• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Habs vs Sabres tomorrow. I think the most clear-cut FLEECED trade in Montreal's favour in the past decade was with the Sabres: Craig Rivet for a defenceman no one expecting much from named Josh Gorges and a draft pick who ended up being Max Pacioretty. Thanks, Sabres!

Fei

Solo said:
Habs vs Sabres tomorrow. I think the most clear-cut FLEECED trade in Montreal's favour in the past decade was with the Sabres: Craig Rivet for a defenceman no one expecting much from named Josh Gorges and a draft pick who ended up being Max Pacioretty. Thanks, Sabres!

Lol, the Sabres traded for Rivet with San Jose.. I think you're confused.

Solo

You're right, it was the Sharks. Thanks, San Jose!

FLEECED!

But we still traded Rivet to the Sabres, so in a convoluted way, we still got Gorges/Patches for Rivet.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Foreign Jackass said:
LMAO jesus christ, its better then that stupid internet commercial he was doing anyways. The Buffalo game will be a real test to see if everyone has adjusted their game play and mistakes from the past games, but Habs always tend to play a lot better against playoff teams and play shit against non-playoff teams for some reason.

snack said:
That's disheartening.
I guess that makes sense. With Rome due back, they can't carry 3 extra defencemen on depth. Tanev was the most obvious one to sent back being a rookie. At least he'll be able to develop his offensive skills on the Wolves.

Not to mention they need to clear cap to bring in Kesler.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
As one of the few members of Isles-Gaf, I'd just like to chime in how nice it is to start the season well while the Rangers remain winless.

Gotta enjoy it while we can.

Red_Man said:
LMAO jesus christ, its better then that stupid internet commercial he was doing anyways. The Buffalo game will be a real test to see if everyone has adjusted their game play and mistakes from the past games, but Habs always tend to play a lot better against playoff teams and play shit against non-playoff teams for some reason.
Habs win guaranteed!

Red_Man

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Habs win guaranteed!
Varly or Riemer? Only one of your boys will pull through tonight, think I might actually watch should be an entertaining game.

Red_Man said:
Varly or Riemer? Only one of your boys will pull through tonight, think I might actually watch should be an entertaining game.
I'm guessing Giggy will get the start out of respect that it's against his former team.

This game is going to OT!

C Jones

Sorry sef, but your boy TK is out with concussion-like symptoms :(

Edit: missed Spire's post. TK hasn't been playing that great lately. Hope he comes back soon though.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
C Jones said:
Sorry sef, but your boy TK is out with concussion-like symptoms :(

Edit: missed Spire's post. TK hasn't been playing that great lately. Hope he comes back soon though.

My roommate found me before the two bottles of Tylenol I downed did the deed. My stomach's been pumped and I'm in the hospital pattering away on my phone, I feel much better now. Still, the ill tidings of TK's addled brain grieve my heart. The thought of Richard Park being our second line center makes my body hurt in ways the doctors can't explain. I fear a team we should crush like Winnipeg may hold a challenge for our tired, depleted crew. I grow tense, mere shadows cast by the sun's lazy light appear as demons to me and I fright at the slightest sound. The scriptures tell me that Bylsma will find a path through the darkness but my faith is like a newborn child on the salt-stained rocks, wave after wave of injury crashing against it. The memories of Crosby, Malkin, and Staal anchoring our ship at the same time are so distant now, like some fever dream half-remembered. Yet I press on. I know the gods would not be so cruel as to ignore my prayers forever, I know that one day soon our health shall be restored and that the blood of our foes will taste like wine in our mouths as we cleave our way through them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hope Detroit enjoys its inexplicable 2nd straight week-long break.

Every second of practice better be spent on scoring on the PP. Question for Wings fans--does anybody ever remember it being this bad? I think one of the problems is that they almost never try to work the puck down low.

C Jones

Spire said:
My roommate found me before the two bottles of Tylenol I downed did the deed. My stomach's been pumped and I'm in the hospital pattering away on my phone, I feel much better now. Still, the ill tidings of TK's addled brain grieve my heart. The thought of Richard Park being our second line center makes my body hurt in ways the doctors can't explain. I fear a team we should crush like Winnipeg may hold a challenge for our tired, depleted crew. I grow tense, mere shadows cast by the sun's lazy light appear as demons to me and I fright at the slightest sound. The scriptures tell me that Bylsma will find a path through the darkness but my faith is like a newborn child on the salt-stained rocks, wave after wave of injury crashing against it. The memories of Crosby, Malkin, and Staal anchoring our ship at the same time are so distant now, like some fever dream half-remembered. Yet I press on. I know the gods would not be so cruel as to ignore my prayers forever, I know that one day soon our health shall be restored and that the blood of our foes will taste like wine in our mouths as we cleave our way through them.
There you have it folks, the state of Pens-age.

Seriously though I listen to the post game radio show and people call in wondering who will be the odd man out once everyone is healthy. Is there a team in the league that has this problem? Are there teams in the league that are so healthy that this is a problem or something? I shake my head everytime I hear one of these calls. I can't remember when the Pens last had this "problem".

Solo

Montresor said:
Toronto doesn't have a single player born in the GTA.

You coulda had this golden boy:
mike_cammalleri.jpg

But Burke's gaffe was to the Habs benefit, so thanks!

Montresor

Cammalleri is a great player, I know. He doesn't seem to do many impressive things in the regular season but he is amazing in the playoffs. I love his intensity, his one-knee one-timers, and the way he points in thanks to a teammate after scoring a goal.

I was watching the home opener with my aunt and the rink announcer was introducing every single Leaf player's name + birth place. She was aghast when not a single player there turned out to be from Toronto. "How is that possible?" she said. Heh.

Another cute thing was my mom catching just a few minutes of the Canucks-Oilers game with me last Saturday night. Sutton and the Canuck player (name escapes me) were fighting and my mom was like "But... but the referee is just standing there watching them! Why??"

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
C Jones said:
There you have it folks, the state of Pens-age.

Seriously though I listen to the post game radio show and people call in wondering who will be the odd man out once everyone is healthy. Is there a team in the league that has this problem? Are there teams in the league that are so healthy that this is a problem or something? I shake my head everytime I hear one of these calls. I can't remember when the Pens last had this "problem".

Well we have three centers out, so someone is getting sent back down (Letestu). I don't expect to ever be totally healthy but I'd like to have the players our team is built around to be out there together at some point.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Montresor said:
Toronto doesn't have a single player born in the GTA.

But they have Kadri! London!

Toronto is actually cursed when it comes to hockey stars- I've played against players that were NHL calibre but haven't done shit but then I see guys like John Pohl who can barely skate play in the NHL

Like who is out there? Subban? Nash? Cammalleri?

I once saw a list of players who made it to the NHL from the GTHL, and it wasn't pretty... Must be a factor of living in the big city and the costs of playing or something

There's something broken with the way hockey is handled in Toronto, so many good players - so little go anywhere

Solo

Montresor said:
Cammalleri is a great player, I know.

The reason I brought him up is that he's an Ontario kid (and presumably - for real this time - he grew up a Leafs fan), and if rumor is to be believed, Burke was very hot on him in the summer of 2009 but decided at the last moment to go for Kessel instead, and Mike signed in Montreal instead. In the end, its worked out great for both teams. Kessel is a perennial 30 goal scorer (Cammy would be too if he didn't miss 25 games to injury like clockwork each season) and Cammy is a playoff beast (29 points in 26 playoff games in a Habs uniform).

Red_Man

Solo said:
You coulda had this golden boy:
mike_cammalleri.jpg

But Burke's gaffe was to the Habs benefit, so thanks!
Surprised and extremely happy he's already skating with the team again.

Montresor

DopeyFish said:
But they have Kadri! London!

Toronto is actually cursed when it comes to hockey stars- I've played against players that were NHL calibre but haven't done shit but then I see guys like John Pohl who can barely skate play in the NHL

Like who is out there? Subban? Nash? Cammalleri?

I once saw a list of players who made it to the NHL from the GTHL, and it wasn't pretty... Must be a factor of living in the big city and the costs of playing or something

There's something broken with the way hockey is handled in Toronto, so many good players - so little go anywhere

I only meant the Maple Leafs don't have a single player born in the GTA. I wasn't talking about the city of Toronto itself being unable to produce good hockey players. Buuuut, it's interesting to see that this is actually the case. Well the GTA overall still has loads of good players.

Solo

Red_Man said:
Surprised and extremely happy he's already skating with the team again.

