• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs |OT2| stay salty, my friends

Velcro Fly

Two nights in a row a goal is taken off the board because of the refs.

Makes me sad that officiating is having that big of an impact on games :(

Alan Wake on sale for $4.99

Worth it? Seems like a pretty boring game.

It's okay. I think people who really like that game are giving the writing a lot more credit than I believe it is due because the combat is nothing to write home about. It's better if you play it in short bursts, if you try to marathon it you'll feel like watching paint dry.

Thank god. I did not like that period at all. The Kings were all over us and kept getting better and better. Glad we pulled it off, but goddamn. We can't let that happen if we expect to win this series.

Acid08

Banned
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

SERIES TIED

That third period was fucking terrifying. Credit to the Kings for absolutely dominating us that last period. That was like the first period for us.

Clydefrog

Kings played like champs trying to win it back in the third. Getting a full game out of either team this series seems impossible.

we goin to 7!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I just have to say that the crowd in MSG tonight was THE worst I've seen not just in these playoffs but in any year's playoffs. There was NO confidence in the team at all. You can usually get a vibe from the crowd, and the vibe from early on was that we were going to lose. Can't imagine it helped the team much. We're supposed to BOOST their morale, right?

There's really nothing to be done at this point. We're down guys like Powe and Clowe, who are both here specifically to play against teams like the Bruins, with Clowe in particlar being brought in specifically for his ability to contribute in the playoffs. We're down an assistant captain in Staal, which is another emotional leader lost (aside from his defensive ability). We lost Stralman tonight, which had a massive effect on the third period. Kreider went down with a brutal high stick which further shortened the bench. Hagelin also took a puck to the face but managed to come back. Lundqvist's shoulder is clearly not 100% and yet he still tried to carry the team on it. Brad Richards could simply not put on his skates and stay in the locker room and it would have no effect on the series at all. Because he's stuck with Richards, I don't think Asham got more than like 3 shifts tonight either.

The problem is there's really nobody else to come in. If Stralman can't go in Game 4, who comes in on defense? Gilroy? Hamrlik? Useless. We do have Dylan McIlrath, but we sent the kids home, and the fact is we're certainly not debuting anybody in an elimination game. There's also Stu Bickel but...blech. My guess is Gilroy is in if Stralman is out. Which basically means we'll mostly be rolling 5 defensemen.

Same issue with Richards. The only center we could bring is Kris Newbury, which...I guess would be an improvement? It's not like he would get time on the ice anyway, so it's just the same short bench that's already there with Richards in uniform.

Basically we're icing half of a viable team against a team that has 4 lines clicking and playing playoff hockey. Nothing that needs to be fixed in order to win this series can be done before the offseason.

ZeroGravity

Is there any real explanation to what's happened to Brad Richards? It's almost unbelievable that he's fallen that fast. He's still only 33.

Socreges

Banned
It's okay. I think people who really like that game are giving the writing a lot more credit than I believe it is due because the combat is nothing to write home about. It's better if you play it in short bursts, if you try to marathon it you'll feel like watching paint dry.
Yikes. I guess that $5 is better spent on decorated soaps. Thanks.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any real explanation to what's happened to Brad Richards? It's almost unbelievable that he's fallen that fast. He's still only 33.

None. He came into the year somewhat unprepared and not in peak shape, so he had a rough start to the year, but you would expect a guy like that to work through it and find his game. His conditioning doesn't seem to be a problem at this point, but he's incredibly slow and, most importantly for his game, completely indecisive. It's almost like he's lost his ability to see the game around him. He makes passes to nowhere, passes when he should shoot, shoots when he should pass, ends up coughing up the puck constantly due to not being as mentally sharp as the guy defending him, and his ability to play the point on the power play has completely evaporated.

Somebody posted this and I thought it was a nice assessment:

"In Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals against the Capitals last season, Brad Richards set up Gaborik's triple overtime winner while playing almost 40 minutes. Tonight in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals against the Bruins, pointless while playing just eight minutes."

I don't THINK he's injured. I think he just lost a step during the lockout and everything else is all in his head.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Impeccable timing on these high sticks, :lol

773106849.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Only one Ranger has more than 2 goals in the playoffs, and that, as might be expected, is Derek Stepan, who has 3.

The Rangers with 2 goals?

Ryan Callahan
Derick Brassard
Carl Hagelin
Taylor Pyatt
Brian Boyle
Arron Asham

...that's it. Truly a who's who of offensive talent.

Only one Ranger has more than 2 goals in the playoffs, and that, as might be expected, is Derek Stepan, who has 3.

The Rangers with 2 goals?

Ryan Callahan
Derick Brassard
Carl Hagelin
Taylor Pyatt
Brian Boyle
Arron Asham

...that's it. Truly a who's who of offensive talent.

DAT RICK NASH

Top Bottom