• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

As much as I was salivating at the possibility of a high draft pick earlier, I couldn't root for them to lose.

But don't worry! They'll no doubt find more ways to disappoint us all over the off season.

JABEE

As much as I was salivating at the possibility of a high draft pick earlier, I couldn't root for them to lose.

Yeah, but they should have instituted the adjustments they made earlier in the season rather than the last three weeks. All it did was create false hope in Laviolette and drop us 8 spots in the Hunt for Seth Jones, Jonathan Drouin, and Nathan MacKinnon.

I still think Weber is traded this off season, but that's just my stupid wishful thinking.

Yeah, but they should have instituted the adjustments they made earlier in the season rather than the last three weeks.

Absolutely yes. Sure, Mason got shelled in the last game, but outside of that the team was so much more successful with a different system.

Var

But don't worry! They'll no doubt find more ways to disappoint us all over the off season.

Same. I really wanted a higher draft pick but I am happy they finished strong. Now I just hope we can make it through the offseason without losing Couturier.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Neither could I, we aren't Penguins fans here.

Same. I really wanted a higher draft pick but I am happy they finished strong. Now I just hope we can make it through the offseason without losing Couturier.

I'm generally not angry when a player gets traded, but if they trade Coots, I will be upset.

If they trade anyone, it should be Read.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yeah, but they should have instituted the adjustments they made earlier in the season rather than the last three weeks. All it did was create false hope in Laviolette and drop us 8 spots in the Hunt for Seth Jones, Jonathan Drouin, and Nathan MacKinnon.

I still think Weber is traded this off season, but that's just my stupid wishful thinking.

I can't imagine the Preds shelling out that much in bonuses and trading him right after that.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
EDIT: Habs have 3 or 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, but I'd cream my pants if we sold a few of them to move up to get Drouin.
If Bergevin can use our picks + one or more of Thrower, Dietz, Ellis, Pateryn to move up into the top 10 I would be game, unless like I've said before Timmins has his eye on guys in the later rounds. Never bet against Timmins.

Chris R

Avs can't really do much worse next season. They were looking pretty good in a few games this season as well.

What are the prospects/drafts for next season looking like?

Avs can't really do much worse next season. They were looking pretty good in a few games this season as well.

What are the prospects/drafts for next season looking like?

We'll be much better next season. We can get a real coach in now, have a real training camp and realign management. Eric Lacroix left and I'm fully expecting Sakic to be appointed a more hands on position within management.

Curufinwe

I can't imagine the Preds shelling out that much in bonuses and trading him right after that.

If Nashville pay Weber $27 million for one season where they miss the playoffs then trade him, everyone in their front office should be fired. Out of a cannon.

The Preds are a bad team going nowhere. If they could get several good players and retool I cant see why it would be so terrible for them. Having Weber didnt get them into the playoffs this year.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The Preds are a bad team going nowhere. If they could get several good players and retool I cant see why it would be so terrible for them. Having Weber didnt get them into the playoffs this year.

Flyers first in 2013 , Matt Read and Andrej Mezaros for Weber.

LOLOLOLOL

I'm kidding, that'd be stupid.

Oh god, I'm giving them ideas, ABORT ABORT

The awards are coming in..

Ovechkin wins Rocket Richard.

Crawford and Emery combined to win the Jennings.

Martin St Louis with the Fart Ross trophy.

If Nashville pay Weber $27 million for one season where they miss the playoffs then trade him, everyone in their front office should be fired. Out of a cannon.

There's no way he's going anywhere now. After the frontloaded death section of the contract, he's a bargain.

Our beatwriter is defending Sacco like he was mistreated while he was here. I just want this shit behind the team. Hopefully Pierre Lacroix walks just like his son did and Sakic gets his job. Sherman can stay where he is for now, I'll never forgive him for the Shattenkirk trade but that's about it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Saw on HFboards:

"Reporter- We feel we are close to the return of the Quebec Nordiques?

Marcel Aubut: Do not doubt anymore.

Aubut did not specify a time, but the question specified "close to the return "

Also, Mario Roy stating he talked with people close to some teams executives, learned the annoucement regarding the Coyotes future will come with strictly no warning, liek a thunderbolt, very soon. League learned from the Thrashers sale."

Socreges

Banned
The NHL must have a contingency alignment in place in the event that Phoenix goes to the East. No idea what it would be, though.

Quick

Banned
The NHL must have a contingency alignment in place in the event that Phoenix goes to the East. No idea what it would be, though.

Easy way to do it is to have either Columbus or Detroit move back to the West to balance it out to the current format of 14/16 West/East. Otherwise, make Quebec play in the West until they figure it out, or do another re-alignment before the season starts.

Socreges

Banned
Easy way to do it is to have either Columbus or Detroit move back to the West to balance it out to the current format of 14/16 West/East. Otherwise, make Quebec play in the West until they figure it out, or do another re-alignment before the season starts.
Man, travel is bad enough for Western teams without having to come from the East Coast. They would never force Quebec to play in the West. Unsustainable.

I don't think they'd bring Detroit back. Columbus is definitely the most likely option, imo.

Quick

Banned
Man, travel is bad enough for Western teams without having to come from the East Coast. They would never force Quebec to play in the West. Unsustainable.

I don't think they'd bring Detroit back. Columbus is definitely the most likely option, imo.

Haha, yeah. I was partly joking with having them play out west. That would be pretty stupid on the NHL's part. It's not like they're playing in the Central division like Detroit and Columbus currently where they keep close enough to the eastern time zone.

Wow I just saw the Bryz interview from yesterday. LOL at him asking the reporters what have they ever done for the city. Going somewhere with less media coverage would do him a lot of good.

Wow I just saw the Bryz interview from yesterday. LOL at him asking the reporters what have they ever done for the city. Going somewhere with less media coverage would do him a lot of good.

Nah, he's gonna be a headcase wherever. They had problems with him in Phoenix too. It was just that no one was paying attention so no one noticed.

He's a fine goalie, but he has to learn that part of his job is the off-ice stuff too. He seems to always neglect how much he gets paid, which sort of makes him more accountable for failure.

I'd be curious to know what his upbringing was like. He seems very entitled at times, but still certainly makes some really good points. It's just a very interesting point of view/dynamic with the city and beat writers.

Heh reading up on the prospects, Nurse is the nephew of McNabb. Pretty cool, two of the top 10 prospects are related to a basketball and football star.

Curufinwe

The league are dumb enough to think 16/14 is fair, so they probably think 17/13 would be fine, too.

I can only hope Quebec replacing Phoenix would force them to redo the alignment with balanced Conferences like this. Detroit would move to the Central and Quebec would replace them in the Northeast. This guy's plan is so much better than the crap the NHL came up with.

realignment+1.jpg

http://hockeyuniverse.blogspot.com/2013/02/how-nhl-realignment-should-be-done.html

Regular season: I offer a slightly simpler solution than the NHL, but still unavoidably confusing:

7 team divisions:
6 games against division teams (6 teams*6 games=36 games)
2 games against all non-division teams (23 teams*2 games=46 games)
36 games+46 games=82 games.

8 team divisions:
5 games against division teams (7 teams*5games=35 games)
2 games against all non-division teams (22 teams*2games=44 games)
35 games+44 games=79 games
An extra game will be played against 3 division teams, rotating yearly, for a total of 82 games.

Playoffs:

Top 4 teams in each division qualify (8 from East, 8 from West). Those 8 teams are then seeded 1-8, and the playoff structure as we know it commences.
This allows for a wider range of playoff match-ups, as well as the possibility of two rival teams playing for the chance to go to the Cup Finals (Devils-Rangers last season, which wouldn't be possible under the NHL's proposed playoff format).

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

It's not his fault the media here is fucking stupid and has zero clue about hockey.

It's not his fault the media here is fucking stupid and has zero clue about hockey.

Except he takes no responsibility himself either. He doesn't seem to get that they HAVE asked some reasonable questions and he's refused to answer.

Such as: Hey Bryz, you account for almost 10% of the team's cap. Most players who earn that much are expected to be perennial contenders for major awards like the Vezina, Hart, Selke etc, but your numbers could never justify that. Do you think you've performed below reasonable expectations?

calder

0.8% chance at the lottery?

dumbtheresachance.gif

It's a shame we can't move up into the top 6 (other than Oilering #1) because there's a ton of forwards who we could really use.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Except he takes no responsibility himself either. He doesn't seem to get that they HAVE asked some reasonable questions and he's refused to answer.

Such as: Hey Bryz, you account for almost 10% of the team's cap. Most players who earn that much are expected to be perennial contenders for major awards like the Vezina, Hart, Selke etc, but your numbers could never justify that. Do you think you've performed below reasonable expectations?

I do agree he's not playing up to snuff; but unfortunately, his cap/contract is due to Snider wanting to catch his White Whale.

Vokun was available and is pretty much the same type of goalie as Bryz AND was cheaper.

I think the media goes out of their way to suck his dick most of the time. All year they have been saying it isnt his fault, and even now that Mason has shown he is mostly to blame they still dont bury him like they could. People are interested to hear his thoughts on the season, I have no idea why that warranted such a freakout from him.

Sabres confirm Darcy Regier isn't being fired. No decision on coaching yet.

lol there's some salty reporter questions in this press conference.

Osorio

Lou confirmed today we're keeping our first round pick.

Lou also confirmed Pete DeBoer has nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom