• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT2| - Dan Cleary

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yes Red, because a few people reflect the entire group.
Please don't make that mistake.

Its like me saying im anti-MSM because of Dreger/Simmons/Healy/Stock
I'm speaking specifically of the twitter / blogger analytics group. Almost all of them come off in an arrogant fashion. They're not wrong, but the way a lot of them go about trying to impart their knowledge is typically in a talk down to you kind of way.

Var

I'm speaking specifically of the twitter / blogger analytics group. Almost all of them come off in an arrogant fashion. They're not wrong, but the way a lot of them go about trying to impart their knowledge is typically in a talk down to you kind of way.

100% agree.

Samyy

100% agree.

Im going to essentially paraphrase Steve Dangle who explained that many years ago when analytics was in its infancy a lot of these guys were much more passive and willing to share their findings with people. Unfortunately, MSM laughed at them, ridiculed them with terms like "basement blogger", "stats nerds' etc and essentially dismissed ideas they poured hundreds if not thousands of hours into formulating.

Obviously they've had to grow more defensive over time as a result, just look at their mentions at any given day and you'll find people harassing them, etc.

And again, your putting every single analytics guy on twitter under one umbrella again, when that stereotype really mainly only applies to mchockey79, so way to go.

I mean, look at Eric Tolsky, Steven Burtch, just two quick example of guys who just do their work and don't get caught up in that stuff.

Heretic

We here at Dopeystats treat each and everyone with respect. We pride ourselves in bringing meaningful statistics in a non-arrogant fashion. We're never wrong but we will impart our knowledge by talking to you eye to eye. We will never speak to you as if we're looking down on you.

Dopeystats. Because we Care.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Obviously they've had to grow more defensive over time as a result, just look at their mentions at any given day and you'll find people harassing them, etc.

And again, your putting every single analytics guy on twitter under one umbrella again, when that stereotype really mainly only applies to mchockey79, so way to go.
Huh? I can easily name more analytic bloggers on twitter who are incredibly condescending than not. I don't know why you're getting so defensive about this, I'm not discrediting their work, it's just their way of going about it is definitely off putting to a lot of people and I can see why, and getting harassed by idiots all day is no reason to start acting like a prick to everyone.

zroid

Banned
The most important takeaway here is that Simmons continues to be a 100% disingenuous jackass. I am positive his stance has always been anti-analytics -- of couse now that all of his boyfriends in the league have begun taking them seriously, along with many of his readers, he's conveniently changing the message to make it seem like he's always given stats a fair shake.

ysEyQdE.jpg

I'm dying hahaha
Dude isn't even annoying anymore, hes just sad. Pathetic and sad.

I should save that tweet and read it for when Gunnarsson is racking points next year.

Also Nonis said on Leafs lunch today that Dubas is a hockey guy who understands analytics and not the other way around. Definitely what the leafs need.

Samyy

Huh? I can easily name more analytic bloggers on twitter who are incredibly condescending than not. I don't know why you're getting so defensive about this, I'm not discrediting their work, it's just their way of going about it is definitely off putting to a lot of people and I can see why, and getting harassed by idiots all day is no reason to start acting like a prick to everyone.

Lets just agree to disagree, pointless to argue about anything Simmons says.

Oilers hired Dellows, who was one of their fiercest critics.

Keep your friends close and all that ... ;)

Difference between criticizing the team and criticizing the owner, implying he's broke.

No one's as petty as him, he called the mayor of Ottawa an alien.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
That's my response to 90% of all threads.

Only I'd get banned for posting it.

Smiley90

Why aren't their servers up like the upcoming EA SPORTS™ NHL® 15 sports video game, I wonder?

Must not be ready like EA SPORTS™ NHL® 15 is.

Ready for another 2 years of development, yes

... or really, any kind of development.

so stoked to return the game as soon as it gets here.

Smiley90

So spoilers and NHL 15 are my thing for life. Got it.

basically.

Hi, I'm the resident racist, nice to meet you.

zedge is the resident furry

TUSR is the resident brony/anime-lover

Beez is your son

wild fans are pedos

... did I miss anything obvious?

Top Bottom