. I guess all of you guys use the entirety of the screen when you watch, as weird as that sounds. Quick angle changes also obscure my immediate interpretation of calls.

I'm very oblivious when it comes to understanding what I'm watching in hockey. I'm not ashamed to admit that at all.

You'll understand eventually... You keep an eye on the puck but also pay attention to what other players are doing...

It's pretty straight forward when you get the basics down

SuperSonic1305 said:
I would have expected this in the first game as Leafs/Habs is usually high scoring back and forth but WTF man

S8SVF.jpg

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
thats a big 2 (ugly) wins over divisional opponents. blues are going to be nasty this year. little weak on d, but their top 2 lines are just disgustingly fast. will be even nastier when they get perron back

Acid08

Banned
Red_Man said:
I must have missed this, but where did Niemi go for the sharks?
Had a cyst removed near his knee. Should be ready next game it sounds like.

Handzus is looking like a beast out there.

Marvie_3

Banned
Acid08 said:

He is pretty ugly, isn't he....

Solid win for the 'Hawks tonight. Bring on the Jets!

MacAttack

ZeroGravity said:
No fight in the Lightning at all tonight. Haven't been this disappointed in a regular season loss in some time.

You guys had your backup goalie on the back end of a double header and he held his own until the team in front of him started to break down. If it wasn't for some big Thomas saves the game would have been much closer. Tampa has a tough schedule early but that means more home games down the stretch. I would not be suprised to see them in the ECF again.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Acid08 said:

Gotchya, I'm checking out the sharks game for my pool and saw Griess in net and some backup on bench, and thought I missed a niemi trade, or he went to europe :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom