• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT2| The Teemu Selanne Sweepstakes

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I hope someone gives him a swift kick in the nads this season

Does anyone here sleep with a fan/white noise in the background while they sleep to mask their tinnitus? My ears are ringing like a motherfucker right now

I do the fan thing year round. Partly because I'm never cold enough and partly because of the sound. Can't sleep in complete silence.

I second this man.

Homer then said that he gets pissed when people suggest that we have a crappy defense.

Paul Holmgren everybody

also found this interesting:

A question was then asked if Pronger would ever play again and Homer said he doesn’t think so and that he has been taking different roles with the team to stay occupied but has so many health issues that it is hard for him to even do that.

Flyers aren't even trying to hide it at this point

Boston aren't trying to hide Savard's status either. There's no reason to.

They aren't parading him around the draft floor and then saying things out loud like "he's not going to play again and he has a hard time doing off ice things"

When was the last time Boston said anything about Savard?

Let's be honest here, he's never gonna play again, nor is he making any attempt to come back. If that's the case, better to say something along the lines of "we'll see he's trying everyday" as opposed to essentially "nope, we tried to have him do office work but he can't even do that"

Curufinwe

I don't really see what your problem is with Pronger doing some limited front office work for the Flyers.

Both players will never play again and will likely remain on LTIR for another four seasons.

I don't really see what your problem is with Pronger doing some limited front office work for the Flyers.

Both players will never play again and will likely remain on LTIR for another four seasons.

He can't even do the front office work is what Holgrem said. If he can't do that, how is he making a legitimate attempt at a comeback?

The difference between Savard and Pronger is that the Flyers have him in the public eye. If they are going to try and circumvent the cap they should probably be a bit more stealthy about it.

Let's be honest here, he's never gonna play again, nor is he making any attempt to come back. If that's the case, better to say something along the lines of "we'll see he's trying everyday" as opposed to essentially "nope, we tried to have him do office work but he can't even do that"

How is he supposed to make an attempt to come back? He can't even play ball with his kids.

I don't think they're parading him around for the sake of proving he can't play hockey. He lost everything overnight with that injury. I'm sure that if he didn't feel like being involved, he wouldn't be. The Flyers are known for looking out for their own. I doubt they're strong arming him into being in front of the camera and being involved around the office. He probably wants to be useful, so they're letting him in whatever capacity he's able.

edit: They're not circumventing the cap. The rule was put in place to stop teams from signing players that had no intention of playing the final years on the contract to lower their cap hit: not to penalize teams who have players who suffered career ending injuries.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Needed a hockey fix, applied to EA.

It was kind of difficult to work my hockey knowledge into my resume/cover letter though.

EA Burnaby is a beautiful campus/complex though. Good luck.

Isn't NHL made by EA Montreal or something though?

How is he supposed to make an attempt to come back? He can't even play ball with his kids.

I don't think they're parading him around for the sake of proving he can't play hockey. He lost everything overnight with that injury. I'm sure that if he didn't feel like being involved, he wouldn't be. The Flyers are known for looking out for their own. I doubt they're strong arming him into being in front of the camera and being involved around the office. He probably wants to be useful, so they're letting him in whatever capacity he's able.

edit: They're not circumventing the cap. The rule was put in place to stop teams from signing players that had no intention of playing the final years on the contract to lower their cap hit: not to penalize teams who have players who suffered career ending injuries.

That's the point. Players that are put on LTIR are supposed to be actively trying to come back. LTIR has nothing to do with back diving contracts.

imBask

Banned

pretty sure it's EA Vancouver

although they don't actually work on the game, they just update de roster every year and put an old feature back in with a "BRAND NEW FEATURE" stamp, instead of fixing the fucking menus and bugs

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

pretty sure it's EA Vancouver

although they don't actually work on the game, they just update de roster every year and put an old feature back in with a "BRAND NEW FEATURE" stamp, instead of fixing the fucking menus and bugs
It's EA Vancouver for sure. They had a team in Halifax work on the PS2 and PC versions of NHL 09 though, I had a friend who worked on it.

Players that are put on LTIR are supposed to be actively trying to come back..

The CBA his contract was signed under states that LTIR applies to players who are unable to perform his duties as a hockey player (as deemed the Club's physician) for at least 24 calendar days and 10 regular season games. If the League disagrees with the physician, they can challenge and have a neutral physician make the call. It continues until the player is deemed fit to play.

As written, it is designed for players under contract who can't play long term. Pronger clearly can't play. I admittedly just skimmed over the old CBA section for it, but I'm missing any articles or illustrations saying that the player has to actively be trying to come back--it just says that when the physician deems him eligible to play that the LTIR status would no longer apply.

Career ending injuries shouldn't screw over teams when the player had intended to play through the rest of their contract. It'd be cap circumvention if they hadn't planned on playing through the full contract per the 35+ rule, but given the injury we never got to that point to see what he would've done.

(this is just based off the 50.10.d section. If I'm missing something from somewhere else, I'll shut up.)

I thought your avatar was the LA Kings logo :lol

...me too. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked. Godamn upside down house trickery.

That a player could suffer a career ending injury is part of the risk you assume by signing a player to a contract. LTIR isn't a safety net for these situations. If god forbid Pronger passed away at some point, the flyers would be stuck with his cap hit.

Curufinwe

He can't even do the front office work is what Holgrem said. If he can't do that, how is he making a legitimate attempt at a comeback?

The difference between Savard and Pronger is that the Flyers have him in the public eye. If they are going to try and circumvent the cap they should probably be a bit more stealthy about it.

Why should they do that? Using LTIR for a player too badly injured to play again is not cap circumvention and the league has shown no intention of changing the rules to make it so. They could have done so as part of the new CBA if they thought it was a problem.

That's the point. Players that are put on LTIR are supposed to be actively trying to come back.

Please point me to the clause in the CBA which specifies what constitutes "actively trying to come back".

http://www.nhlpa.com/inside-nhlpa/collective-bargaining-agreement

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
BREAKING: Ex Sarnia Sting GM and coach Jacques Beaulieu and his hockey player son, Nathan, plead guilty to assaulting two men. #ldnont

The Beaulieus assaulted two Starthroy men after a day of drinking on the golf course and while playing hockey in a friend's garage. #ldnont

Both men received conditional discharges with 9 months probation. More later at http://t.co/vKTvhioyZt. #ldnont

I'm expecting to wake up to Beaulieu traded tomorrow for bag of pucks with character, or maybe Bergevin will give him an 8 year contract extension seeing as he's proven he can fight.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm expecting to wake up to Beaulieu traded tomorrow for bag of pucks with character, or maybe Bergevin will give him an 8 year contract extension seeing as he's proven he can fight.

I think even despite his character fixation, Bergevin's aware of his potential, or he would have been traded by now.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think even despite his character fixation, Bergevin's aware of his potential, or he would have been traded by now.
Yea I was joking, Beaulieu's ceiling is too high. If they trade him it will be in a package for a big forward. Still really stupid shit from him and his dad with Nathan being in the NHL now.

Why should they do that? Using LTIR for a player too badly injured to play again is not cap circumvention and the league has shown no intention of changing the rules to make it so. They could have done so as part of the new CBA if they thought it was a problem.

Please point me to the clause in the CBA which specifies what constitutes "actively trying to come back".

LTIR is supposed to be an emergency cap relief. The promise you make is that eventually the player will be healthy enough to play again. Again, Pronger dies and they can't place his cap space on LTIR. his career would be over, no longer able to play.

Curufinwe

I think you need to actually read the section on LTIR starting on page 290 instead of just assuming it is what you want it to be because a couple of rival teams have players who suffered career ending injuries.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yea I was joking, Beaulieu's ceiling is too high. If they trade him it will be in a package for a big forward. Still really stupid shit from him and his dad with Nathan being in the NHL now.

Yeah I'm still worried he'll be traded, but I really hope he isn't. He's definitely a dumbass though.

I think you need to actually read the section on LTIR starting on page 290 instead of just assuming it is what you want it to be because a couple of rival teams have players who suffered career ending injuries.

Not really. Is Prongers career over? If so then he shouldn't be getting the benefit of LTIR. It's pretty cut and dry. Injuries are part of the game, that's the risk you take signing any player.

calder

TI3 was honestly one of the most exciting and entertaining sporting events this year. Following Orange through the lower bracket was amazing.

Yep, totally on board the Orange bandwagaon for next year. Mushi #1 <3 4 ever. (sorry Dendi)

The crowd support they got in Malaysia alone would make Orange an easy team to root for.

Yellow baby.

BIJxFUt.jpg

Swaggy.

The Great Sea of Piss.

Not really. Is Prongers career over? If so then he shouldn't be getting the benefit of LTIR. It's pretty cut and dry.

The CBA does make it pretty cut and dry, but not the way you're claiming. It specifically defines the parameters of LTIR, and Pronger qualifies.

Even if it was just a technical qualification, but violated the spirit of the status, wouldn't it have come up in the new CBA?

Curufinwe

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-long-term-injured-reserve-LTIR-work

The assumption is that EVENTUALLY, the player will be healthy. Pronger is never going to be healthy enough to play hockey again.

That quote is not from the CBA. The NHL is not bound or governed by your inference of an assumption made by the capgeek website.

I wonder if Brad Richards were to suffer a career ending injury this season and the Rangers were going to be stuck with his $6.67 million cap hit for the rest of the decade, if you would be quite so keen to have LTIR function in the way you are proposing.

The assumption is that EVENTUALLY, the player will be healthy. Pronger is never going to be healthy enough to play hockey again.

That's an assumption derived from CapGeek's wording. I didn't see it under the the old CBA.

In the new CBA:

"A Club may then exceed the Upper Limit due to the
addition of replacement Player Salary and Bonuses of Players who have
replaced an unfit-to-play Player, provided, however, that when the unfit-to-play Player is once again fit to play(including any period such Player is
on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan to
another league), the Club shall be required to once again reduce its
Averaged Club Salary to a level at or below the Upper Limit prior to the
Player being able to rejoin the Club."

The "is" does seem to presume that the player will be able to play again, and is probably what CapGeek got the line from. It keeps going, though. In the very next section, it includes:

"However, if the unfit-to-play Player once again becomes fit to play"

No assumption here. That is a big if that would not have been included if they had wanted cases like Pronger/Savard to not be included under LTIR.

edit: What Curufinwe said.

That quote is not from the CBA. The NHL is not bound or governed by your inference of an assumption made by the capgeek website.

I wonder if Brad Richards were to suffer a career ending injury this season and the Rangers were going to be stuck with his $6.67 million cap hit for the rest of the decade, if you would be quite so keen to have LTIR function in the way you are proposing.

LTIR isn't an insurance policy against career ending injuries like you think it is.
Rangers should sleep in the bed they made. That's the risk they took by signing Richards to that contract. It would suck but it is what it is. Flyers signed Pronger as a 35 year old. Him getting a career ending injury during that contract wasn't a surprise. It was part of the risk the Flyers assumed by signing him. He gets hits by a bus tomorrow (Ed note: i hope to god that doesn't ever happen), the Flyers take the full cap hit for the next 4 years. No LTIR, because his career would be over.

LTIR isn't an insurance policy against career ending injuries like you think it is.
Rangers should sleep in the bed they made. That's the risk they took by signing Richards to that contract. It would suck but it is what it is. Flyers signed Pronger as a 35 year old. Him getting a career ending injury during that contract wasn't a surprise. It was part of the risk the Flyers assumed by signing him. He gets hits by a bus tomorrow (Ed note: i hope to god that doesn't ever happen), the Flyers take the full cap hit for the next 4 years. No LTIR, because his career would be over.

There'd be no LTIR because he would no longer be a player under contract eligible for LTIR, being dead.

I understand where you're coming from, but the LTIR rules as written don't include the spirit you say it does. I'm not saying it shouldn't, but it's not in the CBA.

Curufinwe

LTIR is exactly what it says it is the CBA. It wasn't changed for the new CBA and will continue to function as it has in the past. If it bothers you so much maybe you can make it your career goal to be involved with writing the new CBA 10 years from now.

Pronger's career ending injury was as surprising as any other player who was unfortunate enough to get hit in the eye with a stick or puck. It had nothing to do with his age.

LTIR is exactly what it says it is the CBA. It wasn't changed for the new CBA and will continue to function as it has in the past. If it bothers you so much maybe you can make it your career goal to be involved with writing the new CBA 10 years from now.

It certainly does. It's for long term injuries, not career ending ones. The player death situation makes that all the more apparent.

Curufinwe

I think the league would take a dead player off the salary cap since he would no longer be under contract. Hopefully it will never come to that.

Curufinwe

Nope, it counts if its a 35+ contract.

What are you basing that claim on?

I think this is the relevant section starting on page 249, but you could easily argue that a dead player would no longer earning salary or bonuses. Instead, his family would be receiving insurance payments.

All Player Salary and Bonuses earned in a League Year by a Player who is
in the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was signed when the
Player was age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the League Year in
which the SPC is to be effective), regardless of whether, or where, the
Player is playing, except to the extent the Player is playing under his SPC
in the minor leagues, in which case only the Player Salary and Bonuses in
excess of $100,000 shall count towards the calculation of Actual Club
Salary; plus

Curufinwe

Anyone here affected by this?

http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-confirmed-markets

Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available. To do that, and in order to meet demand, we have adjusted the number of markets that will receive Xbox One in November to 13 markets, including Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and New Zealand, in November.

We remain committed to launching Xbox One in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, as soon as possible in 2014.

Top Bottom