• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2016 |OT| Clear Eyes, Full Salt, Will Lose

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Given how many of these offside challenges happen and are successful it's starting to make me wonder how many cups/eliminations in the last 20+ years were due to offside goals that were just never noticed/challenged.

Smiley90

Offside needs to be adjusted, a goal shouldn't be disallowed because of a millisecond offside

How about players just pay more attention not to go offside, the rule's there for a reason, why are we wishy-washing it

sammich

So here's a scenario I'm wondering about. The rangers goal that was just called off after review due to offside. Say the rangers didn't score and the play wasn't challenged, resulting in the penguins going down the ice and scoring. Can the rangers challenge the goal by calling an offside review on themselves for their offside? They win the challenge as they were offside, cancelling the penguins goal which would have never happened since the rangers play was offside.

Smiley90

So here's a scenario I'm wondering about. The rangers goal that was just called off after review due to offside. Say the rangers didn't score and the play wasn't challenged, resulting in the penguins going down the ice and scoring. Can the rangers challenge the goal by calling an offside review on themselves for their offside? They win the challenge as they were offside, cancelling the penguins goal which would have never happened since the rangers play was offside.

no, different play. If the Rangers "wanted" that offside they could've just stopped attacking, right ;)

same would apply if offside zone-entry, puck leaves the zone, non-offside zone entry and goal. you also can't get that waved off despite the offside previously since it's a "new" play. only the active, most recent zone-entry counts.

zroid

Banned
How about players just pay more attention not to go offside, the rule's there for a reason, why are we wishy-washing it
The rule is bad. We just never realized how bad it was till this year because of the challenges. There's two options here, we can either accept that it's a flawed rule and allow the margin of error which 99% of the time never bothered anyone, or change the rule.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Given how many of these offside challenges happen and are successful it's starting to make me wonder how many cups/eliminations in the last 20+ years were due to offside goals that were just never noticed/challenged.

Off the top of my head I can guarantee you three more Cups for the Ducks.

Those Cups are going right into my own fan canon.

Smiley90

The rule is bad. We just never realized how bad it was till this year because of the challenges. There's two options here, we can either accept that it's a flawed rule and allow the margin of error which 99% of the time never bothered anyone, or change the rule.

How about we get rid of offside, everyone's gonna play like wsox

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Scoring is down, and disallowing good goals for such a minuscule error is stupid. They can at least adjust it so there's more wiggle room to make plays.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Good challenge.

For Arkos:
Offside Challenge is a new thing this season that can be initiated by Coaches (also new) at the risk of a timeout.

For the Playoffs, they have new cameras at the blue lines.

In my very unbiased opinion, I think that this is a terrible thing to have.

sammich

no, different play. If the Rangers "wanted" that offside they could've just stopped attacking, right ;)

same would apply if offside zone-entry, puck leaves the zone, non-offside zone entry and goal. you also can't get that waved off despite the offside previously since it's a "new" play. only the active, most recent zone-entry counts.
Ok so it has to be a challenge on the attacking team. And not necessarily. Rangers didn't know the penguins would go down and score. The play should have been blown dead at the penguins blue line but wasn't. Anyway.. It's moot since it's only reviewable on the attacking team. Should be a time limit though

They need to limit time in reviews because it's being abused. Coaches can call the review and get 5-6 minutes of time out and break momentum. They need to do it like the NFL, 90-120 secs to review and if can't immediately see the call it's inconclusive. 5-6 minutes of discussing centimeters of offside isn't what was intended IMO.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest issue with the challenge is it takes so damn long. This place was jumping, even before the not!goal, but the process of that review sucked all the life out of the place.

The rest of the power play didn't help.

Looks like the Penguins' major adjustment is to be much more aggressive on the forecheck. Hagelin in particular forced a good 3 or 4 mistakes deep in the zone just by buzzing around. They also look much faster through the neutral zone.

Also, I question playing Dan Boyle over McIlrath for this one. Against this speed Boyle seems like a major liability, and he's not bringing much else to the party. At least McIlrath can play a heavy game, even if he might get burned.

Smiley90

Ok so it has to be a challenge on the attacking team. And not necessarily. Rangers didn't know the penguins would go down and score. The play should have been blown dead at the penguins blue line but wasn't. Anyway.. It's moot since it's only reviewable on the attacking team. Should be a time limit though

not a time limit - a play limit. e.g. only the most recent zone-entry of the attacking team can be reviewed. That inherently limits it time-wise.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
My biggest issue with the challenge is it takes so damn long. This place was jumping, even before the not!goal, but the process of that review sucked all the life out of the place.
This is my biggest issue with it so far, like the other night where both coaches challenged the same play. It makes it feel like I'm watching a football game and completely botches and feel and flow of a playoff game. Can't imagine how it feels for the players.

PillarEN

How can the games be scheduled that both games are in intermission? Now I'm stuck here watching the Celtics and Hawks to help with my boredom.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, that's now 8 full periods of scoreless playoff hockey for the Rangers at MSG.

The Rangers' last goal at home in the playoffs was in the second period of Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Lightning.

zroid

Banned
They need to limit time in reviews because it's being abused. Coaches can call the review and get 5-6 minutes of time out and break momentum. They need to do it like the NFL, 90-120 secs to review and if can't immediately see the call it's inconclusive. 5-6 minutes of discussing centimeters of offside isn't what was intended IMO.

Yeah, and also what Smelly said about a timer on how long after the offside occurs that it can still be reviewable.

I think ideally you want to be able to call offsides instantaneously, say with some advanced tracking tech or something. What this year has shown us beyond any doubt is that refs are not capable of accurately making offside calls during game play. They're just way too close, and fast.

sammich

not a time limit - a play limit. e.g. only the most recent zone-entry of the attacking team can be reviewed. That inherently limits it time-wise.

Sweet. Thanks Smiley. That clears that up. Still not a big fan of it. It truly reminds me of foot in crease BS. For a league that wants to do things for more scoring I think something like this is ridiculous. Mind you this rangers offside play was nothing as bad as the blues one but I think in general it just kills the flow of the game especially for the team that just scored.

Top Bottom