• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manics

Banned
Solo said:
The real truth in this situation is that the Habs are playing somewhat below themselves right now and the Leafs are playing somewhat above themselves right now, and that in the end, the teams are pretty close to eachother overall - fairly comparable D, fairly comparable O. The Habs get the edge due to Price and a lot more playoff experience, but they are pretty much even beyond that. This will be reflected come April when the teams are both fighting to get in the playoffs and are separated by just a few points.

There you have it, the one and only time this season I am going to break character and give some real talk.
Saved.

Ditto except I think the Leafs youth will push them through. Hell both teams could make the playoffs.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yay that wasn't so hard. The biggest questions for both teams is obviously goal tending. We need Price to be as good as he was last year, and Leafs need Riemer to play all season like he did the 2nd half of last year. If both can accomplish that, then it's going to be a very tight playoff race, along with the canes and rangers fighting their way in. I'm more interested in seeing what if any teams have a fallout like Colorado did last year. At the end of the day I think both Habs and Leaf fans can agree that we don't want Canucks to win just to spite Tabris.

Socreges

Banned
Solo said:
The real truth in this situation is that the Habs are playing somewhat below themselves right now and the Leafs are playing somewhat above themselves right now, and that in the end, the teams are pretty close to eachother overall - fairly comparable D, fairly comparable O. The Habs get the edge due to Price and a lot more playoff experience, but they are pretty much even beyond that. This will be reflected come April when the teams are both fighting to get in the playoffs and are separated by just a few points.

There you have it, the one and only time this season I am going to break character and give some real talk.
There's no going back now. Copy/Paste/Post whenever you try and say otherwise.

Solo

I think the biggest shock to me in these 4 games so far might be that our special teams suck while we've actually become a really good even strength team. Total 180 on both from the past two seasons, lol.

EDIT: thats fine, Socreges. Doesn't mean there won't be a mountain of shit talking the rest of the way, but once and I while even I get tired of all the goddamn negativity and trolling.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'd just like to say I'd love nothing more than both Montreal and Toronto to make the playoffs and have deep playoff runs just to see how epic the playoff threads would get.

God forbid if by some miracle the Habs and Leafs were ever to play each other in the playoffs, I don't think NHL-GAF would be able to handle it.

Solo

Kave_Man said:
God forbid if by some miracle the Habs and Leafs were ever to play each other in the playoffs, I don't think NHL-GAF would be able to handle it.

I've pretty much come to accept that this is something I'll never see in my life :_(

1993 was SO close to being a Habs/Leafs finals before you guys got Gretzky'd.

Solo said:

The fuck?! Manics alt account?

Solo

Epic Tales of Penis said:
The fuck?! Manics alt account?

:lol

I decided it was too early in the season for the kind of vitriol that has been going around already. Need to save that for later.

Red_Man

Kave_Man said:
I'd just like to say I'd love nothing more than both Montreal and Toronto to make the playoffs and have deep playoff runs just to see how epic the playoff threads would get.

This is my #1 dream for the playoffs, it would be such an amazing experience, but the teams are too close to each other at this point for this to realistically happen for some time. Even if the leafs made the playoffs and habs didn't, after watching Chara lift the cup last year I'm pretty immune to any rivalry bullshit. I've seen one of my most hated players lift the cup, life goes on.

Solo said:
:lol

I decided it was too early in the season for the kind of vitriol that has been going around already. Need to save that for later.
Oh ya, but it's always in good fun man. I think this thread has the coolest posters on GAF. Does anybody (other than Malakhov) really take these posts to heart and has a Manics doll that they beat up whenever he makes a Habs bashing post?

Manics

Banned
Red_Man said:
Yay that wasn't so hard. The biggest questions for both teams is obviously goal tending. We need Price to be as good as he was last year, and Leafs need Riemer to play all season like he did the 2nd half of last year. If both can accomplish that, then it's going to be a very tight playoff race, along with the canes and rangers fighting their way in. I'm more interested in seeing what if any teams have a fallout like Colorado did last year. At the end of the day I think both Habs and Leaf fans can agree that we don't want Canucks to win just to spite Tabris.
The most encouraging thing about Reimer for Leafs fans is his ability to bounce back after a bad goal or game. We saw it last season, there was a string of games where he was tired and had a few bad starts. People were starting to say that "teams figured him out" or he was slowly cracking under the pressure, but he bounced back and played strongly again to the end. This year he's come to camp 20 lbs lighter and is quicker. Hopefully the new dedication to fitness can see him through the entire year. As he goes so go the Leafs

Solo

Oh ya, but it's always in good fun man. I think this thread has the coolest posters on GAF. Does anybody (other than Malakhov) really take these posts to heart and has a Manics doll that they beat up whenever he makes a Habs bashing post?

All that Eller bashing stings, man. Kid is going to be a great player, but all I here is "pointspointspointspoints, how many points?!"

He hasn't found the scoring touch yet, that much is undeniably true, but any Hab fan can tell you that if you compare how he played for the first 3/4 of last season with how he played in the playoffs and so far this season, its been a quantum leap. Like watching a boy become a man. Whenever he does develop a scoring touch and some more confidence, kid is going to be scary. I implore you to actually pay attention to his game next Saturday during the Habs/Leafs game. If Martin didn't have such an unwillingness to bench vets/play young guys, Eller would undoubtably steal his job this season.

Socreges

Banned
Solo said:
EDIT: thats fine, Socreges. Doesn't mean there won't be a mountain of shit talking the rest of the way, but once and I while even I get tired of all the goddamn negativity and trolling.
Before I saw your post, I was going to comment on how excessive the Habs/Leafs banter/trolling has been and how you guys couldn't possibly keep it up much longer. We're 3-6 games in. None of the four teams that made it to the conference finals last season have winning records. Toronto, NYI, Dallas, and Colorado are among the best in the league right now.

You could invert the standings right now and it would look no less ridiculous.

Red_Man

Manics said:
The most encouraging thing about Reimer for Leafs fans is his ability to bounce back after a bad goal or game. We saw it last season, there was a string of games where he was tired and had a few bad starts. People were starting to say that "teams figured him out" or he was slowly cracking under the pressure, but he bounced back and played strongly again to the end. This year he's come to camp 20 lbs lighter and is quicker. Hopefully the new dedication to fitness can see him through the entire year. As he goes so go the Leafs
Goalies are my favourite players, and I genuinely hope Reimer does well, he seems like a great kid, fans just need to give him 20-30 games and see if he's really competing on a consistent level before bringing him up to Price's level, and Price needs to step his game up as well.

Manics

Banned
I'm so happy I could fuck everyone in this thread right now. Red Man could drive deep into my throat and I'd be ok with it. Real pleased man, love fest right now. :)

Solo

Socreges said:
Before I saw your post, I was going to comment on how excessive the Habs/Leafs banter/trolling has been and how you guys couldn't possibly keep it up much longer. We're 3-6 games in. None of the four teams that made it to the conference finals last season have winning records. Toronto, NYI, Dallas, and Colorado are among the best in the league right now.

You could invert the standings right now and it would look no less ridiculous.

Indeed. Thats why I felt the need to step off the gas pedal, haha. A week from now the standing can and likely will be completely different across the entire NHL. It takes a solid 25 to 30 games before you can really even start getting a handle on world beaters vs. contenders vs. pretenders vs. lottery pickers.

Solo said:
All that Eller bashing stings, man. Kid is going to be a great player, but all I here is "pointspointspointspoints, how many points?!"

He hasn't found the scoring touch yet, that much is undeniably true, but any Hab fan can tell you that if you compare how he played for the first 3/4 of last season with how he played in the playoffs and so far this season, its been a quantum leap. Like watching a boy become a man. Whenever he does develop a scoring touch and some more confidence, kid is going to be scary. I implore you to actually pay attention to his game next Saturday during the Habs/Leafs game. If Martin didn't have such an unwillingness to bench vets/play young guys, Eller would undoubtably steal his job this season.
Mmmmmm...I promise.

