• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manics

Banned
20080331074914_0_I_Believe_in_Miracles.jpg

Home

DopeyFish said:
Yeah and we benched a rookie who has been playing incredible for his boneheaded plays

Franson's been better than Schenn though. Really liking Frattin out there, no goals yet though.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Home said:
Franson's been better than Schenn though. Really liking Frattin out there, no goals yet though.

Schenn might be doing nothing but at least he's not aimlessly throwing the puck up the boards against the flow of his team (I've seen franson do it 3 times this game)

Fucking leafs have to learn this is a possession game, whenever you lose possession you are awarding the other team an opportunity to score - you may also notice that I hate dump ins when the line is changing

This is bush league shit

Montresor

Heh, I'll repeat the feeling of "at least we got a point."

There was so much sloppy play by the D in the third. And the PP needs a lot of work.

DopeyFish, I think we might see Franson out for Gardiner, but only to keep Gardiner from getting stale in the press box (they still haven't sent him to the Marlies yet). I don't think Franson played that badly, but damn he was weak covering the man on the OT goal. I think he had a great game on Saturday, but what I don't like from him is he's supposed to be a good shot on the powerplay but he's contributing nothing there. Whether that's a team or coaching or Franson issue I don't know.

Solo

DopeyFish said:
you may also notice that I hate dump ins when the line is changing

How else are teams supposed to change on the fly? Change when they're in their own D-zone? Obviously that makes no sense for any reason. Change when they're in the opponent's zone? Well, you've just given up your offensive advantage. Changing after crossing the red line and dumping the puck in is the only safe/logical way to do it.

Montresor said:
Heh, I'll repeat the feeling of "at least we got a point."

There was so much sloppy play by the D in the third. And the PP needs a lot of work.

A lot. I thought they hired those new assistant coaches to work on the power play? Looks the same to me.

edit: Beaten :/

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Solo said:
How else are teams supposed to change on the fly? Change when they're in their own D-zone? Obviously that makes no sense for any reason. Change when they're in the opponent's zone? Well, you've just given up your offensive advantage. Changing after crossing the red line and dumping the puck in is the only safe/logical way to do it.

You don't change both defense and forwards all at once... Forwards while puck in defensive zone in control, defense when puck is in offensive zone

Wholesale line changes open you up for odd man rushes

Solo

DopeyFish said:
You don't change both defense and forwards all at once... Forwards while puck in defensive zone in control, defense when puck is in offensive zone

I thought this was what we were talking about. This is how most teams do it. Are you saying that the Leafs were changing all 5 at once? That's....different.

DopeyFish said:

Is this a serious post? This is like saying I don't support throwing to wide receivers because the other team expects it.

Socreges

Banned
DopeyFish said:

It is completely unrealistic to expect this to be done every time. Dump-ins for line changes are a necessary evil.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
DopeyFish said:
Schenn might be doing nothing but at least he's not aimlessly throwing the puck up the boards against the flow of his team (I've seen franson do it 3 times this game)

Fucking leafs have to learn this is a possession game, whenever you lose possession you are awarding the other team an opportunity to score - you may also notice that I hate dump ins when the line is changing

This is bush league shit

That isn't anything new, everyone does it as it's an effective way to make your line changes with lower risk.

I'm not sure what you expect them to do exactly?

Solo

Socreges said:
It is completely unrealistic to expect this to be done every time. Dump-ins for line changes are a necessary evil.

Indeed. However, what IS legitimately frustrating (and drives coaches bananas) is when players fail to cross centre ice before dumping it. Boggles the mind how often you see an icing call because some dummy couldn't take one more stride to cross the red line.

Revenant

DopeyFish said:

This is bush league shit

what?

Vega

Pens gaf, I just got home from work. Give me a rundown of what's happening. A lot of wide shots and posts I assume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom