• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

iLLmAtlc

iuno what SVO means but i think the graph is just trying to show you each team's corsi trajectory from beginning of season until today (expressed per minute).

Horizontal axis is shots for, vertical is against. So calgary is way the fuck at the top in shots against 1.05+ per minute, and among the lowest for shots for, <0.85.

The Kings keep the shots really low while is among the best for shots for.

Syrinx

iuno what SVO means but i think the graph is just trying to show you each team's corsi trajectory from beginning of season until today (expressed per minute).

Horizontal axis is shots for, vertical is against. So calgary is way the fuck at the top in shots against 1.05+ per minute, and among the lowest for shots for, <0.85.

Meanwhile the Devils and Sabres are so bad they're not even shown on the graph.

zroid

Banned

SVO = Score, Venue [home/away] and Opponent adjusted.

just a slightly fancier version of score-adjusted

Kinda frustrating seeing the company the Canes are in and yet here we are fifth to last in the league.

We could feasibly do a quick turnaround with one more legit playmaking forward and even consistently decent goaltending.

yeah I agree, Canes are due for a big rebound next year. If I were into betting Over/Unders on point projections, I'd definitely put money on the Over.

There is something poetic about LA and Calgary fighting tooth and nail for the last playoff spot in the West

they are quite literally on opposite ends of the spectrum

Does that graph mean we suck, because we do...

I hate this stuff so much, it is just so unorganized looking and can't figure out what it all even means. Get your nerd stuff out of my hockey! While we're on top of that get rid of points, heck even goals, we don't need numbers here, games should be played until everyone is either dead or too crippled to move!

I just noticed that the Wings have little bit of their own slump lately. Well, one of these loser teams has to win.

A little, more like we're free falling without a parachute trying to blow downward to slow our descent.

zroid

Banned
Does that graph mean we suck, because we do...

I hate this stuff so much, it is just so unorganized looking and can't figure out what it all even means. Get your nerd stuff out of my hockey! While we're on top of that get rid of points, heck even goals, we don't need numbers here, game should be played until everyone is either dead or too crippled to move!

Sorry I should've been more clear on what the squiggles mean, lol

basically it's a 25 game rolling average, that ends at the point where the team name is written

and as I said above SVO-adjusted = score, venue, opponent-adjusted

No, Dastardly would never buy a beer for a fan of Our Chief Rival, The Stars of Dallas.

Good! Foggy implied that my accusations of gooning were unfounded, but now I can taste vindication.

It really was a shitty hit.

I was kidding. Dastardly would only attempt to fight Kingslunk but in the end the refs will call coincidental roughing penalties. 4 on 4 for two minutes to finish the game. What can go wrong.

If you have an IKEA nearby, an Expedit shelf might do the trick. I personally like the look of them.

If you're feeling handy, you could probably copy it and build it yourself with stronger material.

Here's an example of one holding records:

ikea_expedit2.jpg

Do this. It's not hard to do at all and it'll hold up a lot better than the crap shelving that stores sell. A friend and I built something similar out of oak for his den. Was a bit more expensive but it looks much nicer and it's more sturdy.

Coolio, I'll check it out. I figured IKEA would be at least a starting point for this. I was actually just there Sunday and got a nice rug (IKEA is fucking nuts)

My roommate is more handy than I so maybe we'll whip something up similar to this

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't know if anyone played the old Eastside Hockey Manager games but it's making a comeback.

http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13578&p=180826#p180816

http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13580#p180831 overview of the game

Man I sunk so many hours into EHM 2005, I'm definitely gonna check this out.

Everyone in NHL-GAF wants to live in Toronto!

I love visiting Toronto, but after spending almost two hours in a traffic jam last time I went there, outside of downtown I might add, I don't think I ever wanna live there.

Pikma

Banned
There is something poetic about LA and Calgary fighting tooth and nail for the last playoff spot in the West

CBCDL5PWUAEEd9g.png

they are quite literally on opposite ends of the spectrum
That looks like one of the drawings my 5yo nephew usually makes while at kindergarten

Man I sunk so many hours into EHM 2005, I'm definitely gonna check this out.

I own FHM14 on Steam (I think Smiley does too) and, sadly, it's just not that great.

We need the Sports Interactive guys to make a hockey version of Football Manager. Imagine the press and player comment selections:

"Get ... away from me."

"This ... guy."

Samyy

Yes it does.

Oh. Well damn, good thing we have that chart to tell us that. How many other teams in the league would benefit from better goaltending?

Well that they'd be significantly better, they're not just jumping from 5 to 9, its likely they'd be a playoff team with a goalie.
There are plenty of shit teams with decent goaltending

The issue is for many teams they are giving up a disproportionate number of shots/scoring chances against, in comparison to what they're generating, so even great goaltending would fail to help them achieve success, ala the Leafs. However, Carolina doesn't seem to have this issue, they tend to drive possession, and minimize chances against, indicating that with better goaltending, their team is a lot better than you might think just based on a look at who is on their roster.

So for Carolina, if you compare them with Buff/Edm/Toronto/Arizona, its clear that they clearly don't belong in the seem league as those teams. They have a decent group of skates and play a good system.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it does.

Oh. Well damn, good thing we have that chart to tell us that. How many other teams in the league would benefit from better goaltending?

Montreal. I mean if Price could actually score some goals the team would be awesome.

zroid

Banned
Well that they'd be significantly better, they're not just jumping from 5 to 9, its likely they'd be a playoff team with a goalie.
There are plenty of shit teams with decent goaltending

I've been watching the Canes play more recently (for tank reasons) and it's really quite obvious even to the eye that they're pretty good. If they had a bit more offensive talent and even average goaltending, it would make a huuuge difference.

Yawnier

Banned
Isn't Liles a groovy stats darling?

I felt sort of bad when he practiced with the leafs in warm-up during the winter classic but wasn't allowed to participate in the game because he was traded

zroid

Banned
Isn't Liles a groovy stats darling?

I felt sort of bad when he practiced with the leafs in warm-up during the winter classic but wasn't allowed to participate in the game because he was traded

yeah he's pretty good, just overpaid

Gleason was overpaid without being good :(

Hmm lets see. Lose today... and give Jets 2 Points so the Kings don't get a playoff spot OR Win and earn 2 points and clinch playoff spot.

Decisions.

Pikma

Banned
The Stars would be an awesome team if it weren't for their shitty defense, their inconsistent goaltending, their inability to maintain advantages and their 3rd period meltdowns.

So yeah, I think we just need to replace a half of the team and we'll be alright

Top Bottom