• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

zroid

Banned
eLK7IgU.png

Foggy

So I just read that, mathematically, Columbus can still catch a playoff spot. I believe!

that the Kings will make the playoffs and win the Cup

calder

I'm not sure on it, but look at the sked, 5 easy games

Edmonton
Avs
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary

Yeah, the Kings have by far the easiest schedule remaining of any bubble team, and they have almost the easiest schedule humanly possible. Meanwhile, the Jets next four games are the Rangers, Canucks, Wild and Blues. I'm sure the Rangers, after sleepwalking through games against all the other western bubble teams in the past month, will be fired up and play a great game tonight in Winnipeg. Fuckers.

And fucking Central Division, it's ridiculous. Man it would be awesome if the Wild and Jets took the wildcard spots, what deep shame for the Pacific.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The Kings' floor for points at the end of the season is basically 94. We'll need a perfect performance against them from Vancouver, Calgary, and San Jose, plus maybe an upset thrown in from one of the Edmonton/Colorado games, to keep them out of the playoffs.

It's simply not going to happen. And I'm not even jinxing.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The Kings have lost their last five games against Western conference playoff teams.

Only two of the last six games are against playoff teams, and one of those is against the team on the edge of the bubble who you'd be supplanting.

I don't blame you for being pessimistic. I would be too if I were a fan of the team in that situation. But looking at it coldly, it just seems like it's stacked in their favor.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the Kings have by far the easiest schedule remaining of any bubble team, and they have almost the easiest schedule humanly possible. Meanwhile, the Jets next four games are the Rangers, Canucks, Wild and Blues. I'm sure the Rangers, after sleepwalking through games against all the other western bubble teams in the past month, will be fired up and play a great game tonight in Winnipeg. Fuckers.

And fucking Central Division, it's ridiculous. Man it would be awesome if the Wild and Jets took the wildcard spots, what deep shame for the Pacific.

The Jets are always a really really tough match for us. They just seem so huge, and they usually play a pretty fast game against us. That and we have had a habit of making Pavelec look like Carey Price. We can beat them, but it's always much harder than the standings would make you think.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of our schedule down the stretch in general:

@ WPG
@ MIN
vs. NJD
vs. CBJ
@ NJD
vs. OTT
vs. WSH

Winnipeg is always a bad matchup, we only barely beat the Wild in a crazy ass early season game long before they apparently decided to be the best team in the league, as bad as the Devils have been you have to expect them to take at least one against the Rangers on the season (they haven't yet), the Blue Jackets are suddenly 9-1-0 in their last 10, and then Ottawa and Washington are fighting for position around the wild cards and will likely be absolutely desperate by the final days of the season. Not to mention there's about a 67% chance we face one of those two teams in the first round the next week. And all that in 12 days.

2-5 is not at all unrealistic with that schedule. 4-3 would be a great result and at least match our 2011-12 point total of 109 (not that it did us much good there). We're going to have to go 6-1 in order to beat the franchise record of 112 points. And we're probably going to have to straight up run the table to win the Presidents Trophy given the Ducks' puffiest of creampuff schedules the rest of the way. Don't see that happening.

At least it's not Minnesota's schedule. Good luck to those guys. Yikes.

Calamari41

41 > 38
And we're probably going to have to straight up run the table to win the Presidents Trophy given the Ducks' puffiest of creampuff schedules the rest of the way. Don't see that happening.

We'll probably run the table or lose just one, but it really does suck to only have 4 games over the course of 13 days. It's a letdown disaster waiting to happen. What I really worry about is what it will do to us in the first round of the playoffs, not having played a meaningful game for weeks and yet facing a team which will have been in playoff mode for this entire last part of the season.

Really wishing Voynov hadn't decided to go from world-beater to wife-beater. I think we'd have at least a few more points with him on the roster. Probably wouldn't be in 9th at least.

Mrazek in, time to redeem himself...

Please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa....

There, I have all my jinx and reverse jinx covered.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Marc Staal is the NYR nominee for the Masterton. Don't really see him making the short list.

Derek Stepan named the John Halligan Good Guy award for cooperation with the media by the NY PHWA. What a good guy.

Marty St. Louis skating as an extra this morning, looks like he's still out. Rangers lines:

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Hagelin-Hayes-Fast
Glass-Moore-Sheppard

keezy

Mrazek in, time to redeem himself...

Please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa, please lose/win against Ottawa....

There, I have all my jinx and reverse jinx covered.

If Stephen Weiss plays the Wings will lose.

Also, going to predict that Ottawa scores shorthanded. If the Wings are on the PP, whichever forward is playing on the blue line will cough up the puck resulting in a short handed goal.

Also, also, notice how great the Wings enter the offensive zone on the PP. 4 guys stand still on the blue line and one guy tries to skate the puck through the other team. Just brilliant.

End of rant. Carry on.

zroid

Banned
I kinda hope so. He's a fantastic player and he has shown it at times already with the Kings.

They just need to get rid of Voynov and Richards...

Aren't they getting cap relief for Voynov now? lol Richards though

so glad Toronto is more willing to piss away money than LA because Richards >> Clarkson. Columbus definitely would've preferred him if given the opportunity.

If Stephen Weiss plays the Wings will lose.

Also, going to predict that Ottawa scores shorthanded. If the Wings are on the PP, whichever forward is playing on the blue line will cough up the puck resulting in a short handed goal.

Also, also, notice how great the Wings enter the offensive zone on the PP. 4 guys stand still on the blue line and one guy tries to skate the puck through the other team. Just brilliant.

End of rant. Carry on.

Just say it, we'll probably lose even with Weiss out or in or never on this team.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Kave learns to play hockey - game 7

We played our last regular season game tonight. I'll save you the suspense we destroyed the team 7-2. We finished with a 6-1 record and now look towards the Super Series next week and hope we can grab the championship from that.

I bounced back well tonight, had 1 goal, 1 assist. Got the assist when I dove to poke a puck past a pinching defenseman which allowed our sniper to have a breakaway and score.

Got the goal parking myself in front of the net as our center threw it out front from behind the net. I one timed it and roofed it over the blocker side. I was super impressed I actually was able to lift the puck so easily, all my practice is paying off.

I also had some solid possession behind the net and on the boards. One of my teammates was telling me to have more confidence there, he says he hasn't seen anyone outmuscle me for a puck along the boards or behind the net yet. Just keep at it and keep battling and we'll continue to get some good opportunities from it.

I definitely know my role on this team and have been trying to keep at it since game 3. I need to work harder on the boards to be even more effective.

Either way a minimum 3 more games to go, hopefully more as we make our way towards the championship.

Oh yeah so my final stats for the regular season:

7GP - 2 Goals - 5 Assists

Finished 4th in overall scoring and second in assists.

Not too shabby. :D

Well done! :D

New Lines!

Pacioretty – Plekanec – Gallagher
Galchenyuk – Desharnais – Parenteau
De La Rose – Mitchell/Flynn – Smith-Pelly
Weise – Eller – Prust
Malhotra

Markov – Subban
Emelin – Petry
Beaulieu – Gilbert
Gonchar – Pateryn

i guess we will see Gonchar on Thursday

I would of Swapped Weise for DSP on the 4th

Emelin-Petry Bothers me

ShaneB

Sounds like it was a great time Kave, the updates have always been fun to read.

In a meeting all day here and tomorrow, and get some free lunch, not too shabby.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I hope we play the Blues in the playoffs one day because they seem to be the only good team we consistently beat by a wide margin. Who knows why.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hank is in his John McEnroe mask tonight. Still has 4 more he needs to go through before the season ends after that.

AV says MSL will take part in line rotations at practice tomorrow. Sounds close to returning. Could be back as soon as the game with the Wild, probably no later than Saturday's game with the Devils.

Top Bottom