• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL offseason: Sens cement commitment to never winning series again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakhov

Banned

calder

BigJonsson said:
Team Canda > GOD

I hate to risk sounding over-confidant, but at this point I'm thinking halfway through the second roundrobin game all the other teams will just forfeit in terror.

Also:

New Jersey Devils shored up their defence on Monday, signing unrestricted free agent Richard Matvichuk to a four-year contract worth $7.2 million US. Matvichuk, 31, made $2.2 million US last season with the Dallas Stars. He spent his entire 12-year career with the team, scoring 38 goals and 167 points in 733 games.

The Devils also re-signed winger Grant Marshall to a three-year, $3 million deal.

The St. Louis Blues locked up veteran centre Mike Sillinger over the weekend, as the unrestricted free agent has agreed to a two-year contract with the team. Sillinger, 33, played in 16 games for the Blues last season, collecting 10 points (five goals, five assists).

The Phoenix Coyotes' signed unrestricted free agent Sheldon Keefe to a one-year contract. Talk about a deal barely worth a ctl-c, ctl-v.

calder

Habs re-sign Ribeiro, three others

Canadian Press

7/14/2004

MONTREAL (CP) - The Montreal Canadiens re-signed leading scorer Mike Ribeiro as well as forwards Niklas Sundstrom, Marcel Hossa and Steve Begin on Wednesday.

Ribeiro, Hossa and Begin were restricted free agents while Sundstrom was an unrestricted free agent after the Habs declined to tender him a $1.95-million US qualifying offer before July 1.

Ribeiro, 24, signed a one-year, $1.55-million deal. He led the Habs last season with 65 points (20-45) in 81 games, his breakthrough year in the NHL.

Sundstrom, 29, agreed to a two-year, $2.5-million contract. The defensive winger had 20 points (8-12) and a plus-3 rating in 66 games last season and was one of the club's top penalty killers. He will earn $1.2 million next season and $1.3 million in 2005-06.

The pesky Begin, 26, signed a two-year, $1.5-million deal that also includes a third-year club option at $850,000. He had 15 points (10-5) in 52 games as well as 41 penalty minutes. He will earn $700,000 next season and $800,000 in 2005-06.

Hossa, 22, agreed to a one-year deal. The younger brother of Ottawa star Marian Hossa spend most of last season with AHL Hamilton, collecting 40 points (18-22) in 57 games.

Report: Blake likely to miss World Cup

TSN.ca Staff

7/14/2004

According to a report in Wednesday's Toronto Sun, Colorado Avalanche defenceman Rob Blake is unlikely to take part in the World Cup of Hockey later this summer.

The paper reports that Blake had surgery on his shoulder after the season and, while his recovery is progressing, the damage was more serious than expected.

Blake will return to Colorado for an examination on July 25th and he expects to make his decision at that time, though he suspects that the answer will be a negative.

San Jose Sharks defenceman Scott Hannan, another physical presence on the blueline, was suggested as a likely replacement for Blake.

Detroit centre Steve Yzerman has already given notice that he'll be unable to participate in the tournament and Tampa Bay Lightning centre Vincent Lecavalier has been named as his replacement.

Losing Yzerman is really not that bad when you replace him with Lecavalier, but losing Blake sucks. :(

And just for the hell of it:
NHL
2005 Stanley Cup
Updated July 13, 2004

Team Current
Code:
Tampa Bay Lightning 	5/1
Detroit Red Wings 	5/1
Ottawa Senators 	7/1
Philadelphia Flyers 	7/1
Colorado Avalanche 	7/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 	8/1
Boston Bruins 	10/1
New Jersey Devils 	10/1
Vancouver Canucks 	10/1
Calgary Flames 	10/1
Dallas Stars 	12/1
San Jose Sharks 	12/1
Los Angeles Kings 	17/1
St. Louis Blues 	20/1
Montreal Canadiens 	25/1
Edmonton Oilers 	30/1
New York Islanders 	30/1
Nashville Predators 	35/1
Minnesota Wild 	35/1
Anaheim Mighty Ducks 	40/1
New York Rangers 	45/1
Buffalo Sabres 	50/1
Atlanta Thrashers 	50/1
Florida Panthers 	60/1
Carolina Hurricanes 	75/1
Phoenix Coyotes 	75/1
Columbus Bluejackets 	125/1
Pittsburgh Penguins 	150/1
Chicago Blackhawks 	150/1
Washington Capitals 	150/1

I personally would have the Caps higher, probably at 75-1 or so. Frankly 10-1 is a bit complimentary for the Flames - sure it's impossible to guess how much their Finals run experience will benefit them and as a young team they should only get better but objectively I'd say the Stars and Sharks have a better shot at winning it all next year. As a matter of fact the Sharks at 12-1 look pretty good in terms of risk/reward.

And I'd give the Devils and Bruins longer odds than they have - even with their experience and with Brodeur in net the Devils seemed to be trending down last year.

calder

I personally would bet huge amounts of cash on very crappy odds that neither the Sens nor Leafs get within 2 rounds of Stanley this year. I'd put the Sens at like 15-1 with Hasek but who knows, if he does shit the bed and they go with Prusek they might still have a good run. But 7-1 to win the Cup? I'm just not seeing that.

Having a coach that'll actually play their most offensively gifted center in the playoffs when they need a clutch goal might help too. :p

Fifty

Idiots. They pick the Sens as the third best team?

Whatever, that's just a fucking joke. Maybe the third best team in Ontario, behind the Leafs and the Roadrunners.

Son of a bitch. The Devils re-signed Oliwa today. FUCK!!

http://www.newjerseydevils.com/2004/html/home/site2004.html

East Rutherford, NJ – The New Jersey Devils today signed free agent left wing Krzysztof Oliwa. The announcement was made by Devils’ CEO/President/General Manager Lou Lamoriello. As per club policy, no further terms were disclosed. “Kris at 6’5”, 240 lbs., is a physical forward who brings additional size and strength to our roster,” said Lamoriello.

Oliwa, 31, was born on April 12, 1973 in Tychy, Poland, and will be entering his eighth National Hockey League season. He posted three goals and two assists along with 247 penalty minutes in 65 regular-season games with the Calgary Flames in 2003-04, and appeared in 20 post-season contests, collecting two goals as part of the Flames’ run to the Stanley Cup Finals. Oliwa’s career totals show 17 goals and 28 assists for 45 points and 1447 penalty minutes in 407 career regular-season games with New Jersey, Columbus, Pittsburgh, NY Rangers, Boston, and Calgary.

The forward was selected by the Devils with their fourth pick, 65th overall, in the 1993 Entry Draft. Oliwa spent the 1993-94 through 1996-97 seasons in the Devils’ farm system, seeing action in one NHL contest on March 9, 1997 at Buffalo. He was recalled to New Jersey at the start of the 1997-98 season and remained with the team through its Stanley Cup victory in 2000. Oliwa was traded by New Jersey to Columbus on June 12, 2000, and saw action in 10 games with the Blue Jackets in 2000-01 before being traded to Pittsburgh on January 14, 2001. He remained with the Penguins through the 2001-02 season, and was then traded to the NY Rangers on June 23, 2002. Oliwa played nine games with the Rangers before being traded to the Bruins on January 6, 2003, where he spent the rest of the 2002-03 season. Oliwa signed as a free agent with the Calgary Flames on July 30, 2003.

Oliwa becomes the ninth player to be re-acquired and play for the Devils, joining Gary McAdam, Ken Sutton, Chris Terreri, Claude Lemieux, Stephane Richer, Tommy Albelin, Corey Schwab and Pascal Rheaume.

Awesome team guy. We may not miss his two minutes a night, but damn did he make Lombardi, Kobasew and Saprykin two inches taller when he was on the ice.

My two favorite Oliwa moments were, 1) when we beat the Oil 4-2. Oliwa scored on a breakaway to make it 3-2 I believe. 2) Last home game of the season and Oliwa skating off the ice with both arms wrapped around Chuck and Matt.

I guess his wife and family live in Jersey, so it makes sense. This stings more then Conroy leaving. :(

At least Iggy won the ESPY for awesomest NHL player. w00t!

SystemShark said:
Son of a bitch. The Devils re-signed Oliwa

This stings more then Conroy leaving. :(
abn_ship.jpg

Malakhov

Banned
There's no way the Devils will protect both Langdon and Oliwa from waivers unless they have many spots leftover wich I highly doubt.

calder

SystemShark said:
Son of a bitch. The Devils re-signed Oliwa today. FUCK!!

I really liked Oliwa too, and he sure sounded like he wanted to stay, but *everything* Sutter said from the second the season ended made it sound like the team wasn't really going to offer him anything. With Simon on board Oliwa became even more totally expendable than he was - and really he was always a bit player with a very limited role. With Simon the Flames have another true heavyweight but one who can play on the first line.

While I think losing Conroy really, really hurts (how much $$$ have the flames freed by no re-signing him anyway?), losing Oliwa is akin to the Canucks losing Brashear while retaining Matt Cooke (though Cookie and Simon aren't identical players, plus Brashear was traded for Jan Hlavac, but still).

calder said:
I really liked Oliwa too, and he sure sounded like he wanted to stay, but *everything* Sutter said from the second the season ended made it sound like the team wasn't really going to offer him anything. With Simon on board Oliwa became even more totally expendable than he was - and really he was always a bit player with a very limited role. With Simon the Flames have another true heavyweight but one who can play on the first line.

I agree. What I should have said was that as a player personality losing Oliwa stings more then losing Conroy. I just thought the guy was awesome, on and off the ice. For a guy with a limited role, he was a massive supportive force in the locker room. Just seeing him in the playoffs all pumped up and shit was great to see.

Conroy contributed a lot more on the ice, but I feel that if Reinprecht's shoulder is completely healed, he'll more then make up for the absence of Conroy. Oliwa, I feel, is a harder to replace commodity. True, Simon can kick some ass, but it's going to hurt the next time the Flames and Devils play and Oliwa wipes the floor with Simon (unless of course Oliwa falls over while trying to connect an uber punch).

And Mike, any money we saved in not signing Conroy will mostly go into signing Iginla, Kiprusoff and Leopold. Thank Jebus Turek restructured his contract. A God among men Large is.

Greekboy

Banned
Oliwa is nowhere near the "huge" loss you guys are making him out to be. You guys are hung up on your great run and are overrating him at this moment.

Lisa Lashes said:
Oliwa is nowhere near the "huge" loss you guys are making him out to be. You guys are hung up on your great run and are overrating him at this moment.

Pretty sure I'm the only one taking Oliwa leaving hard. I don't think I'm overrating him, I'm just upset that he's gone.

It was a great run though.

Shinobi

Fifty said:
Idiots. They pick the Sens as the third best team?

Whatever, that's just a fucking joke. Maybe the third best team in Ontario, behind the Leafs and the Roadrunners.

lol.gif
I never get ruffled about odds...they're a lot more about who they believe people will bet on, then who they think will actually win. The goal of the oddsmakers is to gain as close to 50% of the money bet as possible, so that they always keep at least half the money bet.

Shinobi

Heh, I'm amazed...I figured he was done after the cone of silence the CBC brass was employing. One year contract isn't much though...he might well be done for all time after that, at least on TV.

He was guest hosting the Fan morning show yesterday, and was pretty good. I've said it before, but he's a lot better and a lot more tolerable on radio then he is on Coach's Corner, where he does nothing but shout down any opposing opinion from Ron or whoever. On radio he's more into telling stories and explains his arguments a bit better, and even if I disagree with half of them they're a lot easier to listen to.

Malakhov

Banned
Lisa Lashes said:
OK. Then you added tons of heart and character with Bonk not to mention a clutch playoff performer.
That's alright, we're using him as our 3rd center ie: what he really is, and not as a first center.

calder

TSN has learned a plea agreement has been reached in Mike Danton's murder-for-hire case. Sources say Danton is expected to plead guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit murder for hire. Details to follow.

I almost wanted a trial just so the true weirdness/creepiness of David Frost would be even more exposed. As it is you can almost imagine the slug surviving and somehow remaining an agent.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
My favourite Oliwa moment? Challenging Brookbank to a fight in their first matchup and getting one-punched back to the 2nd grade.
lol.gif

dem

In Oilerland..
They signed Isbister for 2 years... what a stinker. He better not get injured again this year.
They also signed Rita to a oneway.. so I guess we'll see him in the show this year.

And it seems Brewer has filed for arbitration. What a dumbshit.

bishoptl said:
My favourite Oliwa moment? Challenging Brookbank to a fight in their first matchup and getting one-punched back to the 2nd grade.
lol.gif
They still play the Shorthouse call of that fight in commercials for Mojo Radio. I've got it memorized from hearing it every single day.

"Brookbank, in his first game, in his first fight- OHHH!! BROOKBANK DROPS OLIWA!!"

The OHHH is so fucking hilarious, it's difficult to describe in words. It's the same noise someone would make if they suddenly decyphered where the treasure is on a pirate map.

Kingpen

I wouldn't put much stock into losing Oliwa... He never did crap for the Pens, and wouldn't count on him delivering that once in a career performance like he did for Calgary this season...

LETS GO PENS!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
sabres_2_bg.jpg

Now that's sweet. They definitely don't want that mustard-yellow puke jersey, bad enough Nashville cavorts about in those...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom