• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

They flashed up some analysis on the screen during the game last night, and it didn't look too good. Something like only 3 home games left in the season, and 7 of the remaining games are against current playoff teams. If anybody can hit the "clutch" button and rampage into a playoff spot, though, it's the Kings.

Times bode well, my friend.

We're off to find the hero of the day.

Mike Vogel ‏@VogsCaps 21m21 minutes ago
But #Caps get 22.6% of goals from Ovi, highest % from leading scorer of any team in league. Last 30 games, it's 30.1%.

If we make the playoffs it's going to be a shitshow.

5gPUs5A.gif

Calamari41

41 > 38
There was literally 7 Bloodborne threads on the first page, lol.

There are 8 and a half at this precise moment. I don't know why the mods allow that kind of thing to happen... I mean, what's the point of an OT if you can also make a thread for people to "show off" their characters?

They flashed up some analysis on the screen during the game last night, and it didn't look too good. Something like only 3 home games left in the season, and 7 of the remaining games are against current playoff teams. If anybody can hit the "clutch" button and rampage into a playoff spot, though, it's the Kings.

They have been playing pretty amazing except that whole Toffoli Burrows hit.

Sekera seems an amazing addition, Lewis, King, Clifford have all picked up their games and they got rid of the McDefense.

Losing Stoll was terrible as he's one of the best faceoff guys on the roster.

There is a chance, it's not great but it's there.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
There are 8 and a half at this precise moment. I don't know why the mods allow that kind of thing to happen... I mean, what's the point of an OT if you can also make a thread for people to "show off" their characters?

Yup, exactly. This goes for every game,

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah 2.69 gb which is taking for ever on my crappy connection.

Also holy shit x-files coming back! Fuck yes. Please be good. And have some closure.

zroid

Banned
They have been playing pretty amazing except that whole Toffoli Burrows hit.

Sekera seems an amazing addition, Lewis, King, Clifford have all picked up their games and they got rid of the McDefense.

Losing Stoll was terrible as he's one of the best faceoff guys on the roster.

There is a chance, it's not great but it's there.

considering they're chasing the Flames, who still look like a house of cards to me, I'd say the chance is pretty good

then again they've been proving me wrong all season so what do I know

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter was so long ago that the game has been off my radar forever. :D

Looking forward to it.

Never played any of the Souls series, they looked interesting. Bloodborne has a really cool atmosphere, if I got a PS4 I'd probably play it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
never played any.

If you've ever been remotely interested you should check out Dark Souls on PC cause it's cheap. I think Demon's is way better than either of the Dark Souls games though and Bloodborne is more Demon's Souls than Dark Souls.

Yeah, if you've never played any then you owe it to yourself to give one a shot. I personally like Dark Souls 1 the best, so really just get whatever one is cheapest and most convenient. If you enjoy one you'll enjoy them all to varying degrees.

Socreges

Banned
Just looked into Pillars of Eternity. Loved Baldurs Gate so I'm suddenly excited. Is it gonna be full price on Steam?

And yeah, get Dark Souls, Smiley. Or play it, rather. Surely it's already sitting in your massive Steam backlog?

Because:

1) NeoGAF isn't a democracy
2) Mods love the DS series
3) Highly praised true successor to GOTY DS2

I don't disagree with you. Just explaining why they'd make an exception.

zroid

Banned
Before yesterday's games some other table had Calgary above LA. Now they're well below? What variable did they add? Truculence?

I'm not too sure what this guy uses but I think it's a combination of possession and possibly schedule

normally these predictions are just based on the standings I think (in which case obviously Calgary being in a playoff spot currently would have a higher probability than LA)

edit: I just asked him, he does account for strength of schedule in the calculation

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm not too sure what this guy uses but I think it's a combination of possession and possibly schedule

normally these predictions are just based on the standings I think (in which case obviously Calgary being in a playoff spot currently would have a higher probability than LA)

edit: I just asked him, he does account for strength of schedule in the calculation

LA is the only team in the Western playoff race with a losing away record and has the most away games left. "strength of schedule" is very relative.

Also the Flames totally have an easier schedule

Flames:

Stars
Wild
Perds
Stars
Blues
Oilers
Yotes
Kings
Jets

LA:
Rags
Isles
Wild
Hawks
Oilers
Avs
Canucks
Oilers
Flames
Sharks

nearly ALL the Flames games are against teams they have a chance against, LA... maybe not so much.

TLDR that guy is full of shit IMHO

zroid

Banned
LA is the only team in the Western playoff race with a losing away record and has the most away games left. "strength of schedule" is very relative.

Also the Flames totally have an easier schedule

Whether the Kings have a losing away record or not is most likely irrelevant to the statistical model. The calculation is probably based on historical probabilities of winning away games based on the possession numbers of a team and its opponent.

Feel free to question him on twitter yourself though :p

edit: by the way, looking at your list, LA seems to face more opponents with sub-50% possession numbers than Calgary

LA: Oilers, Avs, Oilers, Flames (+Canucks and Sharks, which are sort of borderline 50% teams)
CGY: Oilers, Yotes

Marvie_3

Banned
Whether the Kings have a losing away record or not is most likely irrelevant to the statistical model. The calculation is probably based on historical probabilities of winning away games based on the possession numbers of a team and its opponent.

Feel free to question him on twitter yourself though :p

edit: by the way, looking at your list, LA seems to face more opponents with sub-50% possession numbers than Calgary

LA: Oilers, Avs, Oilers, Flames (+Canucks and Sharks, which are sort of borderline 50% teams)
CGY: Oilers, Yotes
So their road record up to this point doesn't matter but the fact that they outshot teams does? That makes sense.

zroid

Banned
So their road record up to this point doesn't matter but the fact that they outshot teams does? That makes sense.

that's the whole point of analytics marvie

finding a way to better evaluate team strength than the standings, because goals are influenced greatly by luck and other uncontrollable factors

Foggy

tell me why I should care about Bloodborne NHL-GAF

Brilliant atmosphere, brilliant gameplay, brilliant brilliance.

Looks like Wiz is gonna be back in Columbus and Wild Bill gets to start against his former team. Looking forward to more anti-tank shenanigans from the suddenly sort-of kind-of healthy BJs.

Marvie_3

Banned

finding a way to better evaluate team strength than the standings, because goals are influenced greatly by luck and other uncontrollable factors

Ok, let's just start awarding playoff spots based on which team is more corsier than others.

zroid

Banned
Ok, let's just start awarding playoff spots based on which team is more corsier than others.

well you know, ideally they'd just play like a 1000 game season to filter out all the statistical noise, but your idea works too! it's easier on the players. ^_^

Quick

Banned

race-war-announcement-o.gif

IT'S A STATS WAR! EVERYONE, IT'S A STATS WAR!

But also a race war, because the race war is never ending.

Top Bottom