• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
It's been pretty quiet on the Phoenix Coyotes' franchise future front lately, but that may change fairly soon.

At some point in the not-too-distant future, it's expected the NHL will endorse one of two groups that are currently showing some interest in the purchase of the franchise for the purposes of keeping it in Phoenix.
The aim would appear to be to have a signed, sealed and delivered agreement by sometime early in 2012. If that were to happen, it would mark the end of a long, messy saga and the Coyotes could have some degree of stability knowing they're staying put for the foreseeable future.

But if no agreement of that nature is in place in the New Year, there's every reason to believe the league will look at putting the franchise on the open market and, subject to league approval of course, entertain offers from ownership groups who would be buying it to move it elsewhere.

One thing would appear to be certain: This is the last season that the NHL will operate as the caretaker owner and the City of Glendale will underwrite losses. So the Coyotes' franchise will have a new owner next season, it just remains to be seen in which city they play. Obviously, as has been the case all along, the NHL's preference is for that location to be Phoenix.
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=378347

Socreges

Banned
Solo said:
Indeed. However, what IS legitimately frustrating (and drives coaches bananas) is when players fail to cross centre ice before dumping it. Boggles the mind how often you see an icing call because some dummy couldn't take one more stride to cross the red line.
Normally because they were afraid of being checked or hit..... not that it's a good excuse.

Solo

Socreges said:
Normally because they were afraid of being checked or hit..... not that it's a good excuse.

True, but a lot of it is laziness/tiredness too (which is amusing since their laziness/tiredness results in having to stay on the ice), and when you watch a team a lot, you notice certain repeat offenders. I find Kostitsyn on Montreal is guilty of this a lot, and in his case, I know its just laziness.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Epic Tales of Penis said:
Michalek is already a -7 for the Pens. Has he really been that bad so far?

He's been fine, other than falling on his ass and costing us a goal at the beginning of this game.

Solo

Plus minus is one of the most bizarre stats in all of sports. You can be Wayne Gretzky but if your D or goalie or both suck, you're going to have a shitty plus minus. Conversely you can be some scrub nobody, but if you get put on a line with Zetterberg and Datsyuk, you'll have a great number. Totally meaningless stat.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
fallout said:
Yeah, those blatant goalie interference calls sure help.

Let's not pretend like the Pens haven't had a couple bullshit calls thrown at them already. The officiating team isn't exactly killing it tonight.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Vega said:
How was the Engelland- Thorburn fight?

Engelland pounded on him for a while, they danced around trying a get a grip and then the refs broke it up. Thorburn definitely "lost" but he didn't get whooped, it wasn't much of a fight.

Vega

Spire said:
Engelland pounded on him for a while, they danced around trying a get a grip and then the refs broke it up. Thorburn definitely "lost" but he didn't get whooped, it wasn't much of a fight.
Ah cool. I always liked Thorburn. He seemed like a good guy from his short time here.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Epic Tales of Penis said:
5.09 GAA and .858 SV% for Roloson now.

That would have been solid in the 1980s.

Someone out there drafted both Roloson and Craig Anderson for their fantasy team and is weeping right now.

Montresor

Some more thoughts on the Leafs, and then I'll stop.

Gunnarsson looks like a stud. Komisarek is playing decent hockey, finally.

Schenn has looked like garbage every game, and Franson just did not have a good game vs. Colorado. I'd expect Franson to sit instead of Schenn just because Schenn has a much better attitude. Franson complained for a week about being sat and he hasn't completely backed it up yet. Either way, I want Gardiner to get another shot and someone will have to sit for that.

Frattin looks reallly good out there. He's playing good enough to make me think Kadri won't be able to crack the lineup, unless we push Dupuis off the 4th line and slot Kadri in there.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Dump-ins from behind the redline usually come down to one thing - defenders closing in. If you know your opponent is at the end of a shift and needs to dump it for a line change, you can take chances and close him off before he gets a sniff of the center line. Make him leery of the hit and throw it in early for the icing call. I do that shit all time when playing pubs in EA's NHL - a lot of guys out there love to go for those Kovalev-rookie-7-minute-shifts and then wonder why they get stripped.

also wtf Dopey

Vega

Sullivan really needs to break the seal and get a goal. I think I read it's been about 18 or 19 games since he's scored.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Wow, Tampa sucks. Is old man Roloson even going to survive the season?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, if anyone is watching VS, you can see what has become of Tony Amonte. Never knew he was a fatty and had such a big Boston accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom