• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2017 [OT] 100 Years of Playoff Salt

No, I shall welcome YOU to Alberta!

m63LLZ.gif

All aboard the moose caboose!

Just imagine if that was a communion of meese instead of just one.

Orca

I'm still baffled how Crosby didn't have to spend five minutes in the quiet room after going headfirst into the end boards and staying down, but this earned it.

Socreges

Banned
"Depending on the mechanism of the injury, 'slow to get up' does not trigger mandatory removal," Daly told USA Today Sports. "The protocol has been interpreted literally to mandate a removal. 'Ice' as compared to 'boards' is in there for a reason. It's the result of a study on our actual experiences over a number of years. 'Ice' has been found to be a predictor of concussions - 'boards' has not been."

Futureman

If Pens can pull off a Game 7 victory, this will probably go down as the most bitter 2nd round exit for the Caps. Winning 3 of the 4 games in Washington would be quite the feat.

Parch

The team doctor or trainer can remove the player, but apparently the league assigned concussion spotter can only remove a player if he gets hit in the head by a stick, the ice, or another player. Hit the boards, glass, or the goalpost and the concussion spotters can do nothing.

The league can throw that on the list of rules that need reassessment.

Line_HTX

If Pens can pull off a Game 7 victory, this will probably go down as the most bitter 2nd round exit for the Caps. Winning 3 of the 4 games in Washington would be quite the feat.

Again, I don't think it's a huge task as they have won Game 7 at Washington before.

"Depending on the mechanism of the injury, 'slow to get up' does not trigger mandatory removal," Daly told USA Today Sports. "The protocol has been interpreted literally to mandate a removal. 'Ice' as compared to 'boards' is in there for a reason. It's the result of a study on our actual experiences over a number of years. 'Ice' has been found to be a predictor of concussions - 'boards' has not been."

I wonder if that's the same study that told them repeated blows to the head and other on-ice contact isn't proven to lead to concussions as per their response to the lawsuit.

Futureman

Again, I don't think it's a huge task as they have won Game 7 at Washington before.

How about this nugget?

"The Penguins 5-0 Record in Away Game 7s is the Best in MLB, NHL or NBA History"

I understand past successes really mean nothing. Just an interesting stat.

Orca

The team doctor or trainer can remove the player, but apparently the league assigned concussion spotter can only remove a player if he gets hit in the head by a stick, the ice, or another player. Hit the boards, glass, or the goalpost and the concussion spotters can do nothing.

The league can throw that on the list of rules that need reassessment.

Obviously that needs to be amended. The idea that contact with anything else won't cause a concussion is ridiculous.

My hockey career ended when I was hit from behind from 4-5 feet out and went headfirst into the boards. I hit the player's bench door and thankfully it was one of the old lift-latch style and popped open. I was out cold and wound up at University of Alberta hospital for six weeks with a grade three concussion and some clotting.

Didn't play again that year, couldn't play ball for most of the summer without headaches, and then got back on the ice in fall and froze up the first time I turned to the boards with someone behind me. By the time therapy got me over that, I had no shot at continuing to play.

Socreges

Banned
Obviously that needs to be amended. The idea that contact with anything else won't cause a concussion is ridiculous.

My hockey career ended when I was hit from behind from 4-5 feet out and went headfirst into the boards. I hit the player's bench door and thankfully it was one of the old lift-latch style and popped open. I was out cold and wound up at University of Alberta hospital for six weeks with a grade three concussion and some clotting.

Didn't play again that year, couldn't play ball for most of the summer without headaches, and then got back on the ice in fall and froze up the first time I turned to the boards with someone behind me. By the time therapy got me over that, I had no shot at continuing to play.
Shit, sorry to hear that.

I'm sure I've had a concussion or two before while playing soccer. Probably mostly 'micro' concussions due to head balls and collisions. But I've never experienced anything serious, so I'm quite lucky. Our team has lost two players over the last three years to concussions. They've had to quit the sport and have suffered a great deal in their jobs since they couldn't stare at screens for extended periods. The danger in hockey and football is even greater, of course.

Top Bottom