• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT2| - Dan Cleary

Generally, the more popular something is, the more people want to get involved with it. And when you have more people interested in something you're bound to pick up bandwagoners and casual fans who know next to nothing about it.

I'm all for more interest in hockey, as long as they keep their asinine opinions to themselves.

HkL5roz.png

They had that last year too I think :lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Would a second team in Toronto work? Will Leafs fans just change teams at some point? I guess you had a somewhat similar situation in the NYC area with the creations of the Isles and Devils. Forty years later, and those teams still struggle living in the shadow of the Rangers.

Just look at Ottawa. They struggle a bunch primarily because they're wedged inbetween Montréal and Toronto's footprint.

Sure, Toronto has like 7 million more people than Ottawa in the immediate area... they'd surely carve out their fan base... but it takes generations of fans to find continued success.

Misery is also part of the fun of being a leafs fan, to be honest. Since everything about the team is so public... you find enjoyment in the failures but relish their success.

It's like a soap opera, they're either good or so bad they're good.

Toronto 2 would likely never replicate the kind of attention the Leafs get.

The radio in Vegas is blowing up about them getting an NHL team. The host now on 1100 is saying he knows behind the scene stuff and it is 100% going to happen.

Quick

Banned
Someone lock Bettman in his office and take away anything that will allow him to authorize and finalize these expansions.

Socreges

Banned
Vegas Slot Jockies

Just look at Ottawa. They struggle a bunch primarily because they're wedged inbetween Montréal and Toronto's footprint.

Sure, Toronto has like 7 million more people than Ottawa in the immediate area... they'd surely carve out their fan base... but it takes generations of fans to find continued success.

Misery is also part of the fun of being a leafs fan, to be honest. Since everything about the team is so public... you find enjoyment in the failures but relish their success.

It's like a soap opera, they're either good or so bad they're good.

Toronto 2 would likely never replicate the kind of attention the Leafs get.
My God you will spin ANYTHING

Var

What annoys you most about fans of your team who post elsewhere?

For me the Flyers fans on Facebook who want to trade Coburn with no realistic plan to bring in an equal or better defender are the worst, followed by the people who think Rinaldo is a useful player despite all the statistical evidence to the contrary.

"Giroux hasn't scored in four games. Why is he captain?"

Remaldo is awesome though. He hits people and doesn't afraid of anything.

zedge

It probably won't be able to support an NHL franchise, economy is not so great there.

Same could be said for Winnipeg. A team in Quebec City would do fine. There is a much larger population in Quebec to feed from than Winnipeg has in Manitoba. City wise they are very similar.

Their new arena is under construction already, its just a matter of when really.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Would a second team in Toronto work? Will Leafs fans just change teams at some point? I guess you had a somewhat similar situation in the NYC area with the creations of the Isles and Devils. Forty years later, and those teams still struggle living in the shadow of the Rangers.

There are a lot of passionate HOCKEY fans in and around the GTA than there are hockey fans on the Isle and NJ (apologies to Teethmummy and whomever that one Devil's fan)

Additionally, there's are a lot of people who would pay good money to go see an NHL hockey game here that 'would' if the cost of a Leaf game and availability were a lot better. I think we could easily fill both a Leafs home game and a Toronto 2 home game at the same time.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
We "struggle" because the arena is in the middle of nowhere.

Every successful team has an arena downtown with multiple public transit options.

I wouldn't call Translink a viable transit option. I missed a doctor's appointment this morning because my bus decided to be a cool 25mins late. 80.- fee for missing the appointment fml. Next time I'll call a damn cab.

calder

All I know is: you could very easily talk my brothers, my dad and I into flying down to Vegas one weekend in mid winter to see the Jets play. Man, you see a shocking number of Jets sweaters in the crowd in Miami if they are there in January or February, Vegas would damn near be a home game. I'm in!

calder

I want this to happen to see Wings fans cry.

Undoing the Wings move to the East after all their moaning would be hilarious.

My dream is to have two expansion teams, but ideally they'd both be in the west. However that leaves Quebec in the dark and I really want to see the Nordiques back, but adding three teams is crazy... unless they do some crazy unbalanced conferences. Which would be crazy.

Desharnais is a #1 center, although that's died down and seems to be only the most hardcore french Canadians.

The funniest part about this is considering how much you go on about Minnesota and it's players yourself.

Most of my stuff is me joking around. Or at least trying.

Yeah I cheered for New York over Los Angeles because of McDonagh and Stepan and yeah I root for the Minnesotans at the international competitions but for most around here it's basically if you're not from Minnesota you don't know how to play hockey.

Oh Sidney Crosby? He's only good because he came to Shattuck St Mary's...in Minnesota. Parise is nearly as good and doesn't have as many points because he plays in the tougher western division.

So on and so on.

Are we all seriously underestimating how much support a Quebec NHL team will have?

It's fucking Quebec. They could be in their own private GFC and they'd still sell their own nipples to get nosebleeds to a 2016 Norqidues game.

Not to mention that they'd be frothing at the gash to support them through thick and thin, even more than Winnipeg were.

Gauntlet delayed til September 23rd. There goes the game I was going to play until Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age came out.

Back to playing Warhammer Quest on iPhone til then.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=867884.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Legend of Grimrock -- MB-63D927DA0E92C1B8 - Taken by shadowkat. 1 entrants total.
A game where you play as a leafs fan trapped in a hell where your team never wins

t1409199141z1.png

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Kaberle is getting a try out with the Devils too, makes sense that a New Jersey team is giving try outs to all this trash.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
There needs to be a headline of the Vegas team playing Dallas and out possessing them with the headline "Texas Hold 'Em".

NHL Headlines is eagerly taking notes. Alternatively, they need to get black player called Jack. Are there any black players with the name Jack?

... Are there any hockey players with the name Jack?

There's probably some jokes with O-mah(m)a to be made, too.

"Out of Luck" is straightforward too.

Top Bottom