Red_Man

Manics said:
I'm so happy I could fuck everyone in this thread right now. Red Man could drive deep into my throat and I'd be ok with it. Real pleased man, love fest right now. :)
That's Manics we all know and love. This is just the calm before the storm before this weekends leaf / habs game anyways :lol and being two of the most passionate fanbase's in the league lets us really go at it, should be seen as a positive.

Manics

Banned
Solo said:

Alright man I'll actually try to watch Eller's game objectively through all the fucking "ole ole" chants at the Bell center (hopefully they're boos). I just gotta say I don't think i'll see a Danish superstar in the league.

Red_Man

Foreign Jackass said:
Wtf I step away 10 mins and it's inter-team ballwashing fuck the leafs seriously
:lol sorry man, I think Eller is still 1-2 years away from being a fantastic player, but his gameplay these last two games is night and day difference from last year.

Fuck you. You ripped the Leafs and are now on the bandwagon.

/hypocrite

What? I ripped the leafs apart, yes; because they deserved being ripped apart those last few years.

And bandwagon? Lmao, dude, just because I don't post here doesn't mean I'm a bandwagon. But I lurk this thread so damn much that I can actually pretty much tell who is who and which team they support. It's pretty crazy!

I'm a leaf fan through and thorough. I'm also very territorial, so if any other canadian team makes the playoffs and faces an american team, I'm going for the american team. Fuck that, it's either the leafs winning the stanley cup or nothing.

Bandwagon is a wrong term man. I just like to follow the leafs and talk about the leafs on here or hockey in general.

I do love some mud-slinging but hey, just wait a couple more games and we'll see.

I don't even fucking like the habs, I loathe them. The best part? I was BORN and RAISED in MONTREAL. I LIVED THERE 17 YEARS! LACHINE REPRESENT!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Manics said:

I like how he can stay positive throughout everything. Nothing defeats a goalie worse than confidence issues (see Price)

Red_Man

FortunateSon said:
I don't even fucking like the habs, I loathe them. The best part? I was BORN and RAISED in MONTREAL. I LIVED THERE 17 YEARS! LACHINE REPRESENT!
How does this even happen? Does your family still speak to you?
Kuro Madoushi said:
I like how he can stay positive throughout everything. Nothing defeats a goalie worse than confidence issues (see Price)
This was Price's issue when he lost his job to Halak, he was too shaky, but going through that year and losing the job to Halak really helped him get over that, and he has come out 3 times stronger mentally.

Manics

Banned
Red_Man said:
Bandwagoners are like that. See the scores of guys here in Toronto who pop Habs flags on their cars after a few wins.

Solo said:
As much fun as it would be for me to play the LOLOLOLOLeafs card here, the truth is that is wasn't entirely Komi's move to Toronto that ruined him. Its actually a twofold thing, and only one is the-move-to-Toronto related. The first thing, which happened when he was still a Hab, is when he fought Lucic and got raped. He was never the same player after that. Second, the one that IS Habs/Leafs related, is that he was playing with Markov in Montreal, and once he no longer had Markov there to make brilliant, crisp passes up the ice and out of the zone, he was kind of exposed for what he was.

Yeah, I do remember that. The Lucic/Komisarek fight but if I'm not wrong, he still played the very gritty style hockey as a defensive player and that was awesome. He threw checks, made nice offensive playes, played well defensively.

I'm not saying he's awesome, just that he just never was the same. I do agree with you on the account of Markov as Markov probably made him look better and was making awesome plays. Markov probably covered his ass/mistakes a lot too I bet. But still, he was throwing all the awesome checks with or without Markov when he was in Montreal!

:(

We got shitty Komisarek! If only.... And he was a pretty likeable player at that time too in Montreal.

I strongly disagree that the Habs and Leafs have comparable offense and defense. Hell, going by last year the Leafs entire top 2 lines could individually score more than anyone on the Habs with the possible exception of Bozak. COME. AT. ME.

Red_Man said:

Lmao! My dad was a huge leaf fan and I always ended up watching the leafs since I was young with my dad and it just carried on from there, never cared for the habs!

As well as my cousins who live in Ottawa (lots of them), they will always come over and we'd watch leafs/senators games together and the rivalry just got stronger between Ottawa and Toronto and that made my love for the leafs grow as well!

How much I miss almo, Corson, Tucker, hoglund, roberts, Reichel, Svehla, Berezin.

Good times indeed!

I know, it sucks! :(

Red_Man

The Ottawa / Toronto "Battle of Ontario" seems like a bullshit rivalry created by the CBC, I've never seen this rivalry and I know a shit ton of leaf fans and a bunch of Sens fans.

MacAttack

Red_Man said:

This was Price's issue when he lost his job to Halak, he was too shaky, but going through that year and losing the job to Halak really helped him get over that, and he has come out 3 times stronger mentally.

How do you measure that? Is it like when the Grinch's heart grew three sizes bigger?
Grinch+heart.jpg

FortunateSon said:
What? I ripped the leafs apart, yes; because they deserved being ripped apart those last few years.

And bandwagon? Lmao, dude, just because I don't post here doesn't mean I'm a bandwagon. But I lurk this thread so damn much that I can actually pretty much tell who is who and which team they support. It's pretty crazy!

I'm a leaf fan through and thorough. I'm also very territorial, so if any other canadian team makes the playoffs and faces an american team, I'm going for the american team. Fuck that, it's either the leafs winning the stanley cup or nothing.

Bandwagon is a wrong term man. I just like to follow the leafs and talk about the leafs on here or hockey in general.

I do love some mud-slinging but hey, just wait a couple more games and we'll see.

Fuck dude, I love you too. I'm feeling the love in here! :D

Red_Man

MacAttack said:
How do you measure that? Is it like when the Grinch's heart grew three sizes bigger?
Grinch+heart.jpg
You see it in his composure during game play and after he lets in a goal. He doesn't get rattled and like so many commentators have said he makes so many saves seem effortless. After going through the Bell Centre booing him, I doubt anything could get to him. At times it seems like he is almost too calm though.

Red_Man said:
The Ottawa / Toronto "Battle of Ontario" seems like a bullshit rivalry created by the CBC, I've never seen this rivalry and I know a shit ton of leaf fans and a bunch of Sens fans.

It really isn't. It's because there's 2 teams in the same damn province and obviously, one is always going to try and up the other.

I think it makes sense. I wouldn't like it if Ottawa senators is seen as Ontario's team. Fuck that. Never.

A lot of senators fans are also ex-leaf fans which is freaking hilarious.

Montresor said:
It was getting bloody in here. I'm glad you guys have stopped the shit talking. =\ You guys can be brutal.

Oh you, that's the best part about this thread.

Fuck dude, I love you too. I'm feeling the love in here! :D

I don't know if you are being sacastic but if you aren't. So do I, so do I. Except that you're a caps fan. Wtf is this shit?

fallout

Red_Man said:
Back when they were facing each other in playoffs every year, I think it mattered. Now that they've both kind of fallen out of the playoff picture, I doubt anyone can really get worked up about it that much.

Red_Man said:

It was real when we met in the playoffs, it's dead now, only alive in the media and on forums where people troll each other.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
fallout said:
Back when they were facing each other in playoffs every year, I think it mattered. Now that they've both kind of fallen out of the playoff picture, I doubt anyone can really get worked up about it that much.
Cause the Sens suck and nobody wants to play for them. Not that I can blame them since Ottawa is such a boring city. I'm sorry. I gave it a chance! It's just so boring and filled with more homeless people per area than Toronto!

I will admit Price seems more confident than he was a few years ago. I still wouldn't rely on him in a sudden death playoff game nor would I pick him for Team Canada.

And Manics (and Peins), I did tell you about the time Montreal lost a game in the playoffs and I cheered and they told me to pay up and get out at a bar here in Riverdale...

Goddamn Montreal fans...smh

For all the talk about Price, I'm worried about Halak. I got him in my keepers league, and boy is he not helping my numbers. He's just sucking even more than last year.

As a Habs fan, I'm glad we traded him, but as a former fan of his, I'm a bit sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom