• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

Socreges

Banned
I think the league needs more scoring. The last time players finished under 90 points was in the early 60's I saw today. Thats ridiculous.

League needs to make the nets bigger and get rid of all the clutch and grabbing that has seeped back into the game.

Also, I really want a 3 point system. Teams sit back just hoping to get that OT point. Teams should get 3 points for winning in regulation and actually going for it. It's boring knowing that teams are just going to trap for the last 5 minutes of a game so they get a point.
Yes to the bolded. No to bigger nets.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
why do I feel like we are going to lose tonight? DANGIT, WE KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO BEAT THE HABS

All you have to do is forecheck, and hope the Pacioretty doesn't get a breakaway, that's it.

Compared with the rest of the N.H.L., the Canadiens do not score much, or shoot much, or control the puck much, which would seem to make it awfully difficult for them to win much — let alone 43 times, second most in the league

Hehe

eyeless

All you have to do is forecheck, and hope the Pacioretty doesn't get a breakaway, that's it.

Hehe
it's not fair

wBgquow.png

even after we scored like 5 goals over a month period, the habs still haven't outscored the leafs

the 3rd place overall team has less goals than than the 27th

caaareeeeeeeeeey

Marvie_3

Banned
I think the league needs more scoring. The last time players finished under 90 points was in the early 60's I saw today. Thats ridiculous.

League needs to make the nets bigger and get rid of all the clutch and grabbing that has seeped back into the game.

Also, I really want a 3 point system. Teams sit back just hoping to get that OT point. Teams should get 3 points for winning in regulation and actually going for it. It's boring knowing that teams are just going to trap for the last 5 minutes of a game so they get a point.
Plinko alt!

zroid

Banned
it's not fair

wBgquow.png

even after we scored like 5 goals over a month period, the habs still haven't outscored the leafs

the 3rd place overall team has less goals than than the 27th

caaareeeeeeeeeey

what's even crazier?

drhDYPM.png

they have the exact same Sh% = 7.8% (which is about league average)

the column on the right is their Sv% (this is at 5v5 btw)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Pleky-Parenteau
JDLR-Eller-DSP
Prust-Flynn-Weise

Is this the first time in like 3 months were all 3 lines look decent? I give it 10 minutes before Therrien fucks these up.

Hockey players are bigger, faster, and more talented these days, but so are goalies. Technology and analytics are pretty substantial so strategies are more abundant. Goalie equipment was cut down, power plays start in the offensive zone, and the two-line pass was eliminated as well. New penalties like the controversial puck over glass were introduced, and I think there's a headshot penalty as well.

Yet power plays are down: in the 2005-2006 season, one team had 541 opportunities and the highest scoring rate was 22.1.%. This season, the most opportunities is 248 even though the top team has a 25.3% efficiency. So while the scoring rate hasn't changed much, teams are getting about half as many opportunities as 10 years ago. Imagine if Detroit (top PP team this year) had twice as many power plays? That's an extra 60-odd goals, almost 1 more goal per game.

The top scorer in 2005-06: Joe Thornton with 125 points. You have to go down to #25 on that list to find a PPG player (Shanahan with 81 points in 82 games). This season there might be a handful of players who hit 80+ points.

It just seems like a natural evolution of the game. The ice hasn't changed but the players are bigger, faster, and stronger, so there's less room to move. Add to that coaching chess matches and bigger, more talented goalies and it's hard to find a weakness.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Hockey players are bigger, faster, and more talented these days, but so are goalies. Technology and analytics are pretty substantial so strategies are more abundant. Goalie equipment was cut down, power plays start in the offensive zone, and the two-line pass was eliminated as well. New penalties like the controversial puck over glass were introduced, and I think there's a headshot penalty as well.

Yet power plays are down: in the 2005-2006 season, one team had 541 opportunities and the highest scoring rate was 22.1.%. This season, the most opportunities is 248 even though the top team has a 25.3% efficiency. So while the scoring rate hasn't changed much, teams are getting about half as many opportunities as 10 years ago. Imagine if Detroit (top PP team this year) had twice as many power plays? That's an extra 60-odd goals, almost 1 more goal per game.

The top scorer in 2005-06: Joe Thornton with 125 points. You have to go down to #25 on that list to find a PPG player (Shanahan with 81 points in 82 games). This season there might be a handful of players who hit 80+ points.

It just seems like a natural evolution of the game. The ice hasn't changed but the players are bigger, faster, and stronger, so there's less room to move. Add to that coaching chess matches and bigger, more talented goalies and it's hard to find a weakness.

You can't really compare any normal season to the one directly after the 04-05 lockout, scoring was really inflated that season.

Top Bottom