• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

I kind of agree that the playoffs are a different beast (games are tighter, teams get familiar with each other) but the Flames weren't even expected to make it this year. Sure their fancy stats aren't great and they're getting super lucky but they're a good mix of balanced talent. Edmonton should take notes on how to rebuild.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I link this site a lot, but another good article:

The Canadiens sit 23rd in the NHL in shot attempt differential now, but for the last 30 games, Carey Price has stopped 95.1% of opposing shots. A mark that is possibly an NHL record.

Carey Price has been so good, that over those 30 games, had he simply played to his season average, a superb 93.7% save percentage, the Canadiens would have given up 13 extra goals. Over those 30 games, the Canadiens won 16 one-goal games. Even if we expect normal, random distribution, that would turn at least 7 wins into ties. It's highly possible the Canadiens could have lost all 7 of those tied games, which would being them all the way down to the final wildcard spot, below Boston.

Perceived risk would tell you that trying to skate the puck our of your own zone is risky and unadvisable, because if you make a mistake, you're now out of position. Perceived risk would tell you that trying to pass to the middle breaking out of your zone is risky and unadvisable, because you're putting the puck in a dangerous area if you mess up the pass. Perceived risk would tell you that chipping the puck up the boards is a safe play, because even if you screw up, the puck is in a safe place and you still have body position on your opponent.

These are the assumptions that Michel Therrien's system is built on, and it screws up everything. It's easy to see why someone would make these assumptions, because if everything is a coin flip, they're right. However the success rates for the so-called risky plays are through the roof, while the success rates for the safe play are terrible. When you take that into account, you're increasing the amount of defensive zone time by such a large amount, that you're actually playing more risky when 'playing safe'.

Anyone have Bergevin's personal email?

#FireTherrien

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I like a lot of those SBNation sites. The Sharks one, Fear The Fin, is one of my favourites.

On that note, here's a link to the Flyers' site, moaning about the Philly Media

nice to see other cities' media be dumb for a change (we'll take Giroux off your hands btw)

It's been a while since we've had some Montreal media shenanigans. They really don't get much traction when the team is winning, which sort of hurts Montreal because nobody will listen to any real criticism of the team.

I'll take it over the idiotic stuff these guys write about when a team is losing though.

Cake Boss

Banned
Eight times this season, or 12% of the time, the Canadiens have failed to even notch 20 shots on goal. 21 times, or a whopping 31% of the time, the Canadiens have failed to hit 25 shots in a game. These aren't the kinds of things you hear about Stanley Cup contenders.

daaaamn.gif

Samyy

Seems like the Isles just extended Boychuck for 7 years

6mil x 7 years

Isn't he like 30? Seems like a overly big contract...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
SEVEN years seems like a lot for Boychuk. But at least it sounds like the ol' Rangers-Isles rivalry should be pretty intense for a while.

zroid

Banned
Damn. Grats Isles, I guess. Big term, but Boychuk is great though no doubt. I think he's cemented himself as a legit top pair D this year.

zroid

Banned
it's likely going to be an albatross by years 5-6... hopefully the isles win a cup by then. some idiot gm will likely take the contract off their hands just because he's won a cup while signed to it. dat #winningculture

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
7 more years of Johnny Rockets!!!

tumblr_lhggxm6zuL1qh59n0o1_r1_400.gif

I know he's 30 and thats a lot of years, but to have him, Leddy, and Hamonic locked up is worth it.

Foggy

Some reason I thought he would have stayed in he minors. Maybe he'll have a breakout game tonight

That was the initial plan, but injuries and sickness have done goofy things to the team. Truth be told, he's been good over the past couple games, but little chance he stays out of the minors next year. But hey, Jared Boll seemingly has a lifetime subscription on the 4th line, so who knows...

On a side note, I like the Boychuk deal. I'm not sure how else the Isles are supposed to handle that. I'd imagine that's just the price of doing business with a great D-man. You overpay in the later years or you take your chances with the draft or you hope to get a good deal with a trade. You've already got him, so lock him down.

Socreges

Banned
On a side note, I like the Boychuk deal. I'm not sure how else the Isles are supposed to handle that. I'd imagine that's just the price of doing business with a great D-man. You overpay in the later years or you take your chances with the draft or you hope to get a good deal with a trade. You've already got him, so lock him down.
To some extent you're right. But I'm pretty confident that a different organization could have extended Boychuk without such a massive commitment.

You motherfuckers wanna start explaining these graphs.

Dion is literally in a class of his own when it comes to scoring chances against. Density is...a weird way of saying "percentage of players in this range", and probably should have been the actual number of players for easier readability, but it is what it is.

corsiclearsifenwickwowyPDOzonestarts hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggghhhhhh

An interesting trend is that there are a couple defensemen there that are in the range of "you shouldn't be this bad just going off of probabilities, but you are". It's just Dion is worse ;A;

Top Bottom