Yep! I will bet you anything Martin keeps him out until Toronto on Saturday though. I'd love to see him play on Thursday though. I'd love even more to see Cammy-Pleks-Eller.

Red_Man

Solo said:
Yep! I will bet you anything Martin keeps him out until Toronto on Saturday though. I'd love to see him play on Thursday though. I'd love even more to see Cammy-Pleks-Eller.
Yea with him back, we have 3 really decent lines, its just that 4th line that's not up to much, and I hate to say it but I haven't been very impressed with Darche and I love the guys heart.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Montresor said:
I only meant the Maple Leafs don't have a single player born in the GTA. I wasn't talking about the city of Toronto itself being unable to produce good hockey players.

Yeah, but Toronto not being able to produce a lot of hockey players turned into Toronto not having any torontonian NHL players...

Montresor

DopeyFish said:
Yeah, but Toronto not being able to produce a lot of hockey players turned into Toronto not having any torontonian NHL players...

I added more to my original post. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was refuting what you said.

Solo

Red_Man said:
Yea with him back, we have 3 really decent lines, its just that 4th line that's not up to much, and I hate to say it but I haven't been very impressed with Darche and I love the guys heart.

I'd love to see

Cammy-Pleks-Eller (only for a while though, eventually we need to get Eller back at centre)
AK-DD-Patches
Cole-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Enqvist-Darche (White takes Enqvist's spot in 8 weeks)

And then eventually when/if everyone gets healthy

Cammy-Pleks-Cole
AK-Eller-Patches
DD-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-White-Weber
Darche

Markov-Gorges
Subban-Gill
Campoli-Spacek
Diaz-Emelin

Socreges

Banned
SpectreFire said:
I guess that makes sense. With Rome due back, they can't carry 3 extra defencemen on depth. Tanev was the most obvious one to sent back being a rookie. At least he'll be able to develop his offensive skills on the Wolves.

Not to mention they need to clear cap to bring in Kesler.
Has nothing to do with the cap. They just needed a roster spot and Tanev (unfortunately) made the most sense.

Red_Man

Solo said:
I'd love to see
And then eventually when/if everyone gets healthy

Cammy-Pleks-Cole
AK-Eller-Patches
DD-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-White-Weber
Darche

The only problem I have here is DD and Gio on the same line, but overall looks decent. Pleks looks to be in high gear already hopefully he can maintain it, and PG can pick up a good PK guy to give pleks a break.

Solo

Red_Man said:
The only problem I have here is DD and Gio on the same line.

A necessary evil to get that AK-Eller-Patches second line which would be our biggest and most ferocious line in years.

Manics

Banned
Solo said:
You're right, it was the Sharks. Thanks, San Jose!

FLEECED!

But we still traded Rivet to the Sabres, so in a convoluted way, we still got Gorges/Patches for Rivet.
Fuck that is a fleecing, well done.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Plinko said:
Hope Detroit enjoys its inexplicable 2nd straight week-long break.

Every second of practice better be spent on scoring on the PP. Question for Wings fans--does anybody ever remember it being this bad? I think one of the problems is that they almost never try to work the puck down low.
I'm sure at some point during the past few seasons it's had a try spell of 0 for 15 or 20. It's just that you never really notice since they've already scored 20 or 30 and the % is still in the low 20's. But you're right, they don't work the puck down low. They rely too much on trying to get that shot from the point through and deflected in by Holmstrom or whoever's in front. If they don't adjust this season, they are fucked because Homer ain't coming back next year and neither is Lidstrom. When Pavel has the puck, that's when the other guys should get their ass in gear and get open. They seem too passive right now, just waiting for Pavel to magically out deke everyone and get clear for a shot. Dude can only do so much when 2 D men converge on him. The other thing I notice is that they really don't do those cross slot passes like a lot of teams do to us. I'm not too worried at this point, it's only 4 games in. They get a game where they go 2 for 5 or 3 for 6 and they're right back in it.

C Jones

Spire said:
Well we have three centers out, so someone is getting sent back down (Letestu). I don't expect to ever be totally healthy but I'd like to have the players our team is built around to be out there together at some point.
Yeah no doubt. I'd much rather worry about who's going to be sent down instead of wondering when a player is coming back from injury. One day we'll have the big 3 out there again. One day.

It's not all bad though. We still have one of the NHL's leading goal scorers playing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom