• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT2| The Teemu Selanne Sweepstakes

Curufinwe

I enjoyed this bit of honesty. I wonder if there are other older players who that will happen to... while looking it up I noticed that Mattias Ohlund hasn't played since 2011 but will count $3.6m against Tamp Bay's cap for another three seasons. No wonder they felt they had to buyout Vinny.

“When I did my last contract for four years ending in the (2012-13) season, I was asked to help the team manage the salary cap by adding on a extra year to my contract. I agreed. Each side fully expected I would retire and not play the 2012-13 season,”

Cake Boss

Banned
lol now the OttawaSun took down the article,

JP. Barry responds to the article thats taken down.

"The fact is this was a negotiation concerning impending free agency," Barry said. "We made multiple offers and invited them to negotiate. They provided a number on the weekend prior to July 5 and said this is all they can do due to internal budget restrictions."

"It wasn't a market offer in our estimation. They wanted Daniel to take a below market deal again after he had done the same several times previously and we didn't feel that was appropriate.

"Daniel and I spoke every day during the process at length. Essentially, the Senators wanted us to present lower offers to them and that is not how the process works."

LOL, what a shit show.

Thanks Melnyk, put your forensics to work and let them investigate wtf happened here.

Gatdamn that Landy contract ain't fuckin' around. Good to limit distractions for these guys next season.

5.57 a year, I don't know if he deserves that with no bridge contract, but at least the Avs aren't being cheap. It would seem they are comparing his potential to Dustin Brown, both captains and will probably put up similar numbers.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah he doesn't deserve such a massive contract. They're focusing a whole lot on his potential. Could end up being a bargain deal, but it's pretty risky.

I really like Landeskog, but it's a pretty big gamble. He hasn't proven much and has already been out with a concussion. If he's healthy and producing, it could be great in a few years down the road with the cap going up, but if he isn't...

They're going to have a nice core going forward, though, even if they lose ROR.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm really looking forward to see Alfie in a Wings jersey this year, I think this team could do really well this year in the standings and a deep playoff push.

I just want Nyquist signed. The idea that they're toying with giving the guy only a 1-year contract is nuts.

Cake Boss

Banned
League sources confirmed to the Sun Thursday the Senators have tabled an eight-year, $28-million offer — an average of $3.5 million per season — to Cowen’s camp.

wat? the fuck did he do to deserve an 8 year contract?

Silexx

gave Skinner a concussion.

dislocated Max "Better than Ryan" Pacioretty's shoulder in Game 1.

With his injury history, I have to believe that he's got be seriously weighing the risk-reward in signing a shorter term and hope to score a bigger deal down the road.

EDIT: By that I mean the risk would on the higher side if signing in the short term.

Metalmarc

Noob here, started this thread a few weeks ago http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=635556&page=1

Decided to go with the Pittsburgh Penguins, purely because I'm welsh, and read about the welsh settlers from the UK, going to pittsburgh in the 1830's, so they had to be my team

Also gonna keep an eye on our british EIHL and follow the cardiff devils, because theyre the closest team to home and that way i Should get a chance to catch a few live games, maybe one day i could then make my goal getting to pittsburgh to watch a game (and holiday in the USA which would be a dream come true)

Looking forward to my first season coming up, just trying to read up on hockey, getting used to the terms and rules there's so many i doubt i'll ever pick it up

Any good Hockey websites to bookmark besides the Pens Official page and NHL.com? Or are those the only ones i need

Also any decent books to read about hockey? I have Total Penguins and 100 Things pens fans should do/know before they die. Seriously i was thinking of buying a Dummies guide to hockey, but im not sure if thats only for people who want to play the sport as opposed to watching it.

any dvds/blurays to watch especially on the history of hockey

At the moment i have subbed to the NHL history channel someone created on youtube and im trying to make my way through the vids on there.

Cake Boss

Banned
Noob here, started this thread a few weeks ago http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=635556&page=1

Decided to go with the Pittsburgh Penguins, .

iiVZ2wXUBxdWq.gif

ShaneB

any dvds/blurays to watch especially on the history of hockey

Welcome! I remember your thread and was wondering when you'd show up here. :p Can't really say I care for your choice of team, heh, but at least you'll get familiar with Sidney Crosby, often regarded as the best player in hockey, so you'll see some dazzling stuff during the season I am sure.

I'll look into some books for you to read, since there are really a mountain of them to check out, Ken Dryden's book 'The Game' is highly regarded at least, so that should be on your list.

As for the quoted, I highly recommend watching 'Hockey: A People's History" It was a 10 part series that really covers a pretty grand spectrum of Hockey throughout the ages, with a lot of focus on the beginnings of it all. You can find all of it on youtube. Here is the first part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlAaaCqEWw The uploader has all the parts on his channel.

Metalmarc

Welcome! I remember your thread and was wondering when you'd show up here. :p Can't really say I care for your choice of team, heh, but at least you'll get familiar with Sidney Crosby, often regarded as the best player in hockey, so you'll see some dazzling stuff during the season I am sure.

I'll look into some books for you to read, since there are really a mountain of them to check out, Ken Dryden's book 'The Game' is highly regarded at least, so that should be on your list.

As for the quoted, I highly recommend watching 'Hockey: A People's History" It was a 10 part series that really covers a pretty grand spectrum of Hockey throughout the ages, with a lot of focus on the beginnings of it all. You can find all of it on youtube. Here is the first part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlAaaCqEWw The uploader has all the parts on his channel.

Thanks man will watch that tommorow

Samyy

Ha ha

But it's a start, hopefully when my nephew grows up i can get him into hockey too

Hockey is a fun sport to follow and regardless of how anyone really feels about Pittsburgh in this thread at the very least they'll be making the playoffs for the foreseeable future and be close to contending so it should be good fun for you!

Welcome :)

Metalmarc

Hockey is a fun sport to follow and regardless of how anyone really feels about Pittsburgh in this thread at the very least they'll be making the playoffs for the foreseeable future and be close to contending so it should be good fun for you!

Welcome :)

Thanks

ShaneB

Thanks man will watch that tommorow

As a footnote, that documentary is oddly structured in that it's about hockey history of course, but also since it is Canadian produced, it does focus a fair amount on how Hockey was influencing Canada/Canadian history as well, hence the "A People's History" part. Still though, I think you'd really like it.

If you're looking for a more recent hockey game to watch or something, it's easy to recommend the Gold Medal Game from the 2010 Olympics.

Top Bottom