• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

Flip side of that is they were UFAs. We could've lost them for nothing.

If a team is comfortable with Dion's salary and what he brings and they were desperate, he could bring that.

Though the team likely to give that would be the Leafs of the 90s and early 2000... -_-

Don't worry, Dallas is still around. Who knows what they'll be willing to do after stewing in the off season. I'm hoping they take Elliott from us.

Yawnier

Banned
Dreger doesn't seem to like Kessels comments from today, calling them disingenuous (on Dave Naylor right now)

Shocking News

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Dreger doesn't seem to like Kessels comments from today, calling them disingenuous (on Dave Naylor right now)

Shocking News

What the fuck? Exactly this that the Leafs should be calling out the media.

Can't defend teammates without being picked apart. Jesus. Fuck.

The other side of this argument is that if the Leafs were actually good, the media would be able to splooge over them instead of writing tabloid-like non-stories.

zroid

Banned
I'd love to see the grounds on which they play on suing some kid on twitter

I thought the lawsuit was for TSN?

also Dreger is a cunt (I was listening to the conversation in the car, "disingenuous" isn't even the half of the garbage he said)

Merguson

Banned
Aw.. TSN isn't putting Leafs Lunch on their website. Apparently there was a Dubas interview where he was pissed.

:(

EDIT: Apparently Craig Button was defending TSN's right to air the tweet, so that's probably why.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I thought the lawsuit was for TSN?

also Dreger is a cunt (I was listening to the conversation in the car, "disingenuous" isn't even the half of the garbage he said)
On behalf of our clients Dion Phaneuf, his wife Elisha Cuthbert and Joffrey Lupul, we have sent a letter to TSN demanding that TSN issue a formal apology and pay a significant amount of damages to each of our clients for broadcasting a false and defamatory tweet during their trade deadline show yesterday. We are sending a similar letter to the author of the tweet, Mr. Anthony Adragna.

Parch

Media on the defensive...
TSN apologizes for the tweet

Media on the offense...
Kessel criticized for criticizing the media.

Screw the media. It's no wonder some players don't want to play in fishbowl markets.

Some of you guys are reading into the Phaneuf deal waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. It's the trade deadline; both the Red Wings and Leafs gambled either side was desperate enough to make a deal they weren't comfortable with. Neither side was, so no trade was made.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
And here I thought things would get boring after the deadline passed. Gotta love what a gong show the whole Leafs pocket universe is.

If any NHLer stumbles upon this thread, we're all getting sued into the stone age

I'm sure it would mostly be restraining orders.

carey-price-contrat-copy1.jpg

<3 <3 <3

Red_Man

Broadly, Canadians can be held liable by English-Canadian courts for comments on public affairs, about public figures, which are factually true, and which are broadly believed. They cannot be held liable for opinion, inference, hyperlinking without explicit agreement with the content, reportage when this is based on honest research and journalistic ethics.
I guess Lupul needed something to do to take his mind off how terrible the Leafs are.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I'm beginning to think that he wrote the tweet

To be honest, I think he just doesn't know. This isn't the first time someone has been threatened with litigation over a tweet, any every time you get a few morons who failed high schools civics that don't understand why.

People need to realize that twitter is not the same thing as sending your buddy a PM over facebook. Anything you post on twitter is available for the public to see and you are responsible for it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm listening to the TSN panel right now. I'm afraid to actually watch the TV, they are stroking themselves so hard about how fair they are.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Literally just heard NHL Network use the term "gong show" to describe the Toronto media. Glad everyone is on the same page.

Red_Man

Get back to me when they actually win their case against this kid

I'm listening to the TSN panel right now. I'm afraid to actually watch the TV, they are stroking themselves so hard about how fair they are.
It seems like it's more the radio guys that are assholes than anything, and their job is to talk about the same shit for 10 hours a day.

Red_Man

Translation: lets stop talking about how stupid I look.
Translation: The chances of them winning a case against this kid are slim to none.

It's not surprising you come out of your troll cave to defend this. Time to go back and pop up again in August when the Leafs get fleeced for Kessel.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Translation: lets stop talking about how stupid I look.

You can't make jokes on twitter anymore?

The guy didn't say, "Hot scoop: Lupul is banging Phanuef's wife, confirmed". He made a stupid joke, if TSN hadn't shown it on air, nobody would be talking about it. I just don't see how that's worth suing somebody.

ShaneB

Get home late and turn into the game, first thing I hear Joe B say, "for those just joining us, Ovi with his 42 put the Caps on the board", thanks for the apt update Joe B!

Go Caps!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
For those of you wondering when Lundqvist is coming back, here's AV's answer today:
We are not quite sure when he will be back, no definitive time frame. As a coach and staff we get our team ready with the players who are available and ready. We believe Hank will be back at some point, but right now we have a lot of confidence in Talbot and Skapski.

Meanwhile, here's what Lundqvist was up to today:

b_nw9h0u8aabj2o4yupw.jpg

Not 1000% convinced at this point that this isn't some ruse to keep Hank super rested for the playoff run. :D

zroid

Banned
You're reading that recap as well I see.

I need to listen to this because wow. And then I get to hear him repeat most of this again on Mike Richards tomorrow morning.

I was driving in freezing rain while listening to Dreger. Not a good combination.

iLLmAtlc

You can't make jokes on twitter anymore?

The guy didn't say, "Hot scoop: Lupul is banging Phanuef's wife, confirmed". He made a stupid joke, if TSN hadn't shown it on air, nobody would be talking about it. I just don't see how that's worth suing somebody.

That guy sounds like he got caught in the crossfire, even though he started it. The beef is with TSN's negligence. Thanks to them, it's been so widely circulated that if you try to google Joffrey Lupul, Elisha Cuthbert is a suggested search.

Dion or Cuthbert couldn't care less about the money so I assume they are just so pissed about it they felt like they needed to do something so people don't believe it's true.

I doubt it changes very much for people posting ridiculous stuff on twitter. Like you said, it's probably not worth it. For most of them you probably give them more attention by suing than just ignoring.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That's two players, by my count.

Phaneuf is not worth a 1st and a prospect. Period. I expect the Leafs to try to get that return anyhow, but I'm surprised to see some Leafs fans here actually arguing that's his value.

Again. Two players on expiring contracts. It really depends if another GM thinks that contract and term is worth the price for Phaneuf.

Had those two players been signed to longer and reasonable deals, there'd be no question.

Top Bottom