• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

brucewaynegretzky said:
I don't think I'm saying something different. I'm talking about evaluating a move based on how pieces will fall in the future. Homer knows Briere, Timmonen, and Pronger are on their way out. It is just a question of how long.

I think Briere has several good seasons left. He's in better shape than Pronger who is three years older and has suffered from significant injuries recently.

Socreges said:
Bruce, I guess I just see Vokoun as satisfying the 'window' that those vets allow, also giving them some cap freedom so they wouldn't have needed to gimp themselves so much offensively just to get a decent goaltender.

I dont think the Flyers have gimped themselves offensively at all. They also got a farbetter goalie, Bryz looks amazing so far. The Flyers have needed a big time goalie for so long, he is easily worth what they had to give up to get him. They are a totally different team this year, and so far they look so much better.

Alucard

Banned
Breaking News: Crosby could be cleared for contact today.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=595411&navid=DL|NHL|home

Malkin will still sit out tonight's game against Florida with a lower body injury. Hope it's nothing serious.

Solo

Still have a bad feeling that Crosby is going to get reamed by somebody this season and go right back out on long term IR :(

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Alucard said:
Malkin will still sit out tonight's game against Florida with a lower body injury. Hope it's nothing serious.

We don't know that yet. Bylsma said he expects Malkin to play and Malkin's on the ice practicing right now.

Alucard

Banned
Spire said:
We don't know that yet. Bylsma said he expects Malkin to play and Malkin's on the ice practicing right now.

That would be great. Chances of victory increase ten-fold with Malkin on the ice.

TUSR

Banned
Solo said:
Still have a bad feeling that Crosby is going to get reamed by somebody this season and go right back out on long term IR :(

I think if Sid takes a huge hit to the head, the person who hit him and Sid won't play again.

Akin to Gretzky and McCreary (blacklisted?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb09Ce8tZ0E

Alucard said:

Malkin looked like complete garbage against the Canucks... He could barely dangle without his leg slipping out, what did they attribute this to?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Squire Felix said:
Malkin looked like complete garbage against the Canucks... He could barely dangle without his leg slipping out, what did they attribute this to?

Just too excited, trying to do it all by himself. He looked a lot better against the Flames but was still a bit too eager.

Curufinwe said:
I think Briere has several good seasons left. He's in better shape than Pronger who is three years older and has suffered from significant injuries recently.

Yeah agreed, but there's no telling how long he'll be able to stay at his current level of production.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
"Spacek 2 to 3 weeks. Upper body pain persists. Cammy 10 to 14 days with deep cut."

"#Habs Cammalleri sustained a deep cut on L thigh but no muscle damage. Recovering well and will be reevaluated Sat a.m. Be out 10-14 days."

Seems we got lucky with Cammy, and it'll be interesting to see if PG does anything to replace Spacek or just roll with Emelin and Diaz.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
sazabirules said:
When is Crosby supposed to be cleared?

Apparently that report is bunk, he's not seeing a doctor until later in the week.

And Malkin won't be playing tonight. FML

Solo

Red_Man said:
Seems we got lucky with Cammy, and it'll be interesting to see if PG does anything to replace Spacek or just roll with Emelin and Diaz.

I think he's gonna stay with those two, honestly. Unless we go like 0-6 in the next 6 games. Otherwise, its a great way to get both of those guys a lot of experience. Yemelin moreso - Diaz already looks like a capable NHL defender.

I DO however expect Gauthier to go back on the market and try to find another 4th line centre.

I'm guessing the D will be something like this for the next few weeks:
- Subban-Gill
- Gorges-Diaz
- Yemelin-Weber

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Spire said:
Apparently that report is bunk, he's not seeing a doctor until later in the week.

And Malkin won't be playing tonight. FML

You guys got through without the two for a large chunk last season. I can see the Pens doing well again if it comes to that.

Red_Man

Solo said:
I think he's gonna stay with those two, honestly. Unless we go like 0-6 in the next 6 games. Otherwise, its a great way to get both of those guys a lot of experience. Yemelin moreso - Diaz already looks like a capable NHL defender.

I DO however expect Gauthier to go back on the market and try to find another 4th line centre.

I'm guessing the D will be something like this for the next few weeks:
- Subban-Gill
- Gorges-Diaz
- Yemelin-Weber

That D-corps seems more then capable imo, but PG obviously doesn't feel the same with the signing of Campoli, also Moen is on the 1st line again which makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry. I also feel that Price can play 72 games this year again, hes young and seems to be in the best states hes ever been, I don't think he'll be burnt out, and I don't really trust Budaj right now.

Solo

Red_Man said:
That D-corps seems more then capable imo, but PG obviously doesn't feel the same with the signing of Campoli, also Moen is on the 1st line again which makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry.

Don't worry, its Jacque Martin. Moen will only last 3 shifts on the top line.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
sazabirules said:
You guys got through without the two for a large chunk last season. I can see the Pens doing well again if it comes to that.

We'll be fine, it's just annoying having your best and most exciting players out. Orpik is out too (recovering from surgery, should be back soon) and its thrown our defense a little off kilter, a lot of guys playing on sides they're not used to. I'd like to see our team play at something close to full strength.

Lone_Prodigy said:
If Malkin is out, then the Pens' top line is Neal-Staal-Sullivan?

Letestu was the first line center in the Oilers game, but I think that was just an experiment. If Staal is first line tonight I wouldn't be shocked if Kunitz got bumped up with him. I really don't know though.

MacAttack

Red_Man said:
That D-corps seems more then capable imo, but PG obviously doesn't feel the same with the signing of Campoli, also Moen is on the 1st line again which makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry. I also feel that Price can play 72 games this year again, hes young and seems to be in the best states hes ever been, I don't think he'll be burnt out, and I don't really trust Budaj right now.

I don't think you want that. Recent history shows unless your name is Brodeur making a Cup run after playing that many games is tough to do.

Here is the list of games played by Stanley Cup winning goalies and their games played:

2010/11: Tim Thomas: 57
2009/10: Antti Niemi: 39
2008/09: Marc Andre Fleury: 62
2007/08: Chris Osgood: 43
2006/07: J.S Giguere: 53
2005/06: Cam Ward: 28
2003/04: Nikolai Khabibulin: 55
2002/03: Martin Brodeur: 73
2001/02: Dominic Hasek: 65
2000/01: Patrick Roy 61
1999/00: Martin Brodeur: 72
1998/99: Ed Belfour: 61

Red_Man

MacAttack said:
I don't think you want that. Recent history shows unless your name is Brodeur making a Cup run after playing that many games is tough to do.
If we had a capable backup I would be for it, but I don't think Price looked burnout last POs he just got out played by Thomas and Ryder.

Red_Man

Price's sister :
8yaFe.jpg

Very niiiiicccceeee.

Alucard

Banned
Great long weekend, boys. Got married on Saturday, and the Pens are playing decently out of the gate. Hope the good vibes will continue tonight in the season opener.

Alucard said:
Great long weekend, boys. Got married on Saturday, and the Pens are playing decently out of the gate. Hope the good vibes will continue tonight in the season opener.

One less person to worry about in the race for Price's sister. This is good news.

O and congrats.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Alucard said:

Congrats man. 81-0-1 here we come!

snack

Alucard said:
Congrats on getting married!

Manics

Banned
Alucard said:

Great news Alu! All the best buddy!

Alucard

Banned
I just realized I wrote "season opener" instead of "home opener."

Thanks for the congrats, guys. It was the best day of my life, and I've been riding the high for days now.

Alucard said:
I just realized I wrote "season opener" instead of "home opener."

Thanks for the congrats, guys. It was the best day of my life, and life is all rosy right now.
Where'd you guys get married dude? How long were you dating?

/romantic Penis

Alucard

Banned
Epic Tales of Penis said:
Where'd you guys get married dude? How long were you dating?

/romantic Penis

We'd been dating for over four years, and tied the knot in Brossard, Quebec, which is on the south shore of Montreal. The reception was in downtown Montreal, and it rocked mega-hard. We walked into the hall to the Rocky training theme, which I know is a common choice, but it just seemed appropriate and it was grandly spectacular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom