• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

Clydefrog

happy birthday californiamari

koeM9Q3.jpg

zroid

Banned
apparently the Flames have a positive goal differential when their goalie is pulled. That is some weird voodoo shit.

apparently the Flames have a positive goal differential when their goalie is pulled. That is some weird voodoo shit.

#grit

@illmatic I'd agree but our league leading, 86 3rd period goals puts that to rest pretty easily. I've watched about 90 percent of the games this season and I've seen more comebacks than I can count, I keep thinking that they can't keep it up and yet here we are.

You'd have issues of you were a low scoring team, or were leaning on one or two guys to bang a goal in, but it's a huge team effort for us, the plays we make are so good sometimes I don't even know if it's my team I'm watching. I'm not worried about them scoring and I'm certainly not worried about them folding when they're down a goal or two.

Heretic

Honestly with regards to Getzlaf, at a certain point you have to just realize that you need to cut your losses and try to get some value out of the trainwreck of a has-been. I think we could go for an old school straight-up player for player trade with Toronto, and bring Kessel into the flock. Big upgrade.

Would perhaps the Canucks look at a straight up Sedin for Getzlaf swap? Good trade for both. We get the best 2 fowards in the league and they get the best 1 forward in the league.

We'd have to throw in Gibby to sweeten the pot a bit.

Sedins are going to retire in Vancouver. They are not money hungry.

Well unless some GM trades them, but I doubt that'll happen. Our owners and presidents philosophy is build in a winning environment. Transitional plan from old to new.

Your presidents trophy philosophy aside; I can definitely see the Sedins moving to Anaheim. They want to join Kesler. They either want to go to Chicago or Anaheim just like Kesler did. We'll definitely trade you Getzlaf for the Sedins.

We'd have to throw in Gibby to sweeten the pot a bit.

You mean Fraudson.

We'd definitely have to throw in both to make any trade with our disgusting team worthwhile for anyone else in the league.

I know you're joking, but I still don't understand the bolded.

(Shit at maths to emphasise how ironically dumb I'm being. Which ironically is not a clever joke by any means. Oh god I'm stuck in irony inception. Help. Send firewood and logic)

Clydefrog

Canucks were dumb to trade Kesler. I hate seeing him in a Ducks uniform.

I just want to beat San Jose's decade-long trips into the playoffs.

I know, I'm all over the place.

So now with that Rangers Win its

Montreal vs Washington

Rangers vs Boston.

And for the West

Ducks vs Wild

I rather face Boston instead. TBH. Playoff Ovi sounds Scary

Montresor

Damn I could not give less of a shit about NHL hockey right now. Maybe once the playoffs start. The 1st round is always fun. The nice thing is that watching hockey is such an extremely time-consuming hockey. So I've been reading more books, playing more games, and watching more movies, thankfully.

zroid

Banned
Did not want this. Marlies had a good thing going and this hurts their chances.

He isn't good defensively so it may help our tank.

Hmmm... I'm skeptical about the "not good defensively" part. Like people say Gardiner isn't good defensively, but statistically he's the best defensive defenseman the Leafs have. We'll see.

But yea I'm surprised they recalled him, he was a valuable piece for the Marlies' playoff run. I hope they still make it.

ShaneB

Damn I could not give less of a shit about NHL hockey right now. Maybe once the playoffs start. The 1st round is always fun. The nice thing is that watching hockey is such an extremely time-consuming hockey. So I've been reading more books, playing more games, and watching more movies, thankfully.

Maybe I missed you in the reading thread, but what have you been reading?

The nice thing is that watching hockey is such an extremely time-consuming hockey.

Damn right it is.

Also it's good to occasionally use your time to do other more constructive things instead of focusing on a tank.

If you can have the game on in the background while you do stuff, it makes more sense.

Wasn't it like officially announced at E3 2014 though?
So like,7- 8 months ago or something?

I deliberately kept it in my periphery rather than focusing on it because I really liked Demon's Souls a hell of a lot but Dark Souls 1 and 2 didn't do it for me. I didn't want to develop high expectations again. I completely forgot it was due out this month until I just looked it up a few minutes ago. It seemed like a much longer wait but that probably has to do with the fact that I've been starving for something to justify these two consoles. I was happy with them for awhile but my god I do nothing on them that I can't do with my PC or a last gen console right now.

zroid

Banned
Also this was when Therrien Coached The Pens and here's us now

xnL4vCh.png

The Hell?

the scale on this chart is kind of weird because the difference in SV% and SH% in the two bars is actually pretty significant

the other categories are more similar

like the difference in SV% looks around 1% which is huge (eg .920 vs .930)

#grit

@illmatic I'd agree but our league leading, 86 3rd period goals puts that to rest pretty easily. I've watched about 90 percent of the games this season and I've seen more comebacks than I can count, I keep thinking that they can't keep it up and yet here we are.

You'd have issues of you were a low scoring team, or were leaning on one or two guys to bang a goal in, but it's a huge team effort for us, the plays we make are so good sometimes I don't even know if it's my team I'm watching. I'm not worried about them scoring and I'm certainly not worried about them folding when they're down a goal or two.

See the thing about the Flames that worries me (and should worry you too) is that these crazy SH% driven hot streaks are not entirely uncommon, and they can last for an entire season -- just look at the Avs last year. The problem is they historically tend to evaporate in the playoffs, and they certainly don't last into the following season. Everyone's happy now, but if Treliving/Burke think Calgary's current success is sustainable into next season, they might make a whole lot of bad decisions in the offseason (think Leafs after their SH% driven playoff run a couple years ago). The Flames are definitely on the upswing but if Treliving thinks they're better than they are, it might lead to trouble next year. I hope for you guys' sake he's smart enough to see that.

Montresor

Maybe I missed you in the reading thread, but what have you been reading?

I didn't realize there was a reading thread so I haven't posted there. But I've been (very very slowly) working my way through the Song Of Ice And Fire books. I'm up to page 850 on Book 2. Getting there! I already watched all four seasons of Game of Thrones so I've really enjoyed seeing the differences/similarities between the book and the show.

ShaneB

I didn't realize there was a reading thread so I haven't posted there. But I've been (very very slowly) working my way through the Song Of Ice And Fire books. I'm up to page 850 on Book 2. Getting there! I already watched all four seasons of Game of Thrones so I've really enjoyed seeing the differences/similarities between the book and the show.

Yeah, there's a monthly 'What are you reading?' thread, here's the March one.. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1001417

I read through the first 3 books, and got a bit Game of Throned out reading them back to back, and figured I'd get back to the other 2 sometime, but when I realized it feels like it'll never end because the books take so long to come out, I had zero inspiration to go back to the series.

Socreges

Banned
Did you not read The 30 Year Old Rookie? He requested a trade.

The Canucks HAD to trade him.
Not to mention that he's declining and that 32-year-old Kesler will get a hefty payday for what he's done and not what he will do. Wouldn't make sense for them to keep him during the 'mini rebuild'.

He's a great fit for the Ducks, but pissy/divey Kesler will show his face soon if you guys don't win a Cup.

Edit - should add that I would totally agree that the Canucks org would have kept him if he hadn't wanted out...

Top Bottom