• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPW

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Looks like the Leafs and Canucks will be the only good Canadian teams this season.

lol not so fast

leafs started off great last season as well only to not make playoffs

lol @ fleury

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Well it got interesting near the end. The Flames couldn't find any consistency, if they get something going they can be dangerous but it just never happened.

Malkin is looking better, although still a bit too psyched up. Loving what I'm seeing out of our PP and PK.

purg3

slept with Malkin
2-0 with both wins on the road to start the season, not too shabby. Although, the pens ability to maintain a lead does worry me. Need to lock that shit down.

MPW said:
lol not so fast

leafs started off great last season as well only to not make playoffs

lol @ fleury
Leafs will soon be adding Connolly, Kadri and MacArthur.

That's like adding 3 UFAs.

So not fair when you consider the crazy current depth.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Looks like the Leafs and Canucks will be the only good Canadian teams this season.
Reimer let in 5 goals in 1 period against fucking Ottawa, I'd be a little apprehensive about his future performances if I was a leaf fan right now.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
purg3 said:
2-0 with both wins on the road to start the season, not too shabby. Although, the pens ability to maintain a lead does worry me. Need to lock that shit down.

We should win tomorrow's game against the Oilers too. Our first loss will probably be at home. :(

Good win by the Sharks tonight. Hard to believe that so many players are new and yet they played so well together. Still need some work on that penalty kill though. Here's to the beginning of a good season.

MPW

*check stubhub*

Winnipeg vs Montreal .... 0 tickets left!

habs will get destroyed if they play like periods 2 and 3 vs leafs

Acid08

Banned
Good way to start the season. Things are meshing well which is great. Still things to improve upon of course but the team looks exciting. Burns and Handzus look great. Hope Havlat can be great too.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Habs need to get their shit together and play like they want it. Can't stand the fucking Leafs winning, what with my annoying as hell brother thinking "this is our year baby!!"

MPW

Wendel Clark said:
this is our year baby!!

funnypic195.gif

Leafs won tonight because Ottawa let them. An ECHL team could have capitalized on those giveaways. I wouldn't celebrate or make bold predictions as fan of either team right now.

Yeah they totally let up in the 3rd period but this is where the almighty James Reimer was to supposed to show us why he's one of the greatest goalies in the NHL. Instead he got lit up for 5 goals.

Either the Leafs aren't as good as they say or Ottawa isn't as bad as they say.

Toronto is an average/bubble playoff team with no cap space. It will be amusing to watch as a good chunk of their team hits UFA within 2 years.

Only 2 games in so it's way early but that's how I see it right now.

X26

Banned
Yea I tend to give it 5 games before making any sort of serious analysis

Until then, though: HASTILY PLANNED PANIC AND DOOM OMFG HABS SHOULD RELOCATE ALL CAPS WTF

X26

Banned
Socreges said:
Leafs started 4-1 last season.

~15 games is where I begin to really take the standings kinda seriously.

Well I'm certainly not waiting 2 months to start shitting on teams (including my own)

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
X26 said:
Yea I tend to give it 5 games before making any sort of serious analysis

Until then, though: HASTILY PLANNED PANIC AND DOOM OMFG HABS SHOULD RELOCATE ALL CAPS WTF
Will never happen. I know you mean this as a joke, but I can't see any scenario where the Habs ever get relocated out of Montreal.

snack

KernelPanic said:
Leafs won tonight because Ottawa let them. An ECHL team could have capitalized on those giveaways. I wouldn't celebrate or make bold predictions as fan of either team right now.

Yeah they totally let up in the 3rd period but this is where the almighty James Reimer was to supposed to show us why he's one of the greatest goalies in the NHL. Instead he got lit up for 5 goals.

Toronto is an average/bubble playoff team with no cap space. It will be amusing to watch as a good chunk of their team hits UFA within 2 years.

The Leafs have nothing to be proud of. Ottawa is in full rebuild mode and they almost blew a 5-1 lead in 10 minutes.

Solo

Erdrick said:
If the Habs play *anything* like they did against the Leafs, they're gonna get destroyed. Not saying they will be, but they better step up if they want to come into our place and win. We're going to do our part and make sure this team knows what it feels like to have proper support behind them this time.

If nothing else, Jacques Martin has always proven capable of making all the required adjustments. I expect to see a typical Habs-of-2009-2011 game today - good special teams, using our speed to our advantage, great team defensive play and timely goals.

I'm not taking anything away from the Leafs, because they greatly outplayed us for thwo periods of the game, but Martin was wrong in waiting until the final pre-season game to make his cuts. The team on the ice in Game 1 had no chemistry and looked lost out there.

Manics

Banned
Dastardly Jerks said:
This is so cute. Leafs and Sens fans both thought their respective teams were playing NHL-level hockey tonight.

nawwwww
A win is a win. This early in the season you'll see crappy stretches of play from any team in the league not just Leafs or Sens.

My head is hurting.

FOOTE

Hopefully I wont see Nikitin anymore this season. Never liked him(besides his N64 nickname that some people use for him) He's lousy, and I noticed his (awful) presence on two of Nashville's goals last night.

Dress Huskins, and keep Nikitin as a backup for injuries.

Flyers look great so far this year. I know it was only an AHL team they beat last night but a win is a win. Bryz looks so good, the Flyers did not get goaltending this good at any point last year.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
FOOTE said:
Hopefully I wont see Nikitin anymore this season. Never liked him(besides his N64 nickname that some people use for him) He's lousy, and I noticed his (awful) presence on two of Nashville's goals last night.

Dress Huskins, and keep Nikitin as a backup for injuries.
if the blues can make a move to get some D depth, they're going to be damn good this year. Preds (Pekka) stole that game last night

KernelPanic said:
Yeah they totally let up in the 3rd period but this is where the almighty James Reimer was to supposed to show us why he's one of the greatest goalies in the NHL.

Reimer is a 2nd year goalie. If he manages to improve on his record from last year it's an improvement. Don't be all Canucks fan about this. Not to mention it's just the 2nd game of the season...

And of course Ottawa certainly isn't as bad as they're saying. This is still a team that boasts a solid goalie in Anderson, and veteran talent Alfredsson, Spezza, Michalek, Kuba and Gonchar. Any team that can put guys of that level into their line-up is going to score (and concede) a lot of goals.

Erdrick

Solo said:
If nothing else, Jacques Martin has always proven capable of making all the required adjustments. I expect to see a typical Habs-of-2009-2011 game today - good special teams, using our speed to our advantage, great team defensive play and timely goals.

I'm not taking anything away from the Leafs, because they greatly outplayed us for thwo periods of the game, but Martin was wrong in waiting until the final pre-season game to make his cuts. The team on the ice in Game 1 had no chemistry and looked lost out there.

That's one thing that the Jets need to work on. Special Teams. Their PK has not looked too bad, but the PP has been so... disorganized from the pre-season games that I saw, for the most part. I'm sure they will gel more as they continue to play together but some of the PP's I saw hardly looked like what they were supposed to be.

I expect lots of hits and shots from the blueline from our guys. Keep an eye on Mark Sheifele, the rookie kid who was our first pick for this current franchise. He's been really impressive for a rookie in everything I've seen him in so far. Obviously made rookie mistakes, but he can handle the puck just beautifully.

Only some 6 more hours to go...

What will be the latest Solo excuse when the Habs lose today?:

A) Cole needs more time to mesh on top line.
B) Martin needs to adjust or do this or that.
C) Just wait until Eller gets back!
D) Just wait until Markov finds a knee!
E) ?

X26

Banned
Joke all you want, but Eller could very well have a breakout year and carry the team on his nearly translucent danish shoulders all the way to the top

FOOTE

sefskillz said:
if the blues can make a move to get some D depth, they're going to be damn good this year. Preds (Pekka) stole that game last night
Yeah, I'm not really worried just disappointed I guess. Besides, the Preds played some good hockey last night. Rinne is damn good(not a secret anymore lol)

Manics

Banned
X26 said:
Joke all you want, but Eller could very well have a breakout year and carry the team on his nearly translucent danish shoulders all the way to the top
When Eller flops this year it'll be the built in excuse of the shoulder surgery affecting his off season

calder

5 hours to go. :D

Two of my brothers got tickets for the opener, one paid about 4x face value for the upper balcony and the other refuses to say how much he paid lol. Not sure where I'm going to go watch the game.

Cactus

Banned
KernelPanic said:

It's called cap management. If you really think that all of those players will (a) still be on the team in two years and (b) are all definite candidates to be re-signed than you're misinformed.

If everything goes right and the younger guys step up this season and next (already happening with Kadri/Frattin), it'll be in the best interest of the team to let some of those guys walk. Not only would we be replacing them with cheaper, younger options, but we can allocate the extra funds to important re-signings and possibly trades/free agents.

As for Reimer, he's had 5 shutout periods and 1 stinker. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially since he managed to keep the puck out of the net whenever Ottawa was one goal behind. The team as a whole let up when it was 5-1 and paid the price, which I'm hoping will be a learning experience moving forward.

MPW

Betts sent back to Philly - Failed Physical, Team 990

WTF ... so now Enqvist gets the spot, a player that doesn't hit, doesn't win face-off's, doesn't score.

fuck we just couldn't keep halpern now could we, PG?

Manics

Banned
MPW said:

WTF ... so now Enqvist gets the spot, a player that doesn't hit, doesn't win face-off's, doesn't score.

Penis told you guys he had a bum shoulder. Fuck even PG's panic moves backfire LOL

MPW said:

Fans like Solo laughed when I told them he had a bum shoulder.

Why do you think he was put on waivers to begin with?!?!????!!

Slurmer

Banned
Fans like Solo laughed when I told them he had a bum shoulder.

Why do you think he was put on waivers to begin with?!?!????!!

You can't knowingly waive injured players. Philly is going to get fined?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Slurmer said:
You can't knowingly waive injured players. Philly is going to get fined?
Yea I don't understand this, he played in phillys last preseason game did he not? It is Holmgrem after all, guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom