• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT2| The Teemu Selanne Sweepstakes

fallout

Open world racing is a mixed bag of fun and frustration
I always felt that the highs far outweighed the lows. In fact, part of the frustrations you could experience created some interesting emergent (wish I had a better word) situations. I think the problem is that when people buy a "racer", they have certain expectations about the ebb and flow of what that game is supposed to be like. When you upset that formula, it's difficult for people to adapt. This is a problem with a lot of genres and for games that try to do things differently.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I always felt that the highs far outweighed the lows. In fact, part of the frustrations you could experience created some interesting emergent (wish I had a better word) situations. I think the problem is that when people buy a "racer", they have certain expectations about the ebb and flow of what that game is supposed to be like. When you upset that formula, it's difficult for people to adapt. This is a problem with a lot of genres and for games that try to do things differently.

I like open world racing in general, I platinum'd Paradise.

But the issue for me is having to watch a mini map or a distant icon instead of the road. Makes things a little more hectic and can kill the fun if its a frustrating event. Reminds me of Splinter Cell and other "keep doing it over until you have the patterns memorized" kinda games.

fallout

But the issue for me is having to watch a mini map or a distant icon instead of the road. Makes things a little more hectic and can kill the fun if its a frustrating event. Reminds me of Splinter Cell and other "keep doing it over until you have the patterns memorized" kinda games.
*nod*

Wasn't sure what kind of frustrations you meant. There's certainly some room for improvement in that regard, but you have to be careful about it. There is something fun about learning the area and all the little ins and outs which can help you win a race.

Marvie_3

Banned
Trust me, I know :(

You know what was an awesome open-world racing game? NFS: Underground 2. (only 2 had open world, I think? 1 was great too, though). Definitely my favourite NFS games.
Correct. Those games were fun as hell but the rubber band AI was total fucking bullshit.

Silexx

James Gordon (@SensReporter) tweeted at 0:35 PM on Fri, Aug 16, 2013:
If the Senators' financial situation is of interest to you, you're gonna want to pick up the Saturday Citizen

May or may not validate what Yost has whining about for a while now, but even if it does, it'll be no reason to pat himself on the back.

Cake Boss

Banned
Racing games are the Nashville Predators of gaming. Who gives a shit?

shut your hole boy.

256px-PGR4boxart.jpg

My racing game of this gen.

Also lol Melnyk.

Osorio

It's truly amazing that after years of fighting for a renovation, Wang gave up and moved the Isles to Brooklyn, then immediately they announce a new partner to renovate the damn Coliseum.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...-events-center-to-renovate-coliseum-1.5897194

Who's gonna play in this "thriving sports event center"? Arena Football and Major League Lacrosse aren't gonna fill that place. Isles will likely get 6 games a year there, combo of regular and preseaon

I still don't understand how the Isles are gonna survive in a 14,500 seat arena. Then they'll play in a 13,000 seat arena a few times a year?

Fei

I still don't understand how the Isles are gonna survive in a 14,500 seat arena. Then they'll play in a 13,000 seat arena a few times a year?

They'll be fine if they can fill it. I think Winnipeg plays in an arena about the same size. Plus that TV market.

Osorio

They'll be fine if they can fill it. I think Winnipeg plays in an arena about the same size. Plus that TV market.

Winnipeg has 500 extra seats but less suites I'm guessing.

Now that I think about it the Isles have really high ticket prices for their performance the last 20 years and they still average over 13k.

I'd imagine for most Isles fans it'll be ticket plan or bust.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Too bad it wasn't day 1 with the full game release. Going to play as far as I can in the single player in the mean time.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Too bad it wasn't day 1 with the full game release. Going to play as far as I can in the single player in the mean time.

I actually like it this way. Time to play singleplayer/explore and not accidentally get spoilered by tools in MP.

Razorskin

----- ------
For GTA V I'll eitherget the game in december for PS3 or earlier IF the PC version comes out near or before then (lol yeah right)

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Winnipeg has 500 extra seats but less suites I'm guessing.

Now that I think about it the Isles have really high ticket prices for their performance the last 20 years and they still average over 13k.

I'd imagine for most Isles fans it'll be ticket plan or bust.

Bingo.

RC

Banned
So in Battlefield 3 instead of loading the game when I click play, it opens up a new browser tab, where I have to click play, again.

Fuck it, I'm going back to UT2004.

Silexx

Not exactly. As it is, the Senators are a sustainable operation as the value of the team has accrued Melnyk positive capital from when he originally bought the team. The issue is that Melnyk seems to have been struggling to secure some financing for the team's debt due to a variety of factors, which the lockout played no small part.

Put it this way, Melnyk bought the team at $127 million. The article speculates that he lost $94million over his ownership, however if we value the team at $300 million (which seems to be general consensus), then the team has been a worthwhile endeavour for Melnyk.

His main concerns right now are seeing his start-ups that he's invested in, finally pay out so that he feels more comfortable in dumping money itno the team and paying down the debt.

Melnyk could very well spend to the cap if he wanted to, but he chooses not to in part because a) he wants to restrict the losses he is incurring on team operations b) he now believes in developing talent rather than purchasing it.

Top Bottom