• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MacAttack said:
Vokoun has payed twice as many games. Plus, four years is a lot in terms of a professional athlete.

I was being intentionally trollish but my larger point was about how we all overreact during the offseason, where context and accountability are often ignored.
4 years is not a lot. Bryz and him are both veteran goalies.

Hell, Roloson is still plugging away at 72!

MacAttack

Socreges said:
Are you saying that Vokoun is at the end of his career?

Specifically?

See my first post in this discussion.

In 2012 Bryz outclasses Vokoun. Why didn't Vokoun get contract numbers like Bryz if thats not the case?

edit: re: Is Vokoun at the end of his career?

I would say he is on the "downside" of his career.

Socreges

Banned
MacAttack said:
See my first post in this discussion.
Where you link to a page that doesn't seem to be relevant? I find you a bit cryptic.

MacAttack said:
I would say he is on the "downside" of his career.
How do you measure that? There's no universal formula to a goalkeeper's career, as you seem to suggest.

Rodeo Clown said:
Yeah, I know they're garbage. I watched them lose to the Islanders today. I get it.

But I hear that Dany Heatley is an all-star.

Watch the Wild game tomorrow, Heatley will be getting a hero's welcome.

Erdrick

Hmm, some actual Wild Fan(s) here. Welcome. I have a quick question for you guys:

How's your team doing? Not on the ice, but financially? Are there any worries in regards to finances, or are they pretty set there? I remember when the Northstars left and it rightfully gutted you guys. How's the fan enthusiasm for this current team? I remember one fan here before saying it was just not the same, but I'd like some more opinions and points of view in regards to that.

Also, welcome NBA-GAF refugees. I've never stepped into any of those threads, but the guys here are all good guys. Like anything, we get a little heated when it comes to our personal teams. (Winnipeg Jets till I die, BTW. Detroit's been my stand in for them for the past 15 years, so I still keep tabs on them too, just... The Jets come first now, is all.)

Again, welcome and enjoy your stay.

MacAttack

Socreges said:
Where you link to a page that doesn't seem to be relevant? I find you a bit cryptic.

I just was reminded of the Vokoun love fest this summer when Epic was going off tonight. I thought I remembered him being thrilled on July 2nd and his attitude tonight was the polar opposite (I know it was half joking.).

Im not trying to say Epic (sorry if it was implied) went overboard but I think some others did.

MacAttack

Epic Tales of Penis said:
None at all. Before last season Tim Thomas was the biggest bum.

Not so much after the season.

2009 Vezina doesn't do anything for you?

Socreges said:
How do you measure that? There's no universal formula to a goalkeeper's career, as you seem to suggest.

It was an opinion, one that you solicited.

Socreges

Banned
Anyway, signing any goalie to a new contract is a gamble. Vokoun would be the gamble I'd take. 6 consecutive seasons of .920% and without any reason to believe he wouldn't continue. Agreed that Bryz is the long-term investment solution. Get that premier goaltender while you can. But Vokoun at considerably less for a few years? Save $4.5M in cap space? There's no doubt in my mind that Philly would have taken it back if that was an option. But I'm pretty sure they just misread the market (surplus of good goalies) and were afraid of being left empty-handed.

MacAttack said:
I just was reminded of the Vokoun love fest this summer when Epic was going off tonight. I thought I remembered him being thrilled on July 2nd and his attitude tonight was the polar opposite (I know it was half joking.).

Im not trying to say Epic (sorry if it was implied) went overboard but I think some others did.
Hmm, not seeing it. I think you might be on 50-post pages while I'm on 100 per.

MacAttack said:

:lol It's all good dude. If anything I thought it was a great signing for only $1.5M.

My true sack lathering and knob gobbling goes to my REAL boys in Varly and Holtby.

MacAttack

Socreges said:
Anyway, signing any goalie to a new contract is a gamble. Vokoun would be the gamble I'd take. 6 consecutive seasons of .920% and without any reason to believe he wouldn't continue. Agreed that Bryz is the long-term investment solution. Get that premier goaltender while you can. But Vokoun at considerably less for a few years? Save $4.5M in cap space? There's no doubt in my mind that Philly would have taken it back if that was an option. But I'm pretty sure they just misread the market (surplus of good goalies) and were afraid of being left empty-handed.

Hmm, not seeing it. I think you might be on 50-post pages while I'm on 100 per.

Bryz is younger and has less mileage, I'm sticking to that as to why Philly signed him to that contract. At this point in his career after putting up those numbers for that long Vokoun is a known quantity and you kind of know where his ceiling is. Bryz has more upside and potential. And of course, Philly was desperate. I would roll with Bryz given the choice of those two.

Maybe you can argue that there wasn't a team desperate enough to sign Vokoun to a long term deal a la Philly. I buy that.

Socreges

Banned
MacAttack said:
Bryz is younger and has less mileage, I'm sticking to that as to why Philly signed him to that contract. At this point in his career after putting up those numbers for that long Vokoun is a known quantity and you kind of know where his ceiling is. Bryz has more upside and potential. And of course, Philly was desperate. I would roll with Bryz given the choice of those two.

Maybe you can argue that there wasn't a team desperate enough to sign Vokoun to a long term deal a la Philly. I buy that.
Remember that Philly traded for Bryzgalov and then signed him before he became a UFA. They couldn't have even spoken to other goaltenders as they weren't UFAs yet. I am quite sure that they just assumed that Vokoun would be demanding comparable money.

Of course anyone would take Bryz over Vokoun. I don't disagree there. But Philly already has a great (aging) core. If they can save $4.5M and still score an excellent goaltender for a year or three, why not? You've almost got yourself a Tim Connolly for that price! ...almost.

Anyway, I take your point. I just think Vokoun would have been a better fit for Philly and Philly might even agree.

Socreges said:
and Philly might even agree.

Eh. Yes and no. Depends on how much the older guys have in the tank. I see Bryz as a guy that in the next three years could be a Vezina nom in any given year. That seems less likely for Vokoun. If Pronger, Timmonen, and Briere can play up to their skill levels for three years then no problem. If they can't then it becomes entirely dependent on where Homer spends the money he gets back from their retirements/LTIRs.
Weber!!!

MacAttack

brucewaynegretzky said:
Eh. Yes and no. Depends on how much the older guys have in the tank. I see Bryz as a guy that in the next three years could be a Vezina nom in any given year. That seems less likely for Vokoun. If Pronger, Timmonen, and Briere can play up to their skill levels for three years then no problem. If they can't then it becomes entirely dependent on where Homer spends the money he gets back from their retirements/LTIRs.
Weber!!!

If Weber ever came to a good Eastern Conference team I would shit my pants. That dude scares me.

Slurmer said:
Yeah, no chance Philly was ever going to get Vokoun for 1.5 mill.

I was just about to post this. Will Washington give him a multi-year deal with a raise if he produces for them this season? Or will he continue to take a "Stanley Cup" discount?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad sazabirules is there in person to watch his boy Vokoun play.

This guy is a sieve.

Hey I look like a fool for wanting him to play on Saturday. :) He let in three soft goals tonight. The top lines for both teams were shit. Stone Hands is playing well after signing that new contract. Even though Ovechkin was invisible tonight at least he isn't fat anymore. I think he is hurting a bit from the slash on Sat.

Socreges

Banned
Slurmer said:
Yeah, no chance Philly was ever going to get Vokoun for 1.5 mill.
Why not?

Bruce, you're saying something sorta different, no? Talking about what would be best in retrospect, but ultimately they'd only make the assessment NOW without knowing what will happen to any of their properties in the future.

sazabirules said:
Hey I look like a fool for wanting him to play on Saturday. :) He let in three soft goals tonight. The top lines for both teams were shit. Stone Hands is playing well after signing that new contract. Even though Ovechkin was invisible tonight at least he isn't fat anymore. I think he is hurting a bit from the slash on Sat.
I actually think it's flying all the way to Russia for a 3-4 days for that death in his family. He should be recovered for Thursday night.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I actually think it's flying all the way to Russia for a 3-4 days for that death in his family. He should be recovered for Thursday night.

Vokoun's back was the most valuable Tampa Bay player. I'm glad he admitted he was mediocre. I'm all for the "shaky" Czech playing instead of Vokoun for a couple of games.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Caps dominated this game. With Varly in net it's 5-0. :lol

Marcus made quite the statement after being benched for the first game. Like you mentioned earlier, our third line has been great.

MacAttack

Socreges said:
You were holding out...? You can explain then.

I was holding out on the rest of that sentence...

"I was just about to post this and then deleted it." is what I should have posted (cheap out, I know...)

Its too much of a hypothetical to be worth getting into and as you are implying I have said quite enough on the subject already.

Socreges

Banned
MacAttack said:
I was holding out on the rest of that sentence...

"I was just about to post this and then deleted it." is what I should have posted (cheap out, I know...)

Its too much of a hypothetical to be worth getting into and as you are implying I have said quite enough on the subject already.
Hah, the opposite. I was implying it was weird that you would abstain from posting something that (I think) is a much stronger argument than anything else you said. I'd definitely like to know why Vokoun would not have taken $1.5M in Philly, but did in Washington.

MacAttack

Socreges said:
Hah, the opposite. I was implying it was weird that you would abstain from posting something that (I think) is a much stronger argument than anything else you said. I'd definitely like to know why Vokoun would not have taken $1.5M in Philly, but did in Washington.

Leverage. He would of had it in Philly and he didnt with Washington.

Socreges

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
Another day, another pointless Socreges debate.
If I actually had these debates every day, you'd be making cunt remarks as often. Unfortunately we're not so blessed.

MacAttack said:
Leverage. He would of had it in Philly and he didnt with Washington.
OK. What leverage? Honestly not sure what you mean. Washington has Neuvirth. Philly has Bobrovsky.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Hating Anacrime isn't worth my time.
Dastardly would have taken that badly were he not from another continent.

Manics

Banned
I always picture Socreges as this pony tail guy

tumblr_lfcj9oT1gJ1qbljveo1_500.gif

Solo

Alucard said:
You mean like the ones who jumped on 2 years ago when the Habs made it to the conference finals?

Quite honestly, I don't recall a single bandwagoner for that on GAF. I met a lot in RL, but not here.

Solo

MCammalleri13 Michael Cammalleri
Thank you for all the well wishes. I'm doing fine. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving.

ArponBasu Arpon Basu
Define "fine" RT @MCammalleri13

MCammalleri13 Michael Cammalleri
@ArponBasu Fine= Lower body

Haha Cammy, you smarmy bastard! No muscle or tendon damage. Fuck yeah! Just needs time to let the gash heal up.

Socreges said:
Why not?

Bruce, you're saying something sorta different, no? Talking about what would be best in retrospect, but ultimately they'd only make the assessment NOW without knowing what will happen to any of their properties in the future.

Philly would not have gotten Vokoun for 1.5 because if they were still in the market his value would have been much higher.

I don't think I'm saying something different. I'm talking about evaluating a move based on how pieces will fall in the future. Homer knows Briere, Timmonen, and Pronger are on their way out. It is just a question of how long. Bryz gives them an opportunity to win while those guys are all coming down from the high points of their careers. They needed a goalie who could last more than 1-2 years on the off chance that some of their older guys could still play. Bryz was the better option. Vokoun would not have been worth the price he easily could have commanded from a team like Philly. The only move that I think was a mistake was the Richards move. We could have afforded Bryz just by moving Carter.

LA/Philly on Saturday. I'm going up with my dad and friend. I'll be wearing a Richards jersey and my buddy's bringing out his Gagne jersey. If one of them scores I'm cheering. I don't care. Still hope the Flyers win of course.

Socreges

Banned
Bruce, I guess I just see Vokoun as satisfying the 'window' that those vets allow, also giving them some cap freedom so they wouldn't have needed to gimp themselves so much offensively just to get a decent goaltender.

Manics said:
I always picture Socreges as this pony tail guy

tumblr_lfcj9oT1gJ1qbljveo1_500.gif
Nah dude, I'm the other guy.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw the Bruins highlights and with the cup Chara is still a man-baby. Gets checked and knocked down by O'Byrne, gets embarrased, starts cross-checking O'Byrne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom