• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Wow, Kessel isn't holding back. Good for him

fuck the Toronto media

The replies on twitter are depressing, though. So many fucking stupid Leafs fans. Have to start completely avoiding facebook/twitter comments

And most of those people would still defend Clarkson because he "tries" and throws a bodycheck.

I really do love when the Toronto media gets attacked, it's fun seeing how they try to weave the story into everyone is outraged when it's just them.

Cactus

Banned
And most of those people would still defend Clarkson because he "tries" and throws a bodycheck.

I really do love when the Toronto media gets attacked, it's fun seeing how they try to weave the story into everyone is outraged when it's just them.

The media is such a huge problem. The players are treated like dogshit and hounded about irrelevant and idiotic things, so the relationships irreversibly sour.

When you have players around the league calling out one specific team's media, you know there's a problem.

And Maple Leafs Hotstove commenters are morons, too. Wow. Apparently Mirtle is on the same level as Feschuk, Simmons, Kypreos, etc. and Kessel is having a tantrum because he wasn't traded (LOL).

Calamari41

41 > 38
Good god I feel awful. My face is super numb and it sucks.

I didn't think Jaw Surgery would be this shitty.

Btw anyone got any Recipes for Liquid Diets?

Strawberry milkshakes.

Seriously, that first strawberry milkshake from Jack in the Box a day and a half after I had my wisdom teeth pulled remains the greatest thing I have ever tasted in my entire life. To break the endless swallowing of blood with that ambrosia was like being reborn.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I dont want to trade phaneuf because he's the reason we're losing

I want to trade phaneuf because he sucks

I want Kessel gone because he doesn't deserve the shit from the Toronto media. Trade him to a team where he can flourish, rack up a ton points, and have crates of crow delivered to all these beat writers' desks.

Socreges

Banned
KESSSSSEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Look at this selfish player, never sticking up for his teammates. Looking forward to how the media will spin this to him being a malcontent that MUST be moved immediately.
I don't know if you can applaud a guy for throwing an organization he belongs to under the bus in that way.

Just get Kessel out of there. He's possibly the worst person in the entire league to be under such intense media scrutiny.

If lesser dman can get a first rounder at the deadline then I kind of see that type of return for Phagoofball if the Leafs retain salary. It really depends on the prospect going back as well.
Who's the lesser dman? And yeah, retaining salary would be huge.

gaming_noob

I want Kessel gone because he doesn't deserve the shit from the Toronto media. Trade him to a team where he can flourish, rack up a ton points, and have crates of crow delivered to all these beat writers' desks.

Same. I can imagine how tough it can be to be motivated to win for a city that scrutinizes every misstep. Toronto media needs to tone it down.

Samyy

I don't know if you can applaud a guy for throwing an organization he belongs to under the bus in that way.

Just get Kessel out of there. He's possibly the worst person in the entire league to be under such intense media scrutiny.

I have no problem with him throwing the organization under the bus.

Cake Boss

Banned

Who's the lesser dman? And yeah, retaining salary would be huge.

Sekera?
Coburn?

zroid

Banned

He handles it pretty well tbh

the media here are just fucking clowns, they'll find people to pick on no matter what

the impression that people have of Kessel as being this unlikeable guy who is anti-social, doesn't get along with his teammates and coaches, and isn't a hard worker is 100% painted by the media

calder

It's just going to be so sad in a year when the first few Toronto media/Leafs-GAF members start dissing McDavid.

"Maybe we should have taken Eichel", they'll whisper. "I'm not ready to call him McBust quite yet, but he HAS only scored about a half point a game through the all star break", they'll mutter. You should all be preemptively ashamed of yourselves.

I just hope Connor can hang on until his ELC is done and he can hold out for a trade.
That's when the TO hockey media will spin up so furiously that a black hole develops and swallows ACC

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
More importantly, though, those practice lines do make it seem like Glass will be the 13th forward tomorrow night.

Ironically, this past week has been by far Tanner Glass' best as a Ranger. Speaking in extremely relative terms, of course.

calder

I've often envisioned Steve Simmons would probably be the first person to put out a "are the Leafs good enough to win it again?" Article.

In the past year or two Simmons has taken a death grip on my list of worst/most hated hockey writers. Even the maestro Damian Cox can't compete anymore... and even worst Cox has said the occasional thing on Snet that was not only not wrong but pretty damn right. Weird feeling.

zroid

Banned
Also maybe it's just me but gilbert seems a lot better without Emelin.

Last year iirc he played with Brian Campbell in Florida, who is a pretty fantastic D-man. Playing with Emelin it shouldn't be surprising that he seems to have taken a step back.

I think Ekblad is paired with Campbell this year, who has no doubt sheltered him a lot.

Socreges

Banned
Sekera?
Coburn?
Worse than Phaneuf? Keep in mind also that a big part of what makes him terrible is his contract. Are the Leafs really going to eat enough of that contract over the next 5 seasons to make it worthwhile for the Wings? Very unlikely.

He handles it pretty well tbh

the media here are just fucking clowns, they'll find people to pick on no matter what

the impression that people have of Kessel as being this unlikeable guy who is anti-social, doesn't get along with his teammates and coaches, and isn't a hard worker is 100% painted by the media
It's exaggerated by the media. It isn't "100% painted" by them. The truth is somewhere in between.

He handles it pretty well? Really? I understand how awful the media is, but come on.

Parch

Toronto media are dicks and elevated by the poor play, but hockey media in any Canadian city is pretty intense. I've stopped listening to those assholes in Edmonton. I can only imagine how vicious the media would be in Montreal if the team had Leaf suckage.

Sports media just love the goad questions and will continue to pick at the nerves of anybody who shows discontent. Bunch of vultures.

I've often envisioned Steve Simmons would probably be the first person to put out a "are the Leafs good enough to win it again?" Article.

"How the Leafs almost blew their chance at a Cup."
"The Leafs didn't deserve their Cup - and here's why."
"Who the REAL Cup winners are."
"You won't believe who won the Cup this year. 29 teams hate them!"

Stasis

Yo! Sorry, I try to avoid these threads, some of NHL-GAF is a bit too sarcastic for my taste...

True that. Also intense homerism from a few, though I've been slightly guilty of it myself. Either way, it's a hell of a lot better than HFBoards.

You should stop by and lend us some support come playoffs though, not enough Rangers fans in here!

Merguson

Banned
"How the Leafs almost blew their chance at a Cup."
"The Leafs didn't deserve their Cup - and here's why."
"Who the REAL Cup winners are."
"You won't believe who won the Cup this year. 29 teams hate them!"

Speaking of Steve Simmons..

steve simmons @simmonsteve
If I'd written better this year the Leafs would have at least 10 more wins. #blamegame

lol

trifelife

Good god I feel awful. My face is super numb and it sucks.

I didn't think Jaw Surgery would be this shitty.

Btw anyone got any Recipes for Liquid Diets?

:( get well soon

In a blender, combine:

1 cup almond/coconut/rice/oat or cow milk
1 banana
1 tbsp peanut butter
1/3 cup yogurt (6-11% MF is best, but w/e)
handful of frozen fruit
handful of almonds
1 scoop protein (if you wish)
1 tsp chia seeds (far from essential)

Parch

He handles it pretty well? Really? I understand how awful the media is, but come on.
It's pretty obvious that Kessel isn't comfortable talking to the media. If he had a choice I'm sure he wouldn't do it at all. Just because he's a bit cold towards the media is a reason for them to pick on him.

Media hate the guys who just give the cliche robotic answers, but they really hate the guys who don't want to talk to them at all. Reluctance isn't helping Kessel's relationship with the media.

zroid

Banned
It is a snowball effect. The media has been picking on Phil for so long that of course he's reluctant to talk to them. What has he actually done to warrant the treatment he receives? Not much. He never gets into any trouble off the ice. He has never stopped producing on-ice results.

Since Carlyle was fired, he's actually been talking to them frequently. It was a bit refreshing to see him come out of his shell a bit (no doubt encouraged by management). Recently he didn't talk to them for the first time in a while and he was heavily criticized for it.

What do people expect?

Phil Kessel is one of the best Players in Hockey. It sucks he has to go through all that shit in the Toronto media.
:( get well soon

In a blender, combine:

1 cup almond/coconut/rice/oat or cow milk
1 banana
1 tbsp peanut butter
1/3 cup yogurt (6-11% MF is best, but w/e)
handful of frozen fruit
handful of almonds
1 scoop protein (if you wish)
1 tsp chia seeds (far from essential)
I should make a Blending OT in Off Topic

lol the Sabres lines, featuring #1 center Phil Varone. And even with all the AHLers, Hodgson can't crack the top 6:

PROJECTED LINEUP
26 Matt Moulson – 84 Philip Varone – 63 Tyler Ennis
82 Marcus Foligno – 22 Johan Larsson – 12 Brian Gionta
44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 59 Tim Schaller – 19 Cody Hodgson
49 Jerry D’Amigo – 37 Matt Ellis – 20 Zac Dalpe

61 Andre Benoit – 47 Zach Bogosian
51 Nikita Zadorov – 41 Andrej Meszaros
6 Mike Weber – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

35 Anders Lindback
33 Chad Johnson

lol the Sabres lines, featuring #1 center Phil Varone. And even with all the AHLers, Hodgson can't crack the top 6:

PROJECTED LINEUP

35 Anders Lindback
33 Chad Johnson

Wow. No intended tanking there.

Socreges

Banned

PROJECTED LINEUP

35 Anders Lindback
33 Chad Johnson
So that's where Zac Dalpe ended up. Glad to see he's still in the *air quotes* "NHL".

Yawnier

Banned

PROJECTED LINEUP

35 Anders Lindback
33 Chad Johnson

Jerry D’Amigo gonna take you guys to the cup

zroid

Banned

PROJECTED LINEUP

35 Anders Lindback
33 Chad Johnson

legendary

tanking gets a bad rap but I kind of admire legit tanking in a way. it's better than what the Leafs were doing.

Top Bottom